In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Building Climbing Sticks

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Me and my buddies are on a hunting lease and the landowners are asking us (not telling us yet) to use climbing sticks that strap onto the tree rather than use screw in steps. I have came up with a few ideas of how to build them but they are still expensive. Has anyone came up with a cheep way to build them or even an alternative to them that doesn't damage the tree? We have found 20 footers for about 40 bucks to buy them and about that to build them. Any ideas[?]

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi

Comments

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Are you open to the idea of rope climbing? There is a good starter set put out by wesspur. It takes a little getting used to and if you have access to a rock climbing course it would help too.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Enos and myself just took down an old tv antenna painted it (camo)and will be strapping it to a tree this weekend. I actually have come up with 2 more to take down. They are in 8 or 10 ft. sections.
    These are the old triangle shaped tower antennas.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Why not Just buy them[?] you can get 16 foot in 4 foot sections for 30 bucks does it even pay to try and make them.[?]plus you can buy single sections if ya want to go a little higher. Dont know how safe that rope climbing idea is[:0] whats gonna keep ya from swinging around the tree[?]Or just use a climber. You do own a climbing stand[?]
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just spend the 40 dollars, I don't think you could buy aluminum tubing for that price. Besides if you go that route the labor is already done for you and you will have more time for beer drinking.
    edited November -1
    detail?.dir=7e35&.dnm=f6db.jpg&.src=ph
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gottaluvmedarlin2002/detail?.dir=7e35&.dnm=f6db.jpg&.src=ph

Knowledge of rope climbing. A simple typical hunting harness is very similar to a climbing saddle with chest strap... that and a tree limb will do wonders. I have used climbers, but can pack everything I need to rope climb in a very small backpack. I can move to a different tree within minutes and never have the need to trim any branches off in order to climb.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    there is no way your gonna catch this guy hanging from a tree like that.[:0] I took a 25 foot fall that cured me. Man that ground comes up fast[B)] Looks like that might be fun with an air bag underneeth[:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    I would like to see someone try that being dressed for 5 degree weather. I'll stick to using steps and sticks.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    there is no way your gonna catch this guy hanging from a tree like that.[:0] I took a 25 foot fall that cured me. Man that ground comes up fast[B)] Looks like that might be fun with an air bag underneeth[:D][:D][:D]

Fell a few times myself when David was teaching me. I just dont scare easily. I have used ropes instead of climbing stands for the last 2 seasons. Much easier and you have a 360 degree shooting range.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    I would like to see someone try that being dressed for 5 degree weather. I'll stick to using steps and sticks.

Actually the more you have one the more comfy it is. More padding in the saddle.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the antenna idea but I don't think I would try the ropes. Thanks for the idea though. I know that these things are getting cheeper but gotta keep the wife happy. I spend enough with the lease and everything else. Anywhere I can save, I try!!

edited November -1
    HEY!!!! That was my 100th post and I got my second star!!! Yipeeeeeee!! Party Time!!!![:D][:D][:D] woooohoooo!

edited November -1
    congrats slash, I never even paid attention to mine til now, I got 4 stars. sweeeeet!
    I will try to get some pics of the antenna deal once we get it set.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    congrats to both.[;)]
    edited November -1
    We have used the antenna idea before. (Don't know why I didn't think of it for this.[:I]) We had a large reclaim field that we hunted that didn't have any trees big enough for a regular hang on so we made that work. Another idea that we used (in case anyone is interested) we cut down a tree in another woods and hauled it out there. We dug a hole and planted it and tied it off with guy wires. It worked for three or four years.

• FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How's about a rope ladder. Don't know how hard they are to climb, but it should pack up nicely...
    edited November -1
    quote:gagirl Posted - 07/20/2005 : 10:40:16 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by gogolen

Actually the more you have one the more comfy it is. More padding in the saddle.

Thats fine and dandy but I was referring to being dressed for a long exposure to 5 degree weather sitting still, and then sweating your bag off in those clothes due to the physical exertion required to climb a rope into your tree. How do those ropes work out in sleet snow and freezing rain?
    edited November -1
    How,s ya think a rope ladder would work with a weapon in your hand. Are you nuts.[?][:o)][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Just buy one ofn these and be done with it. Best part no trees required.

http://www.autolifttreestands.com/insta.html
    edited November -1
    huh....what about your nuts??? You're supposed to climb the ladder....not play with your nuts. [:D][:D]

I happen to know of a system called "a rope" that you tie your gear to and pull up. Not a complicated system....but I have faith in it.
    edited November -1
    Good you use it. I'll stick with my climbing stands and climbing sticks. also GoGO is absolutly right you would be sweating up a storm climbing a rope . I know Taco calls me monkey boy but it ain't from climbing ropes. Careful there Fannin you may just hang yourself with your own rope[:o)][:o)][:o)] Climbing ropes to deer hunt[?] Tell me this is a joke post. or tell me you dont hunta lot and you dont know any better just dont tell me your serious cause I'm laughig too hard to type[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:o)][:o)][:o)]
    edited November -1
    What if it is windy? do you swing like a pendulem? Could be fun I guess, if you weren't hunting.

