In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

how did you start hunting.

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
whoever has time write a little story on how you became hooked on hunting. Did your family hunt?? Did a friend take you>>> Or did you just have intrest on your own.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I just decided I wanted to try it one day. I have a friend that has hunted for years and had a place to take me. I did a lot of reading and watching hunting programs, to figure out the how pretty much. The first several trips out almost ruined it for me cause I didn't see anything, finally I saw deer got all shakey, could here my heart beat, tried to draw my bow and couldn't, that was all it took. Now I am 100% addicted to archery hunting.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was always fun when my dad was able to bring home a deer.

Then, driving the tractor to where I hunted, the first day, not 30 minutes into my stand. Up walks a realy nice 6 point. Of course I let an arrow fly. Hitting him right behind the shoulder. He ran off oposite direction at which point I ran to the tractor, it was probably at least a quarter mile, you can imagine me at a full sprint with bow in hand running through fields to get to the tractor and get someone on the radio. What ultimately sucked is I must have hit him to low, maybe less then an inch. We got good blood, the woods I was hunting was big, about 300 acres or so. Thats big for my part of Ohio. My stand was at one end of the woods on the northside. The deer rain to the west, then back to the east several times staying in the woods. We jumped him at the southside of the woods probably about 2 hours later, still with really good blood, probably a lung shot. Pink with bubbles and stuff. He then went out the east side of the woods, across several of our fields, a plowed field, then across a road at which point he was still bleeding cause there was blood on the road and then into a still standing corn field. We lost the trail then and my Dad went back the next morning to still not be able to find the trail. I am sure that the deer probably died in that cornfield, cause he just lost way to much blood. [:(][V]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Well I was fortunate[^] my Dad hunted and I just loved to be around him and his friends[:)] I was maybe six years old when he started taking me Mushrooming hunting Fishing, and my love for hunting just got stronger and stronger. Shot my first six point buck when I was 15 years old.[^][^] Boy was I proud when all dads friends were congradulating me. my head was the size of a basketball[:I][:I] My brother got a spike the same morning.[^]
    I really went nuts hunting in my twenties right through to about40 years old. I'm not losing intrest now but in all honesty now the hunt for me is having a good time weather I kill somthing or not. "Thats my story and I'm stick'en too it.[;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    My Father never hunted, but my grandfather and uncle did. I grew up loving to fish, and begging to hunt. Finally when I was about 7 years old, my dad gave me the obligatory single shot 20ga. I went out with my uncle, and within the first 10 minutes, tripped and stuck my barrell in the mud. He poked out the mud with a stick, and then I shot a fox squirell. It got stuck in a crook of the tree. So, I shot it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and probably again. It never did fall. I've been hooked ever since.

Ben
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i wonder if its balls were just dangling there....
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dad got me hooked on hunting around the age of 7 been hunting and loving it ever since
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    i wonder if its balls were just dangling there....

I bet they were. That could of even been what got caught in the fork.

Ben
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    It was a family thing for me, I grew up hunting with my dad and brother.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    It was a family thing for me, I grew up hunting with my dad and brother. yep me too thats cool Good to hear from ya SUSP. Stay cool tootsie[:D]
  • KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad hunts. So my brothers and I picked it up from that. My younger brother and him also archery hunt so I thought i would try it. Finally got a bow this year. Of course it has a little to do with the fact i cant carry a gun outside and shoot it in town, there are a lot of dang stray cats here, and the hunting laws are constantly changing the last few years. So I figured I would give myself a little more time in the woods and get to kill another deer. Oh yeah, and I got married the day before opening weekend of rifle season here so i needed some type of trade off. lol
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    i just always wanted to go hunting.my dad used to hunt, but not anymore. so i go with my uncles. and a friend of my parents offered to teach me how to bowhunt.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    It was a family thing for me, I grew up hunting with my dad and brother. yep me too thats cool Good to hear from ya SUSP. Stay cool tootsie[:D]

who the hecks tootsie [?] [:I]
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always went with Dad till he passed. Then went with uncles and Gramps till I got my first gun at 12...Then I was on my own mostly...Never stopped!