In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crossbows

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I've had a handicap permit to use a crossbow for close to a decade. Didn't do much last year due to weather, work, and somewhat dis-interest. I'm shooting a Barnett Revolution which is fairly old school these days. It always was extremely accurate close up but unimpressive beyond 30 yards.
This year I decided to change it up and bought a 3x scope. Wow, what a difference. I didn't realize how vague the red dot sight picture really was. Yesterday afternoon I zeroed the scope and shot a few bolts at 40 yards. Definitely won't be shooting multiple broadheads at the same target spot. Three shots from 40 yards using a standing rest over a tripod inside 2 1/2" with 2 bolts' vanes touching is the best I've been able to accomplish EVER.
Is it fair to allow everyone to hunt with a crossbow? I didn't make the rules and actually feel it isn't fair. I went through the steps , got a Doctor's slip, and requested permission to use the crossbow. Like flipping the switch MDC granted everyone the same allowance. MDC justified the change as "allowing more people to bow hunt" while cutting the number of animals each bow hunter can harvest. Sounds more like MDC wants to sell more tags.

Comments

• victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crossbows are now legal in MI. I've hunted 21 years with a compound. Just curious if there's any advantages to using a cross bow, Greater range with accuracy? Carrying? Reduced noise? Whatever.

I'll hunt this year with my compound but was wondering about switching. Gettin older and harder to draw 55lbs when it's colder.

Thanks,

Jim
    edited November -1
    Please don't jump all over me with both feet(long bow puritans) but I thought since they have limbs,strings and shoot fletched projectiles that I could ask.....
    Our hunting regulations are changing next year and I'm toying with the idea of a crossbow... Any suggestions????
    I was a recurve shooter for years, then a compound, but a nagging shoulder injury has ended my archery pleasure.
    I still want to hunt up close and personal, so I think a crossbow might work for me...
    edited November -1
    any one on here hunt with a crossbow. and if so would recommend one
    edited November -1
    This year TN changed the regulations to permit crossbow use during the regular archery season. Thinking about trying it out next year. Two questions.

First...what do all you "regular" bow hunters think about using crossbows in the regular archery season?

Second...what is a good, solid crossbow to buy for hunting?

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    For the money, what is out there better then a Horton Legend?
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two distinct advantages differences IMHO, are the accuracy provided by a rifle type hold with optics, and the "ready to fire" position of a fully cocked bow.

They also have some drawbacks. The main one IMHO is trying to re-cock while on stand. This can be a very dangerous event depending on what style stand you use. I can't even imagine this in a climber stand.

The other is they all seem heavy, and a bit bulky.

I have used one for several years now, but my shoulder feels really good this year, so I'll be using my compound.
  • tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was also just passed in PA this year. I bought and resold a horton (used it in OH) and now own an excalibur. I have found there are more disadvantages, to me anyway, than there are advantages.
    Major disadvantages : I would second the recocking in the tree. Nearly impossible.
    The other one is the NOISE. There is no way to make most crossbows quiet. THey simply are loud. The Bowtech Stryker is amazingly quiet and accurate, but at 12-1500 dollars, way out of my price range.

The largest advantage, in my opinion, is that fact that you do not have to draw. It reduces movement in the tree because you can sit, lift the crossbow, and pull the trigger. They are very accurate, but the loss of kinetic energy is substantial for any shots longer than, in my opinion, 30 yards. Having a scope, if it is legal in your state, is also an advantage for most.

I love using this in second archery when it is brutally cold and I am layered a ton. I am certainly glad I did not get rid of my switchback though, because I do preferr that bow to my crossbow for fall archery.
    Best of luck in whatever you decide.
  • glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found that the crossbow has more disadvantages than advantages in my opinion. Too noisy, heavy and bulky to lug around to mention a few, but I have a shoulder injury and can't use my compound any more. As far as distance advantage, I don't feel that anything outside 40 yards is shootable to me and that 35 yards is really the longest shot I personally feel comfortable with. The people I hear talking about 50-60 yard shots with a crossbow are off base as far as I am concerned. I haven't seen anyone with a crossbow shooting anywhere near that far.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want the best of both worlds look into a drawloc. Holds your regular compound bow drawn like an X-bow.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds dangerous[:)]
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    why is it that you loose some much speed with a cross bow? the bolts are heavier then regular arrows no? and i see crossbows in cabelas pushing up to 450fps where most compounds are pushing what 300? what causes such a loss of energy?
    edited November -1
    One site has myths about crossbows on them and tried to set many of these straight. It describes it this way, and it sounds accurate to me.

Myth: A crossbow shoots much faster and farther than compound bows.

Fact: Under controlled conditions, a series of velocity and kinetic energy tests were performed on two compound bows with 70# peak draw weights (248 and 205 feet per second) and 2 crossbows with 150# peak draw weights (228 and 242 feet per second). The bottom line was that both the compound bows and crossbows produced similar ballistic results. That is, the crossbows did not shoot farther or faster than the compound bows.

If anything, the crossbow begins to lose velocity and energy slightly faster than the compound bow after 30 yards because it shoots a lighter/shorter arrow. However, that difference, while measurable, is slight and insignificant considering the typical whitetail deer shot is less than 30 yards.
    edited November -1
    This information was from the ten point crossbow website by the way.
  • marryroymarryroy Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A crossbow is a weapon consisting of a bow mounted on a stock that shoots projectiles, often called bolts. The medieval crossbow was called by many names, most of which derived from the word ballista, a siege engine resembling a crossbow in mechanism and appearance.

Crossbows historically played a significant role in the warfare of Europe, the Mediterranean, and Asia. Today, they are used primarily for target shooting and hunting.
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by marryroy
    A crossbow is a weapon consisting of a bow mounted on a stock that shoots projectiles, often called bolts. The medieval crossbow was called by many names, most of which derived from the word ballista, a siege engine resembling a crossbow in mechanism and appearance.

Crossbows historically played a significant role in the warfare of Europe, the Mediterranean, and Asia. Today, they are used primarily for target shooting and hunting.

Gee.. thanks for the helpful Wiki input.

Mind game???[xx(]