In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DUSK OR DAWN?

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
WHAT TIME OF DAY HAS HUNTING WHITETAILS BEEN MOST SUCESSFUL FOR YOU.

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    When their moving.
    edited November -1
    Wow, I just couldn't pass that one up. [:D][;)]

Really, I'd have to pick morning. I do have one stand that I see more deer from during early afternoon hours, but that is the only one.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the morning better here to, although I have taken a few good ones in the evening.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Night.....no just kidding. I've had my best luck at dusk.
    Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say dawn aswell. I don't think there's a big difference in game movement, but I think I'm better in the morning.
  • dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early A M . during rut or changing wheather patterns.[:D]

dennis
    edited November -1
    Well, I was thinking, probably 3 out of every 4 deer that I've shot have been in the evening. I've always experienced more movement in the evenings. However, I'm also perpeptually recovering from the night before, so that could have something to do with it.

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I havnt killed a deer before noon for a few reasons
    1 I dont like to get up early
    2 deer move at dusk as well

And on the 3rd day god created the Remington bolt action rifle to protect the god fearing men from the evil muslims
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Been Avid Bow Hunting since 1967 and many hours in my tree's. I would estimate that I have about 4 times better chance of seeing a Buck in the evening (the last hour of light) than in the Morning during Bow Hunts.

Gun hunting is just the opposite with hunters stirring them around.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shut off your caps lock and hunt in the afternoon like civilised people.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are about equal I have spots for both times of the day. If you do your homework you can figure it out too.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    They are about equal I have spots for both times of the day. If you do your homework you can figure it out too.
    [8D]I have to agree I have had about 50% morning luck and 50% afternoon luck, i prefer afternoons seems like a longer window and I seem to be more alert right till the last light. In the morning after 8:00am seems like thing really slow down.
    edited November -1
    I agree buckeyboy. I'll also add, if you don't get out when it's still dark, you might as well not go out at all. It seems like the mornings that I get out late, I ALWAYS end up bumping deer.

Ben
    edited November -1
    [:0] Ben's a deer bumper? I woulda never thought. [:D][;)] Just teasin ya...

I used to have that happen to me, spooking deer on my way in to my stand. I started watching really close to their patterns of coming in. I figured out their patterns for different conditions and haven't had nearly as many encounters anymore. Sometimes I make my fiancee drop me off along the highway and I head up over and sneak in from a new direction or else I'll park at another farm and use their land to get to my stand. I try to mix it up a lot, but I'm sure I never fool all of them.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Benn44Benn44 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)][:)]
    That last 30 minutes on stand has always been my most productive. But when the bucks are "crusing" looking for receptive does, I sit my stand daylight 'till dark. Seen some dandies at twelve noon. As my mentor told me...the more time invested the better the odds.[8D]
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard Benn44. You gonna stick around for the long haul or find a better forum next week? Hope to see you around, we got to many coming & going, but not enough staying.

Jay

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent