In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

embarrasing question

danthemandantheman Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
I'm embarrased to ask this, I took out my bow this year and can't for the life of me remember if the odd colored vane is up or down!! (I did remember that the broadhead goes toward the front) Please advise.

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odd fletch down.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The odd color fletch goes down if you use a split finger rest. Some people I hunt with that use the Wiscer Biscut put the odd color fletch up. If you shoot a recurve or long bow the odd color fletch points away from the bow.Hope this helps.

Hornet
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Hornet- I realized that where the odd fletch goes, depends on what kind of rest you have.

I was seeing things through my "split finger" perspective.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Please tell me your not hunting in the same patch of woods that I am.[B)]
    your a scary dude man. [:0][:0]
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    With the whisker bisket I have found it makes NO difference.

No need to be embarrassed. Fear of being emarrassed kept me from starting to bow hunt of about 20 years. As soon as you learn to laugh at yourself, it gets easier.[:D]

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odd color goes down

hornet
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a drop away rest it doesn't matter wich way you have your cock feather. with rest that requires a plunger coming through the riser cock feather will be to the left if you are right handed and to the right if you are left handed. prong type rest requires the cock feather to go down. as other have said with the wisker biscuit it doesn't matter, the only thing I have to say about that is if you have a wisker biscuit on your bow it won't matter because you shouldn't expect anything better than 6" groups at 20 yards, pretty sad.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    you shouldn't expect anything better than 6" groups at 20 yards, pretty sad.

Mine's not thaaat bad. Are you shooting carbons. I've heard that carbons actually shoot better with the aluminum model biscuit.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have a biscuit and im shooting 3 inch groups at 20 yards yes at 35 yards i do get the 6 inch groups

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
    edited November -1
    I shoot the biscut too and you guy's should be doing a lot better than six inch groups at 30 yards, thats not that good when you want to kill efficently . My arrows are sometimes touching at 30 yards and no more than 3" apart. Ben you are right about shooting the carbon arrows with the biscut made for aluminum grouping is somewhat better. Even at 40 yards Im about 4" at the most. and I don't consider that great I've seen guys shoot a whole bunch better than I do. Don't get me wrong Im not dissing anyone. but with todays equipment if you practice six inch groups should be almost never be seen. Just my opinion. what do the rest of you guys think.[?][:0][B)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I think you're a pretty damn good shot if you're getting 5in groups at 40 yards. I get about 12in groups at 40 yards, which doesn't bother me much, because at that distance the combined factors of a noisy bow, and a slow arrow gives the deer plenty of time to react before flipping me the tail.

Ben(who keeps it inside 30)

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I just added the 30 and 40 yard pins to my bow last weekend. I was happy with the 6 inch groups im not planning on shooting deer that far away but I just want to get better at shooting im starting to like shooting my bow

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
    edited November -1
    I don't think I'm that good of a shot as I said before Ive seen guys touch there arrows at 40 yards. The last deer I shot that I posted was at 36 yards and the one before that was at 44 yards. most folks practice at the standard 20 and 30 yards when they move to 40 [:0]seems real far if you practice at 40 to 45 which isint really that far of a distance with todays bows. When you move back to 30 seems real close. ever done 80 or 90 in the car? when you slow to 50 seems like you can run along side, same thing. Try for the heck of it practicing at 40 for a while I bet you improve daily.[;)]