In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Measuring my wife

BigEdBigEd Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
Any suggestions on how to give a bow to my wife? There is a used one available with a 26 inch draw length but I'm not sure that's going to be correct. It's supposed to be 40-50 pounds. She hit me once several years ago which makes me think she could handle a 50 pound bow.[B)]

Comments

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Hey take her to a shop and get her measured that worked best for me.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I would suggest the shop as well.
    quote:She hit me once several years ago which makes me think she could handle a 50 pound bow.

hhmmmmm, Have her take another swing she would be up to 60#. [:D][;)]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BigEd
    She hit me once several years ago which makes me think she could handle a 50 pound bow.[B)]

[:0][B)]What did you learn?[:D]

...and yeah, I think that 'fit' is just a starting point to find 'comfort'. Make sure she has her release when she's trying them out.

Ben
  • BigEdBigEd Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bow was on EBay and has sold by now....it was located in Maine or Maryland or someplace like that....I was gonna surprise her, hence my question. Thank you for the replies. What looked to be a fairly complete setup of a PSE Nova sold for 112.50 less a release and arrows. Probably was a dumb idea anyway.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Originally posted by BigEd
    She hit me once several years ago which makes me think she could handle a 50 pound bow.[B)]

[:0][B)]What did you learn?[:D]

I know what I learned years ago when mine took a swing at me. Learn to duck faster, or do the old bob and weave[B)]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • BigEdBigEd Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was really more of a love slug than anything else as I recall...I'm sure I richly deserved it at the time[:)]. But seriously, should a person avoid any effort to approximate the specifications for a bow setup? If the bow has adjustments for length of pull and weight of pull a guy should be able to get pretty close to a fit. In this case it would have only been a starter setup to introduce her to shooting a bow and if she didn't like it I wouldn't have so much tied up in equipment. What do you experts think?
    edited November -1
    My first couple bows came from pawn shops. I had a blast with them and finally got officially measured and have one on the way that is fit to me. I am sure I will be better with the one fit to me but I did kill a hog my first season with one that was not fit to me. Try a pawn shop first.
    edited November -1
    Most length adjustments that i've seen need the bow to be put in a press. In other words, i'd have her proffesionally fit to her draw length. Most shops are more than happy to get you set up and going. Then ya don't get another love slug for having the wrong fitting bow.

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    What i do is wrestle mine down then pin her up against the couch then I get out the tape measure and go to town. [^]

For bow measurements I'd take her to the shop and have them do it.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    Dang Sus you are my kinda man [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    What i do is wrestle mine down then pin her up against the couch then I get out the tape measure and go to town. [^]

For bow measurements I'd take her to the shop and have them do it.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Ah to be a newlywed again, if I tried that my woman would have me beat senseless (uh!! to late fer that one) [:D] Sorry I got off the subject there BigEd, it's all buckeys fault (since he's not here to defend himself)[8D]

edited November -1
    You guys wouldn't even want to know what I have to do to get her shoe size! It involves fletching feathers and hot oil!! [:0][;)]

gagirl I'm the sharing type, but my wifes not. [:(] [;)]

hey taco, where is buckey? Has he been back since the site was down?

edited November -1
    Nope haven't seen him, I sent him an e-mail through his work letting him know we're back.

edited November -1
    East coast people are always late huh. [;)]

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    i'm glad I read this I was fixin to send him an email.[;)]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine