In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New bow suggestions?

Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
Besides all of the banter back and forth between the Hoyt and Mathews camps, is there really any major differences in performance of the two brands? I'm thinking about getting a new bow (need to replace the 14 year old PSE Polaris Express) and I want to know what to look for when selecting a new bow. I know ya'll have said to go shoot them and see what feels the best, but what type of differences can I expect? Is there a major performance or quality difference between brands? etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My hoyt shoots great. I shot with someone that was shooting a switchback this last weekend, it was the quietest thing I have ever heard. To expensive for my budget though. I think performance and quality are the same. You just need to figure out what shoots best for you. That means pick up a hoyt, mathews, PSE, ect and shoot it.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I am partcial to the Mathews, bowtech and AR lines. But I agree with what shoff has said. Good luck let us know what you get and post pics.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The switchback is an icredible bow when you shoot it you will know what I am talking about. It all comes down to what feels good to you. Mathews has always felt good to me so I buy them.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first question on buying a new bow would be budget. Some of the newer bows can cost $700 and up. Most Mathews and Hoyts are going to be close to this.

I shoot a Hoyt Razortech and love it. It shoots hard and fast. I am working on making it a little quiter. One of the major things that I like about it the felt recoil in your bow hand. With this Hoyt design, after I release the arrow, I feel almost no vibration in my left hand. I know I do a lot of Mathews bashing on here (just too much fun) but they are good bows. Three of my friends shoot Mathews. When we shoot them across a chrony, all of our bows are close to the same speed with our hunting setups. We also have one guy shooting a Bowtech and his speed is close too.

In my opinion, I don't think you would be going wrong with any one of them. Speed, noise, setup, and maintance is all about equal on these bows. Shoot each and see what you think.

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
    edited November -1
    quote: a Hoyt Bless you. You did sneeze, right?

quote:I do a lot of Mathews bashing on here (just too much fun)
    Tis fun, although I enjoy bashin you Hoyt fellas.[;)][:D]
    anim_nutkick.gif

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still trying to get permission from the wife to make the purchase, but I think I'm getting closer. (She does make more money than me, so I do have to get the Ok from her). Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll get to shoot some pretty soon and make a purchase before the season starts.
    edited November -1
    Keep us posted on what you get so we know which band wagon you jumped on. Either the Mathews that is like a broke down, unicycle with a one legged rider... Or the ultra high tech HOYT wagon going as fast as a Top Fuel Dragracer.... Your call.

quote:bang250 Posted - 07/22/2005 : 09:33:17 AM

quote:
    a Hoyt

Bless you. You did sneeze, right? he fired the first round!!!! TO ARMS![:D][:D][:D]

edited November -1
    Slash you better slow your roll before I come down there and whoop your * shooting. I'll show you what a real bow can do. Mathews all the way.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I have to say is get what feels right to you, whether it's a Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, Mathews or any other brand. If you've had a PSE that long then look at their bows, my brother has a baby G and loves it. Main thing is make sure you like what you get and be comfortable with. Nothin worse than shootin a bow that keeps pi$$in you off or feels bad when shootin.

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif
    edited November -1
    Come on down Gog. Heck it could be fun![:D]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Come on down Gog. Heck it could be fun![:D]

You better have some cold beer waitin' for master Gog. and if you have some cold beer I'll see ya there. [:D]

edited November -1
    quote:Slash0311 Posted - 07/22/2005 : 1:30:33 PM
    Come on down Gog. Heck it could be fun!

Oh I'm sure it will be fun for me listening to you cussing up a storm because your struggling trying to keep up with my score.
    edited November -1
    Uh, score? I can only count to 10. Plus I don't drink beer. Never could acquire a taste.[:p]