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do like I did and wait til the end of season and buy all the climbing sticks you want at clearance price. Couple years ago K-Mart went out of business and I got 5 boxes of 16ft climbing sticks for 20 bucks a box.

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif
    edited November -1
    Hey Gogo, that might be a LITTLE out of my price range. Probably couldn't slip that one past my wife!!![;)] Those are nice ideas though!

edited November -1
    Funny how closed minded some people are.

Actually you dont put out much effort at all. If you took a class you would learn what I am talking about. It's really pretty simple : a prusik loop tied below the blakes hitch is all you need. When you step into the loop you use your own body weight as opposed to upper body strength travel up a rope. Its a similar body movement as climbing a ladder.

And no you dont swing much at all if you can control your own movements.

Ropes work fine in sleet and in rain too. They are the same ropes used in mountain rescues all the time.

you wont deal with more ice on a line then these guys do....

http://www.ice-climbing.net/2005/mojstrana/sobota.html

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Yea how many deer have you arrowed or shot swinging from a Rope[?] ME tarzan You Jane. I take My hunting seriously and so do most of the guys on this forum their not gonna waste precious hunting time swinging from a rope. .
    I guess most hunters are closed minded because I've been all over hunting for 30 years and aint seen a hunter swinging from a rope yet.
    face it it's a stupid idea or all the pro's on tv would have Rope master for a sponser. OH I do use a rope to pull up my bow. Gagirl You feelin OK latley[?]
    edited November -1
    Yea how many deer have you arrowed or shot swinging from a Rope[?] ME tarzan You Jane. I take My hunting seriously and so do most of the guys on this forum their not gonna waste precious hunting time swinging from a rope. .
    I guess most hunters are closed minded because I've been all over hunting for 30 years and aint seen a hunter swinging from a rope yet.
    face it it's a stupid idea or all the pro's on tv would have Rope master for a sponser. OH I do use a rope to pull up my bow. Gagirl You feelin OK latley[?]

Hey you may want to REALLY look into your favorite sport before you say things... you want a company that does it specifically for Archery... here ya go...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0024673416729a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=Ntk=Products&QueryText=saddle&_D%3AhasJS=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&No=60&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jsp%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D&Ntt=saddle&noImage=0&Ntx=matchall&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&N=4887&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form9&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

Trophyline and Cabelas big enough companies?

Maybe you need to get out more....or just get your head out of your *

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    I say, everyone's getting bored and needs something to do till hunting season gets here. I bet once it arrives, some REAL conversations will start up again....but in the mean time....

Swinging from a rope ladder could come in handy, if you need to see what is on the other side of the tree stand. Maybe you could even decorate it in leafs or brush and you could be mistaken as a swing branch....[;)][;)][;)][:o)]
    edited November -1
    You just like to argue[:o)] I aint climing no F$#@#$$ Rope Can you understand that.[:o)] YOU NIT WIT.[:o)] I dont like to wear a helmet when I hunt. YOU want to climb rope fine be my guest.I have my own way of hunting and I like it you and Fanny boy can Go mountain climbing seeing as ya like ropes so much. Stop Badgering People into agreeing with you and calling them closed minded when they dont. You have probley never even killed a deer with a bow you would get picked of in a second hanging from a rope.[xx(]unless the deer are southern deer cause i hear they aint too swift.[:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Oh and shot from a climbing saddle .... 3 in the last 2 seasons. And none with a bow only one bow kill and that was a hog and considering that I only started with a bow less than a year ago that aint bad.

You said I must be jokeing about it and I was simply showing that there are actual "archery" products out there that do the same thing as a climb rope. They would not be being sold if there was not a market for them.
    It's a newer product and I am sure some will balk at changeing their ways....I really dont care it works well for me.

more info on it...just to educate those who wish to read....

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/hunting_articles/mobile_in_woods.htm

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Gagirl....I used to think you were weird.....but the fact that you can get under Chunkyboy's skin so much, makes me like you.

I enjoy the fact of how people can get so pissed off over a simple forum filled with people who are just trying to find something to talk about till hunting season gets here.

