In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Moultrie game camera

pscgradpscgrad Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
I'm thinking about purchaseing a moultrie game camera. However I just read several reviews on the d40. Most of them stating how hard they are on batteries, the flash stops working etc. Is moultrie a good company for cameras? I will use this camera for scouting, however i don't want to spend a small fortune. I would like picture s taken at night. Is IR better than just the plain old flash? I'm thinking of getting one with no less than 4MP. What does everyone think about Moultrie & other cameras.

Comments

• DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got the D40 and it works great. I paid $99 for it and have had it 3 years now. It will last about 4 weeks on one set of batteries depending on how cold it gets. I take it down during hunting season, so I have never used it during really cold weather. I've had no issues with the flash on mine. HOWEVER, I bought my Dad one and we had to send it back. Moultrie sent him a brand new camera and it has been flawless so far. Moultrie does stand behind the product and are good people to deal with if you have problems. I got about 40 pics of a decent 8 point, so I'm not real sure about the flash scaring the bucks. Here is a pic from my D40.

Regards, Don

bb3.jpg
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    you can get an I60 infared night color day for 199.00 great cams I have 1 I 40 and 1 I 60 the 60 has a viewfinder to see pix in the feild..MDGC0141.jpg
    MDGC0014.jpg
    daytime pix
    MDGC0005_edited.jpg
  • BBQGUYBBQGUY Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the 5.0 and absolutely WOULD NOT buy another one. Batteries last about 4-6 days or about 23-25 pictures depending on how many shots have used the flash. Tried to call the company a few times but the wait/hold time was estimated at 52 minutes! Was a christmas gift, and by the time I got around to using it much the warranty was up. Have heard the same complaint from one other hunter. Try another company. You don't need to be pulling your camera every 5 days right before season to change batteries. Especially 6 D's. May want to look at the 6" bushnell that uses AA's. JMHO
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BBQGUY
    I have the 5.0 and absolutely WOULD NOT buy another one. Batteries last about 4-6 days or about 23-25 pictures depending on how many shots have used the flash. Tried to call the company a few times but the wait/hold time was estimated at 52 minutes! Was a christmas gift, and by the time I got around to using it much the warranty was up. Have heard the same complaint from one other hunter. Try another company. You don't need to be pulling your camera every 5 days right before season to change batteries. Especially 6 D's. May want to look at the 6" bushnell that uses AA's. JMHO
    wow thats weird I check mine every 3 weeks and still have 80 % battery life left.. guess you got a lemmon that sucks
  • pscgradpscgrad Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats on track with what i have read in the reviews. Not sure what to do. I don't know that i'll be buying any camera for another month or 2. I'm going to do some more research. I have enough problems with every other aspect of life. I don't need the added aggravation
    from a simple camera.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was playing with a Predator cam last week in WI. They are spendy, but what a camera! If I where in the market for a trail cam that would be the one for me. Personally I'm done with them. Had 2 stolen in a week, both in less than 24hrs of being put out.

My dad would likely give his Cuddeback away. He has hated it since he got it. Nothing but problems with his. Oh and never any help from Cuddeback either.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I've heard good things about the Covert line
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I've heard good things about the Covert line
    just bought one its called monarch now.. "boarman" on AT has a special right now 185. I have it in the feild now I will post review when I pull the card this weekend its tiny fits in the palm of your hand..
  • ljc2tallljc2tall Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a cuddeback capture. 1500 pics on one set of batteries. Mine has a flash not the infared. Of the 1500 pics everyone was of game, no waving grass or leaves. 199.00 from cabelas, cheaper on ebay
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ljc2tall
    Buy a cuddeback capture. 1500 pics on one set of batteries. Mine has a flash not the infared. Of the 1500 pics everyone was of game, no waving grass or leaves. 199.00 from cabelas, cheaper on ebay
    no offence cuddlebacs are way over priced for what you get
    I only buy commertial cams for IR other than that cant beat homebrew [;)]
    edited November -1
    I'd be real surprised if there is not a Gold Tip arrow and Montec BH in my dad's Cuddeback by now. It has been out on a feeder to see what is in the area for 3 weeks. Feed is gone daily, but the only pictures are of him filling it. It will not take a picture of a deer, or almost anything else for that matter. He has had it back to the MFG several times, they even replaced it once. It has never worked for him.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I'd be real surprised if there is not a Gold Tip arrow and Montec BH in my dad's Cuddeback by now. It has been out on a feeder to see what is in the area for 3 weeks. Feed is gone daily, but the only pictures are of him filling it. It will not take a picture of a deer, or almost anything else for that matter. He has had it back to the MFG several times, they even replaced it once. It has never worked for him.

Help him out and make sure he's programing/setting it up right[;)]Have him move it within 25' of feeder and make sure it hangs NO higher than 4' and angle it down to the feeder...check to make sure the flash is "on"...Some game-cams you can set to "test" and move in front of it and see if it triggers{light activates on movement}..
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT

Help him out and make sure he's programing/setting it up right[;)]Have him move it within 25' of feeder and make sure it hangs NO higher than 4' and angle it down to the feeder...check to make sure the flash is "on"...Some game-cams you can set to "test" and move in front of it and see if it triggers{light activates on movement}..

4ft? really? I'll have to try that, I set mine knee high.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT

Done all of that. The light shows it is working, but never a picture of anything but him. He has been fighting it for 3 years now. I think I have him talked into a Predator. Just might be a joint gift from my brother and I for his B-day.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm... Must be a bad one...I was thinking of buying a cuddie too...I use the moultree's and stealth-cams{cheap} and the moultree's do eat-up the D batteries pretty fast. The stealth cams take the aa's but dont like having to get the film developed anymore...I have become addicted to using cameras over the past few years and they really can help out with your freezer-fill and its always nice to know whats hanging around your stands/traveling your trails/eating at your feeders and most importantly; getting a rough estimate of what time you need to be there to increase your chances of seeing what your after..