In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

potential new ohio record buck

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
recorddeer04.jpg

Brad Jerman took this approximately 250-pound buck in Warren County on November 8th with a crossbow. The deer is estimated to be 4 ? to 5 ? years old.

The typical rack was green scored at 202 1/8. If that score holds up, this buck would be a new state record.

The current state record typical deer scored 201 1/8 and was taken by William D. Kontras in Clark County in 1986.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/default.htm
I would have let him grow another year, don't you agree s.gun? [:D][;)]

Comments

• LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taken less than an hour from my home. The guy that scored it is a friend of mine. There are more like that in the area I live in...which is all primo whitetail habitat. It's nearly all privately owned and gaining access to some of this property is very difficult if possible at all.
    This deer will make North American Whitetail Magazine & Television next season not to mention OHF&G and many others.
    Some people have all the luck...[:(][}:)][:D]
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    That is a "Monster Buck".[^]

Where is this Warren County?I believe I will move there.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • BigEdBigEd Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Susp...I can't compete with that in Kansas. What was he taken with? If that walked past my tree(s) I'd crap before I could get off a shot.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beleive me that guy crapped his pants as he shot. The best situation for that deer would for him to come in quick and not give me much time to think about getting nervous. The less time watching a big one coming towards you I think you are better of. No time for the buck fever to kick in, If you know what I mean.[;)]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Lmbhngr, I'm disappointed with you, less than an hour from your house???[:D][;)] Had people in the area seen him before this guy shot it? Think your buddy, the one that scored it, could get me the rack? Just for keep sakes. [:D][:D][:D]

s.gun, Warren counties down in the Cincinnati area. I saw recently where Cincy was classed as one of the most dangerous cities in the US so I'd reconsider the move. [:D]

BigEd, looks like he was using a crossbow, which are legal here in Ohio. I doubt it takes the record since it green scored 1 above the current record, he'll dry out more than that. We have some good hunting around here, but we also have a tremendous amount of hunters also, I believe they expect 450,000 to be afield tomorrow morning for the start of shotgun season. That's a buncha slugs and I'll be working. [:D]

crosshair, wanta know what I do sometimes if a deer is big enough? I close my eyes and open them from time to time as they approach, helps me keep focused and not get all stupid acting over horns. [:D]
  • RevivalRevival Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe it or not Crosshair, I was supernaturally calm. He walked right under me and I didn't get a shot for another 10 - 15 minutes.

I am a very blessed man.

Read the full story in Feb. North American Whitetail. In the meantime, visit http://jermanbuck.com

Brad
    a.k.a. Revival
    http://jermanbuck.com
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the board! That is an incredible animal[:0] congratulations! Hope you stick around, there's a lot of good people here.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • el maestroel maestro Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Conratulations Revival! That is a great buck, had you seen him before? Just out of curiosity, how long have you been hunting?

Maestro
    edited November -1
    Conratulations Brad.You are probably the only one here that ever got his picture and story in a magazine.Probably will see that Buck at Cabela's Deer Display soon.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    How weird is this? So Revival, new memeber to gunbroker, could actually hold the new record for Ohio?
    I don't see the actually story, of you harvesting this deer, anywhere on your website. I for one sure would like to hear that.
    Great deer, congradulations to you. [:)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Like I said, I'm blessed.

I saw the deer for the first time the night before. Actually got him on video from my stand.

The whole story is not released yet because I am freelancing the story to some magazines. It doesn't pay like many people think, but there is a little money to be made by selling photos and original stories. By having to go there to get the story it protects the value for future publications. I will be able to reveal much more one a few hit the press. It is an amazing story, simply because it started by the deer blowing at me! Usually the kiss of death.

Please don't think poorly of me. I am not a greedy person, but I would be a fool not to consider the financial aspects of this blessing.

Brad
    a.k.a. Revival
    edited November -1
    Home|Fishing|Hunting and Trapping|Wildlife Diversity

Division of Wildlife
    Information Line:
    1-800-WILDLIFE
    (1-800-945-3543)

Central Office Address:
    Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife 2045 Morse Rd., Bldg. G, Columbus, OH 43229-6693

updated
    December 19, 2004

Warren County buck may be record
    300-pound deer's typical rack left scorer 'speechless'
    Dayton Daily News Article
    Jim Morris, Reporter

Brad Jerman didn't know what he had, but he figured it was "pretty good."
    Turns out it was more than that. The whitetail buck he killed with his crossbow on Nov. 8 is potentially a state record.

