In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

deer and bow

mwtownsendmwtownsend Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
Can some one tell me what are to average, acceptable kill yardages for a bow using 100 grain broadheads at 60lb. I have been practicing at 15-25-35 yards. Should I be practicing at greater distances for competency. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10 yards, clear shooting lanes, wind doesn't matter too much
    20 yards, clear shot, take into account wind drift if any, no the distance
    30 yards, wide open shot (out into a field, not through the woods) little to no wind
    35 wide open, no wind

When hunting the things that get you are limbs and small weeds that you can't see, but the arrow will find them.

By practicing at longer ranges it will help you with your short shots. If you can put all your arrows into a 4 inch circle at 50 yards, your groupings at 20 yards are going to greatly decrease. It also lets you learn what your arrow is going to do with certain wind conditions that you may not know at when shooting 20 yards.

With that said, I don't think there are many of use out there that can honestly say to yourself that a 50 yard shot is going to be a clean shot. I know there are a few people that can do it, and would be surprised to miss. Does that mean I should do it?

I like the 10 and 20 yard shots because I know with great confidence I can put the arrow where I want it.

Lets take this example of what things can happen when your setting up your kill shot. I had a deer 2 years ago, there were 2 of them. I was going to shoot one of them. This was about a 10-15 yard shot, almost perfectly broadside. There was a tree in the way, so I pulled back, put my sight on a spot and waited for the deer to walk a few feet. I wasn't paying much attention to body movement and such. It walked far enough and I let it rip only to see the arrow sticking straight out of the deers head, right in between the eyes. The damn thing must of itched its back or something. Was it a clean kill? NO Did I expect to shoot the damn deer in the square in the head? NO

When you start getting farther away, the more things can go wrong, even at 10 yards.