In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yo John in Jax

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
You ever get up to Ga? I am not far from you.

Comments

• john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, unfortunately not often. I got to hunt in Silvania, GA (up near SC) a few years ago - - real fun trip - - but other than that .

Between the office, yard/house work, and family stuff I can't even make it to the range regularly. I think I got to spend about 10 whole days and maybe another 10-15 afternoons (general gun) hunting last year. I thought I could double that bow hunting, but this is opening weekend at 12 Mile WMA, and I won't be able to make it into the woods for at least a week - - having to work for a living sucks.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    I think Ga does Recip with Fl on hunting licences. So if you ever are in want of some other hunting land let me know. Our bow season opened up on the the 9th of this month.
    edited November -1
    Georgia is BEAUTIFUL! I love hunting up there, but a few years ago when I went to Silvania I had to buy an out-of-state license for something like $180.

I love hunting - would probably prefer hunting in GA, but since life, right now, won't give me any time I couldn't see joining a lease up there.

Are you in a lease? One of my best friends has big time farmers in his family up around Brunswick with thousands of acres under lease for farming, but for liability reasons they don't let anybody hunt 'em. Don't get me wrong he, his boys and his brother might get out there and pop one, but that's all the legal hunting those thousands of acres see.

Where do you hunt?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by john in jax
    Georgia is BEAUTIFUL! I love hunting up there, but a few years ago when I went to Silvania I had to buy an out-of-state license for something like $180.

I love hunting - would probably prefer hunting in GA, but since life, right now, won't give me any time I couldn't see joining a lease up there.

Are you in a lease? One of my best friends has big time farmers in his family up around Brunswick with thousands of acres under lease for farming, but for liability reasons they don't let anybody hunt 'em. Don't get me wrong he, his boys and his brother might get out there and pop one, but that's all the legal hunting those thousands of acres see.

Where do you hunt?

Brunswick huh? That is where my office is. I grew up on St Simons Island. Sure you cant sweet talk your friends family? Whats the last name? I may know them already. We live one county north.I am on a lease about 45 minutes away from my house. Why $180? You know you can buy a one day or 3 day license. I swear I remember reading something about risprocity between fl/ga on hunting licensess but that may only be with lifetime licenses.

Most of the guys in our lease are from Fl. Let me know if you are interested in one. The fees are really not bad.

Oh yeah... I can bring a guest onto my lease for $20 a day! Sooo... let me know if you want to hunt some in Ga! The club is not too far from The outlets at Darien so your other 1/2 could do a day of shopping, or go hunting with you.
    edited November -1
    The only name I can remember right now is "Uncle Penny" I'll have to check with Wendel to get/confirm their names.

I'd love to come up sometime - -I'll look into the license stuff.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by john in jax
    The only name I can remember right now is "Uncle Penny" I'll have to check with Wendel to get/confirm their names.

I'd love to come up sometime - -I'll look into the license stuff.

umm how old is wendel? I dated a guy named wendel keen whos family had a bunch of land.
    edited November -1
    His last name is Cribb - - I think the family he has near Brunwick are one parent or the other's cousins - - - They might be Darsy or Cribb. Could even be another name if it was a sister got married.

2 of the 6 people in my office are on vacation - - we are all going nuts trying to not to get too far behind. There's no way to stay caught up, but just trying to handle the emergencies is crazy.

Got out to the woods and scouted some Sunday - - the swamp the DRY. Places that help 2 and even 4 feet of water last year are bone dry. Very little sign in the "hot" spots I hunted last year.
    edited November -1
    John ... the recprocity is only with people over 65. If you get a day off let me know. You can get a single day license in Ga for I think $20 or so. I will be going out again on Saturday. Saw 2 yesterday, then got stung on the eye by a wasp so I got pissed and went home.
    edited November -1
    Owwwww! Wasp to the eye, yepo that's got to hurt just a little.

Wendel set me straight today. His mom's cousin Penny Smith and family live just outside of Brunswick. His mom's other cousin is the BIG farmer lives closer to Baxley, but has farmland leased from Baxley to somewhere near Brunswick - his name is Hugh Lightsey.

Got out Sun. and did some scouting - swamp's dry, way too dry. I'm convinced we need a Tropical Storm or something to come sit over us for a few days. Saw some sign, but nothing like last year.
    edited November -1
    Swamps are starting to keep some water here. Weird but the deer I have been seeing are moving mid-day. I have not seen anything but hogs and turkey in the mornings and evenings.

Its really nice to have someone here that understand my area. These guys all have a definate rut and I dont know how they would react to how it happens down here. I have seen them chase over 3 months time. I wish we got the hard change in weather so they would be more predictable, but the challenge is one thing I love. You know the challenge of hunting true southern swamps! My daughter leaned over to pick up a stick on Saturday only to notice it was a Water Moc. She stood up, but is not freaked out by snakes. That little bugger was very agressive for his size. We were guiding a canoe trip for Ft. King George so I had to clear the area.

You do any hog hunting? We have a nuisance permit on the club but cant use it until after turkey season. Got some cool pics of some hogs out there!!!
    edited November -1
    Sent ya a email.