In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sad and excited

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
Three more days til my last bow hunting trip of the season. I can't wait to go but so bummed[:(] that it will be the last one this year. I hope to have some stories and pictures when I get back. I only have one tag left so if I fill it early I will be taking pics the rest of the trip.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    good luck!

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I also have one tag left.Can't seem to fill it either.Only tag I bought though.I am still gonna try.We have till the end of Jan.for bow/crossbow season.If I don't fill it I thought maybe you guys could take up a little collection for me.Ya know like maybe some steaks,burger,a small roast,and a little jerky would be nice.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    You don't want any of my jerky, I just got my shooter for christmas and am still trying to perfect it. This batch should be fire, used black pepper, cayan pepper and some louisiana hot sauce along with a cajun seasoning.
    s.gun I will take up the collection for you, anyone that wants to donate send it to me, I'll take care of it for you[;)]. I think he said to send beer too![:D]

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Don't worry!!! Spring fishing is just around the corner.

Ben
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    hmmm does anyone out there hunt anything but deer? I am really enjoying bow hunting so far and am VERY happy that I am in an area that I can hunt 365 days a year. Have turkey season comming up and we hunt hog all year around. Whoo hoooo.

Ben....Going for some stripers and crappie with the kids after the gym tonight. Wanna join me?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I am the crappie master. I'll come--hell, I'll even give you free lessons![:D]
    edited November -1
    Ben I know two hot crappie spots on a lake there by you. Unfortunately since I am selling my boat I will no longer be able to get to them.
    gagirl- turkey is in now here for archery, this year however I have not seen one close enough yet. I hear them and have tryed calling and they talk back but never come in. last year was different I had a bunch under me at one time but I had no turkey tag so I just watched them, well there was a guy in the tree next to me who came to video my deer hunt(left with blank tape) but I could faintly here him saying what I thought was s@#t when in reality he said shoot turns out he had a tag with him. I would love to hog hunt but I think my hunting days are numbered, for the next year anyway. I'll be staying close to home. Brother in law has a texas hunt set up but I wont be able to attend[:(][V]. 2 days til my deer hunt.

edited November -1
    Bang-- A texas hunt for Hog? Tell ya what... buy me a Mathews LX and I will take ya on a good southern Hog hunt put ya up and feed ya... sound like a deal?
    edited November -1
    Very tempting[;)]! Whats your draw lenght??

The twins [^]are getting close to bein' here, once they're here I will not be able to get to far away for to long. Infact I should be stayin' close now she'll probably be on bed rest soon, but she knows this weekend will be my last bow hunt for a long time[V] so she is bein' pretty cool about me goin'. I really appreciate your offer, maybe in a year or two I could make your way.

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey bang, ya gonna wear a wetsuit and swimfins to hunt this weekend?

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
    edited November -1
    taco- Yep! [:D] Its gonna be a mess but I have to get out. This is my last chance before the end of season and I haven't been in so long I am just needing to get my fix. I have my rain gear packed already.
    Do you have any ice over there yet?? Been freezing rain here since about 10am trees are starting to sag and power lines are pretty well covered. I'm sure it is only a matter of time til the power goes out. Country roads are flooded and creeks are out of there banks too. I didn't realize we had so much precip. until I went out at lunch. They just said on the radio 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice today and several inches of snow tonight. Guess I better through the rifle in the truck maybe come into to work a bit late tomorrow and go shoot some yotes.[:D]

edited November -1
    Well Bang enjoy them while they are young because kids should be put in pods and not released between the ages of 10-18.

It cracks me up to hear yall talking about snow and ice when I came to work in a tshirt today and rode with the windows down this morning.

How much do they pay for a hog hunt anyway? David has this dream to own a large piece of land and do private hunts. A large company came in last year and bought a big piece that backs up to marshlands and you should see the camp they are building. The yearly membership fee is $15k AND you STILL have to pay for hunting, food and lodgeing. I personally think that is insane. A large parcel with a modest lodge and I get to hunt with and cook for tons of people... man I am right there on that dream with him. As long as I can pay the mortgage.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Raining all day but no freezing yet, but i'm sure that will change before the night is over. Creeks are out here to, plus my back yard is flooded. I'm puttin out decoys and gonna hunt gesse or ducks til the city sends the cops here[:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
    edited November -1
    The hog hunt is free. I guess they are a problem in Texas where he goes. The land owner just wants them shot. You pay for all you own food find your own place to stay but he lets him and some of his friends come down and hunt for free. I think there was 5 or 6 went last year. He invited me this year but like I said I need to stay close to home.

edited November -1
    Speakin' of hog huntin' ENOS sent me this article via email to post.

The fellow in the pictures is Larry Earley, He lives about 30 miles
    >from Orlando, in the very rural community of Okahumpka, just off the Florida
    >turnpike in Lake County, Florida. He has 20 acres of land and on it, a few
    >cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with woods surrounding
    >him. He is neighbored by a larger cattle ranch.
    >
    > His neighbor has complained for several years that wild hogs had been
    >raiding his cattle feeders and salt licks.
    >
    > Last month he saw what he though was a cow in his pond and went to see
    >if it was stuck in the mud and would have to be pulled out. When he
    > got close enough to realize it was hog, the thing made a charge at him. He
    >had driven his truck down to the pond and carries a pistol in it (as any
    >Florida redneck would, and I say that with genuine affection). He got his
    >handgun and when it came at him again, he shot it twice and killed it.
    >
    > Wild hogs in Florida usually run from 100-400 pounds with a 400 pounder being
    >a monster. Because this one had been feasting on grain for several years it
    >had grown to mammoth size. When Larry took it to the processor it weighed in
    >at over 1100 pounds!
    >
    > The meat has no wild taste, as it was grain feed and the Larry is quite
    >the hero. He has fed may fireman and provided the homeless shelter in downtown
    >Orlando with a couple of meals.

bighog.jpg

bighog1.jpg

edited November -1
    Think that is actually real? 1100 pounds is awful big.

That guy sorta looks like Sammy Kershaw doesn't he? [:D]
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking Aaron tippen (how ever you spell it)[:D]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ENOS29
    I was thinking Aaron tippen (how ever you spell it)[:D]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..

Your right, Aaron Tippen. Why did I say Sammy Kershaw? That was way to long ago to remember. [:p][:D]