In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My son is

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
Growing up. He will turn 14 on the first. He has went deer hunting with me since he was 5 and has caried a gun and hunted beside me since he was 9.
Yesterday he asked me if he could skip school next Friday for the opener of our gun season. He has never asked before. I told him he couldn't because of B-Ball practice.
He then asked if he could sit by himself this year. I told him that it is up to him. I told him that I enjoy our time together in the tree or the blind but he can do what he wants. He said that we could cover more ground and have a better chance of getting more shots.
I knew this time would come. He is a very resposible and I have no trouble with him doing it.
This past youth season, he was calling all of the shots. When to leave, when to move to another stand, and when it was time to go, he said that he would go stand by the river and that I could walk out and then do a little push towards him. When I got to him and we were on our way out a dang nice and wide 8-10 jumps up out of the CRP. I'm fully expecting him to take the 50 yrd broadside running shot and he doesn't. He finally admitted that he wasn't sure of the shot so he didn't take it.
I just have to accept the fact that he is growing up.

Comments

• Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chief your a good man/father. My son is 15 now and I can relate 110%.[;)]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Chief your a good man/father. My son is 15 now and I can relate 110%.[;)]

We went out there today and he picked out his stand. I picked mine out. I want this one because I can watch him fom it from about 800yrds. I can let him know if anything is coming from the east down the middle of the field and also if and when he shoots I can witness it from afar. The only thing is that if one comes from the east on the tree line by the river, it could possibly go by him. When I mentioned this, he stated that if I have a shot then take it. I am very proud of him on that.

I went around his stand with my range finder and we ranged the area. He knows where he can shoot and where he can't. The way I'm seeing it is that the majority of his shots will be 15 yrds. His longest shot across the field will be 45 yrds. We marked the only gray area for him. He knows where 60 is and he can use his judgement after that.
  • Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember when I was that age. I always wanted to go out on my own, and still do. Good huntin to you and your son.

I took my nephew out a couple years ago, a spike buck walked up about 5 yards away and the little guy got buck fever and didn't shoot. That was a great memory anyways.