In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bear hunt

hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
Just got back from my second bear hunt in Saskatchewan, Canada. There were 4 hunters in our camp and all four hunters brought home a bear. The outfitter I hunted with does a great job putting you on a good bear. If anyone is interested in a Saskatchewan bear hunt you can e-mail me at bkt76rpt79@aol.com and I will give you all the details.

Hornet

Comments

• hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A supplier from work, also a friend, wants me to go on a black bear hunt to Canada with him and two other guys. $1800, you buy your own food, provide your own transportation to & from their base camp. Seems steep for a little ole black bear, what do you guys think? It's semi guided, meaning they drop you off in the morning and pick you up in the evening. Plus, he checked with the place and they said no archery, firearms only. I think I'm gonna pass on this one, but have any of you done much bear hunting?

For that kind of money I could make two trips to Colorado for Elk. [:D]
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Got any pictures to share? What did you get?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    This was my second hunt with this outfiter. Last year I got a 7 foot bear that almost made Pope & Young, 17 1/2" skull. This year I took an avrage size bear, 5 1/2, 15" skull both were black but I saw several different color bears that I passed because they were to small. The hunt is $1800.00 plus your licnese. You stay in cabins at a state park that is near by, this is included in the price. You bring your own food , there are plenty of stores to by food at. Drop me an e-mail if you are interested and I will set you up.

Hornet
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Did you guys bring home the meat?
    If so, how is it? I've never eaten bear.

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I had some black bear once in West Virginia, it was kinda stringy, but had a really good flavor. I liked it. I had always heard it was greasey and strong, but that was not right at all.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    Suspension, I do have plenty of pictures and pictures of smaller bears I saw while hunting. If you will send me your e-mail address I will be happy to send them to you. There were 4 hunters in camp and all four of us got a bear. No one killed a large bear in our group this time but the week before the outfiter had a rifle hunter who kiled a 398 pound boar that squared 8 foot. This is not a guess weight it was weighed on a scale.
    Fishermanben, we did bring home the meet last years meet ban from Saskatchewan had been lifted. I brought home the back straps and wish I had brought back the whole bear, not enough room in my bag. The meet was very tasty, my family really liked it. We grilled one of the back straps a few days after I got back. To me it taste like pork ribs, just my openion. Guy's this is a really good hunt, very relaxing, no pressure on you at all to kill something. You see so many bears you have to be salective and wait on a big one or the one that you want. There are many different color phases of bear up there, it is a matter of personal prefrance. If you have ever want to take a bear this is the place to go. All you have to do is drop me a e-mail and I can give you all the details. bkt76rpt79@aol.com The guide will be gone for 3 months to British Colimbua guiding on his other hunting lease. So do not be alarmed if you do not get a reply until the first or middle of October.

Hornet
    edited November -1
    I'd love to take my G-pa. Could it be a senior friendly hunting trip? About how much does the trip run per person?

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
    edited November -1
    Fishermanben, your G-pa would not be a problem, they will accomadate him and he will fit right in. Since you sent me you address I will send you some pictures and all the details.

Hornet
    edited November -1
    Fishermanben, I can not send a e-mail to www.RightFieldSucks.com, it does not exsist. You will have to give me another e-mail address so I can answer your questions. I have pictures I can send anyone that provids a exsisting e-mail address.

Hornet
    edited November -1
    sorry hornet, it's under my personal info. benjaminnewton@hotmail.com

Thank you,

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com