In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What pound rating for Boar

meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
Doing a little research.

What should the poundage (if that's the right word) of a bow be if it is to be used for hunting boar?

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Mine is set at 65lbs again arrow placement is much more important.
  • meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should the poundage be the same if it is a standard recurve not a compound bow?
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    whats your arrow wieght?
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by meunke
    Should the poundage be the same if it is a standard recurve not a compound bow?

There prob. have bin more critters taken with a recurve than compounds
    so any 40 to 60 pound should work...Like Buckey said IT'S SHOT PLACEMENT.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    get a big heavy arrow with a good sharp head will go right in its all about kinetic energy and a good shot placement
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This should answer most if not all questions about draw weight,arrow weights,kinetic energy ect. For arrows heavier is not always better. The same is true about draw weight. The most important thing is a well tuned bow and arrows.

http://www.martinarchery.com/faq/facts.php
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    This should answer most if not all questions about draw weight,arrow weights,kinetic energy ect. For arrows heavier is not always better. The same is true about draw weight. The most important thing is a well tuned bow and arrows.

http://www.martinarchery.com/faq/facts.php

But when you are shooting a recurve, the only tuning you can do is to your arrow. So not only does arrow weight become essential, but it is of the utmost inportance for hunting thicker skinned game.
    edited November -1
    Shoff you know what I'm talking about.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses all.

Actually, I do not own a bow yet, but I am looking to acquire one soon and start practicing regularly so I can use it hunting next year.

My primary target will be boar, which is why I was asking about necessary poundage.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by meunke
    Thanks for the responses all.

Actually, I do not own a bow yet, but I am looking to acquire one soon and start practicing regularly so I can use it hunting next year.

My primary target will be boar, which is why I was asking about necessary poundage.

Congrats!! You will fall in love with archery. It's more addicting than Anna Nicoles drugs. So be carefull.[:D]
    edited November -1
    If you are starting with a recurve, I would go with something that is a little lower poundage. Maybe something in the 40-50 range. Recurves are a beast, but fun to shoot and great at learning archery. Get yourself a good tab or glove and a arm protector, you will need it. Arrow weight wise, I would probably shoot for something in the 500 grain range, yeah thats a log. It will be really stiff, so in order to make the arrow flex some more, I would cut them extra long in comparision to the draw length and go with a thin walled aluminum arrow. Or if you want to be really traditional, go with a ceder arrow, those are always cool.
    edited November -1
    Another question I had:

When I was looking at different types of arrows, their sizes are designated by a set of numbers - 2315, 2020, etc.

How does this size reflect the gauge? (like 28 gauge, for example) Or does that even figure into the sizing? Is it the first set two didgets?
    edited November -1
    for aluminum arrows, the first two digits is the OD of the arrow, the last two digits is the wall thickness in thousath of an inch. So a 2315 arrow would be .230 in diameter with a wall thickness of .015.

So, the larger diameter arrow, the stiffer the over all arrow will be. Meaning less para flex which is critical with a recurve. However, you can do several things to weaken the arrow shaft to allow for the correct flex. One is to choose a thinner walled shaft or make the shaft longer . Easton has arrow selection charts on their website for the recommend size according to your length of arrow and draw weight. You can calculate the weight of an arrow on Eastons website by using their weight for 28 inches of arrow, plus tip weights, and 9 grains for fletching (3 per fletch), 3 for knock, 10 for inserts. That can give you a rough estimate.
    edited November -1
    Thanks.

And now, the final reuqest: Good recomendations for an entry level recurve.

I was also looking at a lot of the hand made medieval longbows of various types, but I want to start with something that will be the best tool in helping me learn to shoot straight and true first.

I'm going to swing by a local archery range this weekend to browse a little, but some input would be helpful as far as which brands are good and which to avoid. I would like to stay in the $200 or less range to start out with.