In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Drop Away Rests

trouttruetrouttrue Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
Hey guys, need some information here regarding drop away rests on my bow. I do not have one currently and am very interested in converting. I was wondering a lot of things such as brand preference, pros/cons, and anything else you can give me about them.
Thanks!

Dave

Comments

• trouttruetrouttrue Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with drop away rests good bad pros cons?
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    i have a NAP drop away rest and i love it. if you get one make sure you let a professional put it on. some are a litlle pricey, but like i said i like mine. no problems yet.....[:D]
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one as well and I like it. Check with buckeyboy he had/has one for sale I don't know if it sold or not, pretty good deal though.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guy, I have been looking at the trophy ridge any info on this rest? Is there a rest call dead nuts????? I thought i have seen it on a hunting show. I have always used NAP thunderheads and am very happy with the results. So im sure there rest is of good quality.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trouttrue
    Thanks Guy, I have been looking at the trophy ridge any info on this rest? Is there a rest call dead nuts????? I thought i have seen it on a hunting show. I have always used NAP thunderheads and am very happy with the results. So im sure there rest is of good quality.
    like i said, i have a NAP drop away rest and i am very pleased with the results. From what i have heard the trophy ridge is a good rest. i was going to get a trophy ridge but it was $80 i think and i got my NAP for $50. There is NOT a rest called dead nuts. That is a sight made by copper john. that is the sight i have. i really like it too.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the NAP rest. I broke the slider 3 times since last summer, NAP sent me a new one each time. I finally, a couple of weeks ago, decided to get rid of the slider, drilled the whole out bigger for loop material. No matter what I did, I could not get rid of fletching contact. So I went and bought a trophy taker, now I tell you what, the trophy taker is amazing, better quality, and easier to adjust then the NAP rest.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the trophy ridge Dropzone. Really great rest. The only issue I have had is beating up the foam arrow holder with my fletch. Also my dad had a problem on his switchback getting enough adjustment out of it. Trophy ridge has since fixed that with more adjustment. I would highly recomend a dropzone to anyone and everyone interested in drop away rests.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Whisker Biscuit rest. I may loose a little in overall accuracy but the reason that I shoot this type over a drop away is that it simply holds my arrow in place no matter how I hold or position my bow. The fibers in the biscuit surround the arrow and hold it solid. I could see the advantage of the drop-away rest if I were shooting competations but for hunting, I would rather not have to worry about my arrow falling off my rest when I get ready to make a shoot or worrying about what position my arrow is in after sitting for several hours. With the biscuit, it's always ready. Plus, it's fewer moving parts and thus less to go wrong. Glad you found us, welcome and join the madness![:D]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a dropzone that i'm selling for a friend, he wants 50 for it.
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    QAD Ultra-rest. full containment, stays cocked even if you let down slowly, quiet, easy to install, 12 fps faster than the whisker biscuit on my bow, nuff said.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201
    QAD Ultra-rest. full containment, stays cocked even if you let down slowly, quiet, easy to install, 12 fps faster than the whisker biscuit on my bow, nuff said.

Wow I didn't know it slowed'em that much.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Wow I didn't know it slowed'em that much.

well, that was just my bow. it shoots avg of 268 now. with the biscuit it was avg 256. i loved the biscuit to death but i was having problems with my fletchings. then my ex-boss created the ultra-rest, and it was free, so i switched. honestly, about all the drop aways on the market on pretty darn good. i'm just bias toward the Ultra-rest because i watched it grow from just an idea to an actual product and while i had no part in design, i did help manufacture the very first one!
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Not doubting you but I put a ripcord on mine and only gained a couple fps. When I ask the help desk at trophy ridge they said you only pick up 2-4 fps. Did you do anything different to your set up?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413

Not doubting you but I put a ripcord on mine and only gained a couple fps. When I ask the help desk at trophy ridge they said you only pick up 2-4 fps. Did you do anything different to your set up?

nope, i didn't change anything else. i shot it through the chrono with the whisker biscuit, then immidiately put my U.R. on, tuned it up and shot it through the exact same chrono at the exact same distance, with the exact same arrow and field point, with the exact draw weight, and the difference was 12 fps.
    edited November -1
    Hey Racer, are you sure you were shooting the correct diameter biscut? They come in two sizes. One for small diameter arrows like carbons and the other is a larger diameter for aluminum. That could have been putting extra drag on your arrows. Like taco, seems like you gained much more than what I would have expected. But in the in, you gotta shoot what you are comfortable with![;)]
    edited November -1
    yup, i had the right biscuit. all i can suggest is go to your local shop and shoot a whisker biscuit and then shoot a drop away and see what the speed difference is for your bow.

i really don't think 12 fps is that unreasonable when you consider what's happening. with the biscuit, the entire arrow shaft is rubbing the whiskers, creating drag. then 3 fletching are being dragged through the whiskers simultaneously, creating even more drag. with a drop away, neither the shaft or the fletching make contact with the rest.

i dunno, maybe i just had a really tight biscuit.
    edited November -1
    yup, i had the right biscuit. all i can suggest is go to your local shop and shoot a whisker biscuit and then shoot a drop away and see what the speed difference is for your bow.

i really don't think 12 fps is that unreasonable when you consider what's happening. with the biscuit, the entire arrow shaft is rubbing the whiskers, creating drag. then 3 fletching are being dragged through the whiskers simultaneously, creating even more drag. with a drop away, neither the shaft or the fletching make contact with the rest.

i dunno, maybe i just had a really tight biscuit.