Keep it up.....Now it's someones turn to rip on me. [:)] Chunky?
    edited November -1
    I can tell you both are recreational weekend worrier's[:D]
    edited November -1
    Thank you Fannin... I take weird as a compliment. I enjoy testing out new things and always keep an open mind with new adventures. I dont care if buckey "likes" me or not. I think he will disagree with anything I say just because ... well just because.

Hey this is an archery forum... and a newer product is Trophyline's tree saddle... I know there are other companies who have been makeing them for years.. I came across a few leather ones out there too. I simply use equipment that David and I use training for SAR. If you like to sleep in a stand then they are not for you, but then again I have wondered how someone hunts with their eyes closed anyway... oh well.. for those of you who are open minded and would like a full 360 Degree shooting area and dont want to lug around a stand or a climber check into a saddle. Those of you who dont like the idea... well dont.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Actually fannis she dosent get under my skin she makes me laugh at the rediculouis SH$## She comes out with. and also contridicts her own Quotes. And actually has someone as astute as you to follow her around. Honestly I'm laughing my #@$##$##$ Balls off[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Actually fannis she dosent get under my skin she makes me laugh at the rediculouis SH$## She comes out with. and also contridicts her own Quotes. And actually has someone as astute as you to follow her around. Honestly I'm laughing my #@$##$##$ Balls off[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

a man too scared to hang from a rope...I am not convinced that you have balls....

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Actually....I prefer Fanny. [:D][:D] As I stated a while back, it's hard to tell if someone is mad or just being a smartass. I usually take the smartass approach....
    Oh and about the weekend "worrier" I don't "worry" too much about the weekend. Now hunting is a different subject though. [8D]

And thanks for calling me astute. I think that's the biggest compliment I've had from you.
    edited November -1
    HMMMMMMMMMMMM thats supposed to taunt Buckeyboy into giving a sarcastic answer. Na. You win I am afraid of falling as you should be too. Because you have already fell 3 times you said. I'm willing to bet 2 0ut of the three were on your head. I will not be responding to your post anymore because that will only prove one thing. You say dumb s#$$$ and I'm dumb enough to answer it. I really am a clown.[:o)][:o)][:o)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FANNIN
    Actually....I prefer Fanny. [:D][:D] As I stated a while back, it's hard to tell if someone is mad or just being a smartass. I usually take the smartass approach....
    Oh and about the weekend "worrier" I don't "worry" too much about the weekend. Now hunting is a different subject though. [8D]

And thanks for calling me astute. I think that's the biggest compliment I've had from you. [:D]Why your welcome fanny Your kidding is cool Shes serious.[xx(]
    edited November -1
    I know once again I shouldn't even say anything but
    quote:Funny how closed minded some people are.
    That remark right there was said for no other reason but to start and arguement or you would have never said it at all.

and quote:a man too scared to hang from a rope...I am not convinced that you have balls....

Why say anything why not just let things lie.

quote:I think he will disagree with anything I say just because ... well just because.

I'm starting to think the same of you with him. You will disagree just because.
    Ok and now that I have stepped my foot in the door someone may as well rib on me some. Bring it on or we can just let it all go, let the arguing theads leave, everyone pull up a chair and lets get back to that coffee shop atmoshphere we once had. Or not. I'm done. I'll try to keep my mouth closed and out of this stuff now.

ROUND 2[:D]

edited November -1
    HMMMMMMMMMMMM thats supposed to taunt Buckeyboy into giving a sarcastic answer. Na. You win I am afraid of falling as you should be too. Because you have already fell 3 times you said. I'm willing to bet 2 0ut of the three were on your head. I will not be responding to your post anymore because that will only prove one thing. You say dumb s#$$$ and I'm dumb enough to answer it. I really am a clown.[:o)][:o)][:o)]

Nope sorry thats not what I said...

Bang....

and ... "or tell me you dont hunta lot and you dont know any better just dont tell me your serious"

(to which I responded about being closed minded)

calling me "Hitler"

"face it it's a stupid idea"

....Notice I simply posted another way of climbing to which the stupid idea and such comments were posted...

Now surely you dont expect me to roll over ... I have always and will always defend myself...

Now... do you see anywhere where I disagreed with the way he hunts?

Not one time...I simply posted a newer system and some are not willing to see that it is a viable way of hunting...that to me IS being closed minded...
    which means by definition...close-minded: not ready to receive to new ideas

Now am I wrong?

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Sorry Bang and other forums Members I will try to stick to the topic Hunting got a little carried away but it seems like every time someone has a different Idea if they do not agree they are labled. Thats not Fair BOOOOO HOOOOOO[:I]