In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Practice

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Do you practice from elevated positions? I used to sit on my yard barn roof, but now I just use my self climber in the yard.
Not many of my buddies do this, most just shoot on the ground.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Ive got a power pole in my back yard that i strap my stand to and shoot off it. you just need a arrow caddy to fetch your arrows

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    arrow caddy, now your talkin!![:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    she should also be wearing a bikini

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree totally on the arrow caddy, just gotta make sure the woman's not home or i'll be the one gettin stuck[:D]

Only the strong survive!!!!!
  • NebraskabowhunterNebraskabowhunter Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never practiced from elevated positions before, but yesterday we shot in a 3D tournament and a couple of the stations were elevated long range shots. It amazes me how much your perception of distance can be changed by being off of the ground 10-15ft.

Guess that explains why I missed a nice buck last year lol...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    she should also be wearing a bikini

LMAO, boy oh boy my old lady would be mad to come home and see that. It might be worth all the trouble I'd have to go through [;)]

• gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I practice year round from every postion I can think of. Elevated standing, Elevated sitting, Elevated rotated 180 deg., on the ground standing, sitting, facing target, sideways to target, twist to target. Any position I think I might encounter when I go out hunting. Sometimes precarious shots present themselves and you can't move without being detected, so I practice everything.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It's also worth while to shoot from an elevated position at a target within 5 yards. Its a harder shot than it sounds, because you must not drop your bow arm and you will feel off-balance.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    It's also worth while to shoot from an elevated position at a target within 5 yards. Its a harder shot than it sounds, because you must not drop your bow arm and you will feel off-balance.

Very true, can't remember how many times I have shaved hair off their backs when they are 5 to 10 feet from the base of my stand.

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Very true, can't remember how many times I have shaved hair off their backs when they are 5 to 10 feet from the base of my stand.

That's a hard one to explain to your hunting buddies too. I hadn't had it happen to me for 4 years. Then, this year, I did it twice in one week. I was so mad at myself. One was on a real nice non-typical. His whole right antler came down and around his face with one beam poking his nose. Needless to say, he was kind of skinny. A well-placed arrow would have been doing him a favor.
    BEN
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never have. Always sighted in on the ground. I know there is a slight difference in elevation when shooting from ground level and tree level from your stand!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    I practice year round from every postion I can think of. Elevated standing, Elevated sitting, Elevated rotated 180 deg., on the ground standing, sitting, facing target, sideways to target, twist to target. Any position I think I might encounter when I go out hunting. Sometimes precarious shots present themselves and you can't move without being detected, so I practice everything.
    Lets see some deer pictures. then we will know if you practice as much as you preach. too much practice at targets and not real deer will screw you up. your better off taking your video camera out and get as close to deer as you can. Study their body language and learn how to anticipate what they are going to do this will allow you to make easier shots much like a billards player sets up for his next shot .[B)]
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Buckey,
    I have been in indiana for work so I just got back on, I saw your pictures, nice deer. I simply asked to see pictures because I don't know you from jack around the corner. Don't start stuff, this board is not meant for that. If you want to shoot against me that would be great, I will give you a free lesson on getting your * whooped.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    Hey Buckey,
    I have been in indiana for work so I just got back on, I saw your pictures, nice deer. I simply asked to see pictures because I don't know you from jack around the corner. Don't start stuff, this board is not meant for that. If you want to shoot against me that would be great, I will give you a free lesson on getting your * whooped.
    [xx(] Yo Adrian--- You dwew first blood not me. I dont know you from Jack. so can I see some of your deer. or possibly pictures of your dead targets. You Possibly are a better "target shooter" Hunter ??????? I have my doubts. whats the best tasting thrget? Oh did I mention the block did change their ad and is sending me a free target.I'M just busting your cubes you dont have to post pictures I know you have shot 140 150 class targets[:p] with your recurve bow blind-folded hanging upsiddown with your hands tied behind your back and the target 100 yards away. Gota be ready in case those "wraskley dweer sneek up you."

" A WISE MAN ONE SAY A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSLAND WORDS GRAHOPPER"