In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

the portable block target

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
[:(] The portable block target claims you can shoot thouslands of shots with broadheads without a pass through this simply is not true. There advertisement is missleading. I purchaced a portable block target and was lucky to have shot 100 arrows before I was blowing through this target. A simple peice of dense foam worked better. After contacting the manufacturer he said " THE TARGET WAS NOT MADE TO BE POUNDED WITH BROADHEADS" This is just the opposite of what they advertise. Just beware if you plan to buy the block target it will not last if you plan to shoot broadheads at it. I am sure it's fine with feild tips but I don't hunt with feild tips so why would I practice with them. In closing I was very dissipointed with the target and the response I recieved from the manufacturer.

Comments

• gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the block target I absolutely love mine probably 1000 plus shots and still going strong. Which size block target did you get? what broadheads are you shooting? What pound bow are you shooting?
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the block target I absolutely love mine probably 1000 plus shots and still going strong. Which size block target did you get? what broadheads are you shooting? What pound bow are you shooting?
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I prefer those bag targets with the screen looking stuff in them. Not sure what they are called but Cabela's sells them.

A couple bales of straw always does just fine to if you put some distance on your shots

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

The portable block. Mathews SQ2 muzzy 100gr broadheads carbon arrows wiskr biscut 70 lbs I understand broadheads cut the target but the ad vertisement clearly states the portable block will take thouslands of broadhead shots Ican prove this is not true so I feel I paid $60 to shoot at a target for 2 days Ripoff. Try it yourself
    edited November -1
    I have the block target mine is an older model than the ones currently shown on cabellas although mine is roughly the dimensions of the outfitter. I have had it for 2 years and absolutely love it, am now on my third bow with it. Now with mathews outback 72 lbs according to the scale, mpsi drop away rest, gold tip xt 22 carbon arrows, I shoot rocket sidewinders at it with no problems. Did you put the target on its side when you shot at it so the fins were vertical? I have never had a pass through on mine yet although a couple of spots are geting thin but what the heck I have had it for a lot longer than any other target.
  • runt-hunterrunt-hunter Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a block target and I am not that impressed with it either. My arrows blow up to the fletching and I haven't shot it very much. I buy 100 pound cotton bails from a furniture factory for about 10 dollars. They are around 3x3 and a foot thick. It takes forever to wear these out. In fact, the cotton never wears out. The bands eventually break. I have had arrows bounce back at me when the target is new. The arrows pull out easy. Bad thing is, it is not good for broadheads, you can't get your arrows back out. For broadheads, I go down to Current river and shoot into the sand. Sand will dull your broadhead so I keep some just for practice. There are no good broadhead targets that are affordable. Foam targets can heal up but the can't perform miracles.
    edited November -1
    I have the block target mine is an older model than the ones currently shown on cabellas although mine is roughly the dimensions of the outfitter. I have had it for 2 years and absolutely love it, am now on my third bow with it. Now with mathews outback 72 lbs according to the scale, mpsi drop away rest, gold tip xt 22 carbon arrows, I shoot rocket sidewinders at it with no problems. Did you put the target on its side when you shot at it so the fins were vertical? I have never had a pass through on mine yet although a couple of spots are geting thin but what the heck I have had it for a lot longer than any other target.
    My target is the block portable your target is most likely larger therefor would last longer. Im puzzled how the block can say thouslands of broadhead shots at this model target when i blew through it with less than 100. If the block is willing to send me another target I will video 100 broadhead shots from mathews sq2 and muzzy 100gr broadheads and prove there claim is boooooogus. I'm more pissed that they tried to say the consumer has to realize your shooting broadheads at it. furthermor the feild tech told me he has been trying to get the owners to change the ad that only feild tips will allow thouslands of shots. False advertising as far as i'm concerned.
    edited November -1
    Back to one of my questions, did you turn the block on its side so that the fins were running vertically? This is verey important as it will extend the life of your target.
    edited November -1
    Back to one of my questions, did you turn the block on its side so that the fins were running vertically? This is verey important as it will extend the life of your target.
    Yes I read the instructions on top of the target and followed them. if you see a video then will you believe it? you are not going to tell me you have been shooting at the block for two years with broadheads. I think possibly mabe the company had a defective target but i'll never know because they wont admit it. they might make a good target but they suck when it comes to treating their customers right after they have had a problem. Maybe I should try shooting it with those little suction cup tips. then it be ok. sorry if I sound cocky I'm pissed work hard for my money and take my hunting seriously.
    edited November -1
    Yes I am going to tell you I have been shooting my block target for 2 years with broadheads, because I have maybe if you simply remeber you bet what you pay for you will be a little less hesitant to spen the extra money and get the bigger target. Not only is the portable block small in size but it is short on depth, I beleive this is where your problem lies. I have had no problems with mine but then again I didn't go cheap as I do not like to do things half a$$ed.
