In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

whitetail tracks

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Some of you may think this is dumb, but I am 30 years old and this question still confuses me. Do bucks leave a different hoof print than does?
I've heard it both ways all my life and I never have felt that one or the other had a different track. I know when deer are at a full run, most of the time downhill, they leave their dew claw indentions. I have even heard people say that only bucks have dew claws or buck tracks are always larger or other bs. I say tracks of a whitetail are just that and you can't tell the deers sex my their track (unless their still standing there of course [:D]). What brought this up was some crack-head hunting show, the guy was kneeling down pointing at tracks next to a creek saying this ones a mature shooter buck, here's a small year old doe, this is a 2 year old buck. I was like "Hello, your no indian there Mr. baggy camo's".

Comments

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crosshair told me once that buck's hooves spread apart more or something like that, can't really remember! sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I believe that the track will look the same except for a buck being larger will have a larger foot leaving a larger track.Also the larger buck's in the snow will have a much more of a wider set of tracks when he is walking fast.More noticeable in the snow.Kinda like he is walking with a gait I think you might call it.Kinda like a left to right waddle.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    A doe track always appears to be more heart-shaped than a bucks, which points more straight ahead than in. Does that make sense?

Ben
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I found a track in some mud about this big the other day {see below}

__________________ couldnt tell what it was though definatly small maybe a shooter button buck [:p]

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    http://www.whitetaildeer.com/howto/tracks/

Now why didn't google bring this up last night? [:D] I still think it's horse pucky though. They are pretty much saying that a doe will never surpass a mature buck or one that reaches 2-1/2 years.
    6 inch long track [?] Isn't that considered a cow? Would that measurement include the dew claws also, I surely hope.

headzilla, you drinking again? [;)] A shooter button buck would complete my trophy room wall. [:D]

Ben, what your saying makes sense to me and I understand what s.gun is saying also, but I have not encountered either or just haven't paid enough attention. Guess I've seen to many large bodied does and small bodied bucks. A few years ago I took a doe during bow season that dressed out at almost 155#, same year I shot a 10 pointer during shotgun season that dressed out 115# and had almost 18 inches inside spread. The doe monstered that buck and I see that a lot around here, granted I have seen large bodied bucks also. I just find it hard to believe a deers track is gonna determine the sex.
    thanks for all the input though. [:)]
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A bucks tracks will stay inline or go on top of the other. A does will be somewhatn smaller but her hind feet will not track the same due to her hips for giving birth. (and other reasons I'm sure[:D][:D][;)])

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    sus i really did find tracks that big and maybe i had a few brews but look at the post time

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • daweimerdaweimer Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A bucks shoulders are broader and a doe hind quarter is broader for obvious reasons so if you look at the overlaping of the steps you can tell which is which[:D]
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the most part there are exceptions to everything and with that being said...

A buck's track is going to be larger than the doe's. When a buck reaches his peak, his tracks are going to be more recognizable from those of a doe or young buck. The hooves will be more splayed/spread apart, the dew claws track unless the ground is really hard. A lot of times these same bucks are loners and their tracks are often by found off by themselves, other than during the rut.. A buck's stride will be longer than that of a doe with regards to body size and knowing the average stride length of either sex can help with identification. It is more difficult to indentify a young buck's track to that of a mature doe as the dew claws won't be visible and his track may even be smaller than hers. Can you tell a buck fawn from a doe fawn? Not likely. Can you look at a track and identify the age of a deer. Not likely either but, considering a deer's relatively short life span, you should be able to guess pretty close. There are several subspecies, the exact number escapes me at the moment, of whitetailed deer and body size varies greatly as will hoof size, i.e. Texas whitetails vs. Canadian whitetails.
    IMO, an experienced whitetail hunter will know when to get excited about a set of deer tracks or at least know when to take a second look at them with greater interest.

In most instances, I know when I'm looking at the track of a big, mature, whitetail buck and when I do all other tracks become just deer tracks.

Come on...it's not 100% and I've never heard anyone make that claim but, it can be done.

Remember the exceptions...

Lmbhngr
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Speaking of tracks seems thats what I will be dining on if I don't one in the next three weeks. I wonder how they taste[?][xx(]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. I will try to start paying closer attention to tracks. I never considered/used that much in my pre season scouting. I look for well used trails and so on, but never actually looked for larger tracks and so on.

headzilla I was confused because that line you made seemed very small, to small for a track. Don't worry though, I'm still confused. [:D] Plus I knew all along you'd bring drinking. [;)]

daweimer thanks a lot! When I told the wife she walks different than me, because she has birthing hips, she got all fired up! thanks alot pal! [:D][;)]

lmbhngr, why so much knowledge on tracks? Have you checked into this before or are you just naturally smart?

buckey, I'll send ya some steaks if you want, just don't eat hooves! [:D]
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:lmbhngr, why so much knowledge on tracks? Have you checked into this before or are you just naturally smart?

Sus'...do i detect a hint of sarcasm?? the outdoors have been my passion for as long as i can remember and in all those years i've just paid attention to the environment i was in and wanted to learn about it and it's critters, especially the ones that i took an interest in. i've never stopped learning and will forever be a student...isn't everyone??

Lmbhngr
  • StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knowe i replied to this. Wasn't my imagination, because i remember Sus said where you been. But that white screen kept coming up for the past 3 or 4 days.

Had great holidays, and i bought my family the perfect christmas present, a satalite that pulls in every tv and free movie signal from all over the world. Some of those signals might be emiting from ufos from outer space and causing that white screen. [?]

But those deer tracks....Like i said before, the bucks tracks aren't as sharp, they are rounded in the front from all the scrapeing and and pawing they do. I keep seeing some tracks where the outside half will be a half inch longer than the inside half. what does that mean?

Joe
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are definately differences form width, spline,etc., etc...... but I defy anyone to detect the difference when lookinmg at tracks in the wild. I think most people who might think of themselves as experts in this field would stop claiming they are if they managed to see most of the deer that made the tracks! All indicators with all conditions considered are very subtle.

You can tell alot about deer from the tracks but being able to determine the sex is a real guess.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Hey Joe....just where did you get the satallite?
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
  • StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From a buddy.... He ordered it out of Canada for me.

http://forums.al7bar.tk/

This site will give you a lot of information.

Joe
    edited November -1
    I know I replied to this already, but my reply is gone. Must be out in space where Stihl's satellite picks up it's transmissions from. [;)]
    Lmbhngr, no sarcasm (this time [;)]) I was just curious how you knew so much about it, that's all.

Stihl, good to see ya around again. That shutdown screwed things up for everyone.