In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crossbows

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
I've had a handicap permit to use a crossbow for close to a decade. Didn't do much last year due to weather, work, and somewhat dis-interest. I'm shooting a Barnett Revolution which is fairly old school these days. It always was extremely accurate close up but unimpressive beyond 30 yards.
This year I decided to change it up and bought a 3x scope. Wow, what a difference. I didn't realize how vague the red dot sight picture really was. Yesterday afternoon I zeroed the scope and shot a few bolts at 40 yards. Definitely won't be shooting multiple broadheads at the same target spot. Three shots from 40 yards using a standing rest over a tripod inside 2 1/2" with 2 bolts' vanes touching is the best I've been able to accomplish EVER.
Is it fair to allow everyone to hunt with a crossbow? I didn't make the rules and actually feel it isn't fair. I went through the steps , got a Doctor's slip, and requested permission to use the crossbow. Like flipping the switch MDC granted everyone the same allowance. MDC justified the change as "allowing more people to bow hunt" while cutting the number of animals each bow hunter can harvest. Sounds more like MDC wants to sell more tags.

Comments

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crossbows are now legal in MI. I've hunted 21 years with a compound. Just curious if there's any advantages to using a cross bow, Greater range with accuracy? Carrying? Reduced noise? Whatever.

I'll hunt this year with my compound but was wondering about switching. Gettin older and harder to draw 55lbs when it's colder.

Thanks,

Jim
    edited November -1
    Please don't jump all over me with both feet(long bow puritans) but I thought since they have limbs,strings and shoot fletched projectiles that I could ask.....
    Our hunting regulations are changing next year and I'm toying with the idea of a crossbow... Any suggestions????
    I was a recurve shooter for years, then a compound, but a nagging shoulder injury has ended my archery pleasure.
    I still want to hunt up close and personal, so I think a crossbow might work for me...
    edited November -1
    any one on here hunt with a crossbow. and if so would recommend one
    edited November -1
    This year TN changed the regulations to permit crossbow use during the regular archery season. Thinking about trying it out next year. Two questions.

First...what do all you "regular" bow hunters think about using crossbows in the regular archery season?

Second...what is a good, solid crossbow to buy for hunting?

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    For the money, what is out there better then a Horton Legend?
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...a remington...[;)]
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    What's hortons newest model? The hunter or something? My buddy has a legend and just got the newest model last year. It is a lot nicer. It seemed lighter and just felt more comfortable to me.
    I have always heard Horton is tops as far as cross bows go.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know what the best is, and unfortunately, didnt know many people with crossbows. I knew I did not want an entry level crossbow, because I knew I would be using it alot, and would quickly wind up upgrading.
    I woundup getting a Buckmaster Maxpoint. I like it a lot. Quiet, fast, and brutally accurate. Is it as good as a horton, or anything else for that matter, I dont know. All I know is it is a nice shooter.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man