(Butthead voice) Uuuhh, huuh,hhuhh, you said tight biscuit.

my bisciut only contacts the arrow on the bottom, the space that doesn't touch it very, very small but it doesn't drag on the whole arrow.

(butthead voice again) uuuhh huh huh did you wax your shafts?
    edited November -1
    uuuhhhhh uhuh... you said "wax your shaft!" I hope you do that in private![:D]
    edited November -1
    sorry, i will clarify what i mean by entire shaft. i didn't mean the entire circumference of the shaft makes contact, but yet the length of the entire shaft does. i know it doesn't seem like a lot, but every little bit adds up.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    uuuhhhhh uhuh... you said "wax your shaft!" I hope you do that in private![:D]

I'm not tellin'
    edited November -1
    Hey Trout, hope we didn't scare you off![:I] We tend to have a good time and go off on tangents that are unintended at times. That's why I say welcome to the madness![:D]
    edited November -1
    Nope didnt care me off. I was just alittle busy doing my homework on these drop aways. Boy there is sure is a big enough price differents in them. From what im seeing now im leaning toward the qad ultra rest,I like the features. So i hope i have made the right choice to add this rest to my Hoyt.

Thanks for the help here!!!
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Whisker Biscuit QS for hunting..Less moving parts the better.
    Slash: I think there is 3 sizes small.17XX ..med 22XX/carbon.. large 23XX above.
    edited November -1
    WOO HOOO!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Another HOYT shooter!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

WOOO HOOO!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slash don't get too excited it is only a matter of time before he sees the light and comes on over to the good side.
    edited November -1
    yes slash, he will be on the good side verry sooon......
    edited November -1
    Slash, Goodside we are on the good side aren"t we??? Tell me how to add a pic on this site and ill show you all the buck that that hoyt connected with this last season.
    Thanks for all the info guys,
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    here is the rest I have it's by vitak bow gear . used twice I just prefer the whisker bisciut. maybe I just got so used to it..

vital bow gear
    kaz away rest.
    72268214468080_01.jpg the cheapest I have seen is 99.00 will let ya have her for 65.oo
    edited November -1
    quote:trouttrue Posted - 04/03/2006 : 1:47:43 PM
    Slash, Goodside we are on the good side aren"t we??? Tell me how to add a pic on this site and ill show you all the buck that that hoyt connected with this last season.
    Thanks for all the info guys,

Okay Trout, first off, NEVER let the "mathletes" get a whiff of doubt. (that would be from "aren't we"![:D][:o)] Next, we ARE on the GOOD SIDE but the mathletes try to get people to go over to the dark side. As for adding the pic, that's a little more difficult. The easiest way that I have found is to use a free site like "photobucket.com" You will have to upload your pic to the site after you set up an account and then copy that information into the post. It sounds complicated but it's really not after you've done one or two. If you don't want to give it a try, you can email it to me and I'll post it for you! Let me know!
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    here is the rest I have it's by vitak bow gear . used twice I just prefer the whisker bisciut. maybe I just got so used to it..

vital bow gear
    kaz away rest.
    72268214468080_01.jpg the cheapest I have seen is 99.00 will let ya have her for 65.oo

Humm You up the $$..lol
    edited November -1
    I up the dollars .,.. me no understand. no obla.[?] Muchacho[?]
    edited November -1
    Here's a couple photos of my 2005 bow kill, Shot with my trusty Hoyt.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/trouttrue/DCP_0310.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/trouttrue/DCP_0311.jpg
    I hope this works, if i did something wrong slash let me know and ill just send you the pics in an email so you can post for me.

Oh i love my Hoyt[:)][:)][:)][:D]
    edited November -1
    Nice animal! Just think what you could have gotten with a Mathews.

Just playin man. nice job welcome to the funny farm.
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention specs on that buck 190# 19 1/2 inside spread dont know the score yet the taxidermist still hasnt let me know.

Cant wait tell this fall[:D] [:D] [:D]
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention specs on that buck 190# 19 1/2 inside spread dont know the score yet the taxidermist still hasnt let me know.

5 months 3-1/2 weeks til Oct 1.
    edited November -1
    sweet buck true.....me like. there are some wierd antlers though......but nice[:D]
    edited November -1

My guess is 125/130ish nice buck .....for a hoyt shooter[;)]
    edited November -1
    Nice Buck... Was one of his legs under the leaves[?] When you copied the info from photobucket to here, if you copy ONLY the IMG without using the "insert IMG" button from the "format" area over the message area, it SHOULD insert the picture rather than a link like this. This is the pic of my deer from this year. Dec 10 muzzleloader. Let me know if you need any other help getting it posted. 12-10-05.jpg
    edited November -1
    NICE BUCKS FOR HOYT GUY'S.........