    edited November -1
    Yes I am going to tell you I have been shooting my block target for 2 years with broadheads, because I have maybe if you simply remeber you bet what you pay for you will be a little less hesitant to spen the extra money and get the bigger target. Not only is the portable block small in size but it is short on depth, I beleive this is where your problem lies. I have had no problems with mine but then again I didn't go cheap as I do not like to do things half a$$ed.
    [xx(]Nimrod I dident buy it cause it was cheap I bought it cause it was small and I travel with it.I hunt in many different states.Don't pass judgment on people you don't even know. Also I did not write the advertisement for the portable block making the claims. If your happy with yours continue to use it. I will not purchace another one. 150 class last year N Dakota 140 class tis year Illinois Does not sound half a$$ed to me. Numbnut.
    edited November -1
    NUMBNUT? I have a few choice words I would love to call you that simply aren't appropriate for the forum, however if ignorance is bliss you must be very content with yourself right about now. You seem to be playing both sides of the argument to whichever side fits you best (much like my 6 year old niece). You say you didn't buy the low end model because it was cheap, you bought it to travel with? Then why are you shooting it so much almost like you are shooting it as your main target? Huh portability or cheap sounds a lot like cheap to me. You say you got a 150 last year and a 140 this year? A picture is worth a thousand words till I see something you are just blowing smoke because I don't believe you!!!!!! Oh here is a suggestion try shooting mechanicals they fly just like your fieldtips so you don't have to practice with them. Wow who'd of thunk it you could get a broadhead that fly's like a fieldtip, they have only had this technology for how long now, heres a suggestion try using it.
    Get stuffed,
    Hairy Ballzanya
    edited November -1
    boys boys, come on now. Disagree with one another, fine. Don't get to in depth with your anger, remember the youth on here.[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    NUMBNUT? I have a few choice words I would love to call you that simply aren't appropriate for the forum, however if ignorance is bliss you must be very content with yourself right about now. You seem to be playing both sides of the argument to whichever side fits you best (much like my 6 year old niece). You say you didn't buy the low end model because it was cheap, you bought it to travel with? Then why are you shooting it so much almost like you are shooting it as your main target? Huh portability or cheap sounds a lot like cheap to me. You say you got a 150 last year and a 140 this year? A picture is worth a thousand words till I see something you are just blowing smoke because I don't believe you!!!!!! Oh here is a suggestion try shooting mechanicals they fly just like your fieldtips so you don't have to practice with them. Wow who'd of thunk it you could get a broadhead that fly's like a fieldtip, they have only had this technology for how long now, heres a suggestion try using it.
    Get stuffed,
    Hairy Ballzanya
    I don't use mechanicals because they are not leagal in my home State of R.I. check it out if you don't believe me. I tried to send pictures on the site they did not accept them Give me an e-mail adress and I will be happy to send you the pictures of the two bucks. I was simply stating the results that I had with the portable block. I expected much more life based on their advertisements. I don't know why you turned it personal. I am glad your target lasted for you. You will notice that they have now changed their television ad. It now says 12000 with feildtips only. I will put the question to you why did they change the ad? I'm sure not just because of my single complaint ? I'm sure they have had many . try to be more objective. one more question do you work for the target co?? if not you should. Lets move on to somthing else I'm sure we fimd somthing we agree on.Have you heard of slick trick broad heads?
    edited November -1
    I never meant to take anything personal, but the name calling really ticks me off as I see no place for it here or anywhere for that matter. I saw a lot of wholes in your analysis of the block target and I was simply trying to get you to fill them in for me. I found it extremely dificult to believe that your results with that target were as poor as they were. As for the company I have not seen one of there ads on television so I would not know if or how the ads changed. As for them changed the nomenclature of their ads I say it probaly has to do with people not utilizing the entire surface area of the target and pounding a hole in the center then getting angry when it does so. My email adress is listed under my user info or should be anyway I would love to see the pictures of you bucks. As for the slick trick broadheads no I have not heard of them. Why are mechanical broadheads
    edited November -1
    buckeyboy, post your deer on photobucket.com so we can all see them, I know I'd like to.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    buckeyboy, post your deer on photobucket.com so we can all see them, I know I'd like to.
    [8D] I live in "Rhode Island" this state does everything the opposite of the others. In our Hunting abstract it states the use of mechanical broadheads is prohibited. I will try to find out why personally I believe for novice bow hunters this would eliminate many deer that are wounded because of bad arrow flight. Iwould love to try mechanicals. go on the net and look up slick trick broadheads I have shot them their awsome. I am waiting for photo bocket to send me conformation of sign in so I can post the pictures of the deer.send me you e-mail and i will foward the pictures to you. oh yea the Block company called me back and said possibly the target was defective and is sending me their largest target free of charge. so I must retract what I said about their customer relations.

HE WHO HESITSTES IS LOST
    edited November -1
    buckeyboy, you have mail.