In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What age

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
At what age would y'all think would be a good age to try to get a youngster into archery? And what equipment would you suggest? I am asking cause I have a nephew that likes to watch hunting but noone in his family hunts. I think archery would be a great start for him, but when do you start? How much do you spend on equipment that he will out grow? Any thoughts appreciated

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Hard question. I've seen a lot of young kids get into archery then right back out, sorta a phase they went through just like a lot of things. I would suggest getting him a cheap recurve to play around with, but then he might get tired of it not being accurate or the string burning his fingers or whatever else that might happen.
    If might be an idea to spend a hundred dollars and get a youth compound used with all the accesories. Shoot with him a lot so he knows what to do and stays in good form and make it fun for him. Maybe stick an apple on old uncles head from time to time and make things challenging for him. [;)]
    I tried/trying to keep my nephew interrested in archery to no avail. [xx(]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Well I have 2 kids that just dove right into it with me. Ben will be 16 next month and Kristen will be 10 in March. I passed on a couple bows I picked up at the pawn shop. I am currently looking for one that Kristen can break over herself. We all get out in the yard and shoot almost every evening. I still have not been able to get David into it yet. He has mentioned things but not quite there yet. As for how much to spend... well that all depends on the kid. The age also depends on the kid. I mean is he responsible enough not to shoot the neighborhood pets?
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:I mean is he responsible enough not to shoot the neighborhood pets?

I read that, thought who the neighbors were, and laughed. their closest neighbor is ENOS s parents. But even so they live not to far from me in the country (I couldn't live in town)so the closest neighbor is 1/4 mile give or take. I'm sure he wouldn't shoot unless I was there. I'm sure his mom wouldn't let him shoot unsupervised. He is nine right now. I just talked to his step dad and he thought it would be a great idea and said he (nephew) would love it and stp dad even thanked me for thinking of it. He actually sounded excited which is strange not much excites him. I don't know anything about youth bows, guess I will have to start the research now. Thanks!!

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Own a crossbow, they are always fun to use, and you never have to practice as much as you do with a bow. Although I would love to hunt with a bow, crossbow just seems to be much easier!
    edited November -1
    A.Gun, I believe the boys from IL are not allowed to use crossbows. Ohio just doesn't care what we use.[;)] I don't believe many states are allowed to use crossbows to hunt deer with, least from what I've heard anyway.

bang, sounds like old step dad could be a future bow hunter also. I believe my brother has one or two youth compound bows from his boys. If you want I will check and see if he'd get rid of them cheap, maybe send you some digitals of them to check out. I'm only offering because 1. I know my brother wouldn't of bought used (like me) 2. he normally buys good name brand stuff 3. his kids are all to big for them now 4. he sells stuff cheap that he knows he can't use. [:D]
    I have a Ruger red label, Winchester model 70 and a Ruger P89 in my safe that my brothers ex wife bought for him, he didn't like them once they decided to get a divorce. I have told him countless times they still belong to him, but it's been quit a few years and he still won't take em back. (stubborness must run in the family [^])
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Hey if Bang isnt interested in the bows I would be for my daughter. We currently have to break one over for her and let her release it.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the offer Susp. but I think I am going to pass. I am leaning toward that bow that is adjustable, supposed to grow with the child up to a certain point of course. Thanks again though. Your all heart.....err something![;)]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Your all heart.....err something![;)]

[}:)] Am Not! [:D]
    ps: Consider yourself off my Christmas card list now. [:D]

gagirl, I'll check with him Friday and tell him to e-mail me some digital photos of them then I'll forward them to ya. [:)] I was sorta hoping to have a bidding war, like ebay, between you and bang, but he's scared. [;)]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Your all heart.....err something![;)]

[}:)] Am Not! [:D]
    ps: Consider yourself off my Christmas card list now. [:D]

I never got a Christmas card and I never said 1 bad thing about ya. Maybe 2 or 3 but not 1 [:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
    edited November -1
    [:0] You never got it [?]

Dam postal service! [^]
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah susp. I'm even in the same state and didn't get one from ya[V]. It's like, what's the deal man?[:p]