Jerman first saw the deer the night before when he was videotaping from his tree stand on private property in Warren County.

"I had seen a four-point and took the camera back to make a video for my kids," said Jerman, a 39-year-old IT manager at Lexis-Nexis. "So I'm taping the small buck and some does when all of a sudden this big 10-point walks across the picture. I couldn't believe it." After a night with no sleep, the Springboro resident was back in his stand at 3:45 the next morning.

"I waited three hours until first light and it didn't take long after that for him to show up," Jerman said. "I made the shot at 18 yards."

When he took his buck, which was estimated at 300 pounds and 4 ?- 5 ? years old, to B&B Carryout near Springboro to be checked in, he was told he might have a record. So he called scorers from Boone and Crockett Club and Buckmasters, who confirmed it likely will be a state record typical deer rack.

A typical rack means it is perfectly symmetrical - the same number of points and size on each side. Nontypical racks have all sorts of points, usually with more on one side than the other of different sizes. Typical racks are rarer.

Gary Trent scored it for Boone and Crockett at 202 1/8. That's a green score. Once the rack has dried for 60 days it will be dry-scored. If that score holds up, it would be an Ohio record for typical bucks by one inch. It also would rank ninth in the world for whitetail typicals.

Ed Waite of Dayton scored it for Buckmasters at 183 7/8. Buckmasters uses a different measuring system. Waite said the rack already is a Buckmasters national record for a whitetail taken with a crossbow and ranks fourth for one taken by any means. It also might qualify for the Buckmasters' top whitetail of the year award.

Trent of Waynesville called the buck "phenomenal."

"I get to score a lot of deer, but when I saw this buck for the first time, I was speechless," said Trent, who is president of the Buckeye Big Bucks Club. "It's hard to believe an animal can carry around such a huge rack. Just weight alone would be overwhelming."

He said the outside measurement was just over 26 inches.
    If the Jerman buck holds up as a state record, it will join the buck taken by Mike Beatty in 2000 near Xenia as one of the largest bucks taken anywhere. Beatty's nontypical buck, which scored 304 6/8, still ranks as the largest ever taken by bow and arrow. So the state records for typical and nontypical racks could come from areas just a few miles apart.

The state record for typicals is 201 1/8, held by Bill Kontras for a buck taken in Clark County in 1986.Jerman said the interesting thing is that he has never been a trophy hunter. His family has not bought beef since 1995, preferring to eat the venison he provides by hunting each year. Last year he killed and butchered two does.

"I've never been that interested in going after big racks," he said.
    But he'll take this one.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    I understand you not being able to tell the story, I was just trying to get a little info before it comes in the mail. [;)]
    Think poorly of you? Heck I just wanta hunt with you. [:D] We don't see many of them fellows around here in Tuscarawas county.

s.gun, how'd you post before me? your message wasn't there a second ago...are we racing? I love a challenge [:D]
    edited November -1
    I appreciated the story in the Dayton Daily, but they got several things wrong and miss-quoted me on others... Oh well, It taught me to really watch what I say and how I say it.

The quote:
    "I've never been that interested in going after big racks," he said.

Kinda cracks me up. I can't imagine saying that... I really don't consider myself to be a trophy hunter, but to say I'm not interested? That is rather funny. I just need to take it in stride. I have heard all kind of crazy things.

The 300 pound thing too... I said to him that A couple of guys were over there telling me it was 300 lbs, but I said it wasn't nearly that. He had "Man kills 300 Pound Deer!" as a headline in one of the papers... If I were to guess it was 250-260

Heck, it could have weighed 60 lbs if it carried that rack! Though I admit, it would have looked pretty funny...

Brad
    a.k.a. Revival
    edited November -1
    Even if that dude weighed in at 250 that's a big deer for Ohio. I bet I've only seen a half dozen that went over 200 in my life and those didn't go far above the 200 scale mark.

Let's talk business revival. How much would it cost me to get my picture taken with your deer? I'd be dressed in full camo and have my bow in the picture of course....[;)]
    In all seriousness how did you find this forum and decide to start chatting with us? There aren't many from Ohio on here, but we have our fair share. [:)]
    edited November -1
    I have been on gun broker before, but I found this thread by running a google search. I am just trying to interface with people who are interested.

Brad
    a.k.a. Revival
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Revival I just killed my first buck yesterday, seeing that gigantic one os more of an inspiration for me to get out more. Even though I went out in the woods as much as possible[:)] Thanks for telling us everyting!