In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Trad shooters here??

voodoofire1voodoofire1 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
Talking Recurves and longbows, any shooters of the plain ole' stick and string??, Here are a couple of my simple sticks, made 'em myself too....
Elkriser4Vic009.jpgRobsElkbow011.jpg
RobsElkbow014.jpgElkbow-quiver004.jpg

Comments

• ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice looking bows
  • voodoofire1voodoofire1 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, hard to believe there aren't any trad shooters here, but it is a gun site................Steve
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    we need some! Welcome to the forum, voodoo. Stick around!

Ben
  • mot24mot24 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a longbow, but don't use it much. My dad used to use it to hunt rabbits back in the day. Doesn't look nearly as nice as yours. Those are some nice looking bows.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Great looking bows. Do you make them to sell? If so e-mail me on cost.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to get into it, the bow I started with was like a 40 year old brohning bantam, like no cams, but had wheels so i guess you could call it a compound.
  • voodoofire1voodoofire1 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys!, I believe I will stick around for a while,sure seem like a friendly bunch....... MM, you won't find a better deal anywhere! I just love building bows!
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot tradish & its a lot more fun than using a bow with training wheels LOL! These days using a compound bow is about as easy as using a gun. I got sick of using compounds & figured I'd give the the stick bows a shot. To my surprise i had a lot more fun & killed a few deer to boot. I would encourage the wheelie bow shooters to give it a try.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kinda take a hit to your comment. Bowhunting is nowhere near as easy as a gun. I don't know where you hunt, but to me 20 yards is different than 200 yards with a rifle or 12 gauge rifled slug. You still have to keep your arm steady, still have to release just like in practice, oh and guess what...we use sticks and broadheads too. I don't know what you were trying to accomplish but I.M.O. you are 110% wrong...it might be easier than using a longbow but not the same as a gun. [:)]
  • BBQGUYBBQGUY Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't use a recurve, but I shoot an old PSE compound instinctive when I'm not shooting my Ross. Easier to hold at full draw when your 58. Enjoy what ever you shoot.
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a recurve. Got started with it about 7 years ago. I always prefered traditional. The same with my muzzleloader. Shoot an original 1863 Springfield. My wife shoots traditional also, recurve and 1861 Springfield.
  • Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very cool. Did you make the risers out of bone?
  • Bob B.Bob B. Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recurves and longbows here.
  • arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot longbows and build them. Would like to do it for a living, but the dog needs to eat. Here is my website if you want to look. fisklongbows.com

Take care,

Jim
  • Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by arraflipper
    I shoot longbows and build them. Would like to do it for a living, but the dog needs to eat. Here is my website if you want to look. fisklongbows.com

Take care,

Jim

Jim, Looks like you know your business and build some nice bows there.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Horney Toad,

It is enjoyable, a hobby that someday maybe will help to support me. I hope anyway that will happen.

Jim
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by arraflipper

Take care,

Jim

Another Illinoian on the board. [^] Nice to have ya! Nice lookin bows too!!! Hope it works out for you so you can feed that dog. [:D][;)]
    edited November -1
    bang 250,

Thanks I guess I should of gotten a smaller dog so it would eat less, I guess I could cut down some. It is enjoyable building them for me, the day flies by when I am doing it.

Take care.

Jim
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its just my opinion. The technology of compound bows has progressed to the point where its very similar to using a gun. Hi percentage let off's, carbon arrows, titanium broadheads, complicated sighting systems, any number of release types, etc etc etc. I hunt in mostly dense wooded area's where the longest possible unimpeaded shot is 50 yards. If you can't hit a game animal as big as a deer at 20 or 30 yards with all that technology its a pretty sad state of affairs. I'm not knocking compound bow users. I'm just saying in my opinon if you got a 20 or 30 yard shot with a gun or a compound bow there's little difference in the result & difficulty of the shot.

My experience has come from being a bow shooter of all types of bow's since 1968.

quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    I kinda take a hit to your comment. Bowhunting is nowhere near as easy as a gun. I don't know where you hunt, but to me 20 yards is different than 200 yards with a rifle or 12 gauge rifled slug. You still have to keep your arm steady, still have to release just like in practice, oh and guess what...we use sticks and broadheads too. I don't know what you were trying to accomplish but I.M.O. you are 110% wrong...it might be easier than using a longbow but not the same as a gun. [:)]
  • naterkcnaterkc Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot and make longbows. Mostly selfbows but I have managed a good bamboo backed ipe bow and I am still working on a couple of sinew backed bows.
    I do make and sell Port Orford Cedar arrows on Ebay but I am looking for alternative places to auction them because of Ebay's fees. I do not normally do custom orders. I do not have time between my full time day job and 2 small children.