In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

European Mount Complete

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
I mounted it on a nice piece of Black Walnut with 5 coats of poly. I just need to hang it on the den wall. It was a ton of work getting all the material off the skull. The next one will be much easier.
PetesBuck1.jpg
Europeanmount.jpg
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A buddy that's a taxidermist suggested that you can bury the skull in a few inches of dirt and the bugs will eat the little stuff. You still have to get must of the big stuff though. He said to put some wire fence around it to keep critters from chewing on it and leave it for a few weeks and it's done, ready for the chemical bleach. Anyone else heard of this?

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found many sheds and skulls in the woods. The larger animals love to chew on the antlers for the minerals as soon as they find them. Also, the skulls found in the woods are never as white as it comes out when boiling. Right now here in NY the ground is frozen so I would have to wait until spring and summer to try the burying thing. I am happy with the way mine came out.

a1peteshooting.jpg
    Abort Cuomo
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice Job..[8D]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Pete, that is definitely a unique looking mount. I got a decent 8 pointer today and plan on doing a skull mount on it. It was a respectable buck, but I have a bunch all ready mounted and another at the taxidermist now. I will post some pictures of the buck I got today and then follow up with some pics of the skull mount.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
    edited November -1
    I look forward to checking it out.

a1peteshooting.jpg
    Abort Cuomo
  • FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NY....I have been wanting to go shed hunting this spring.....can you give me any tips on how I go about finding these things? Top of hills, creek bottoms, thick cover middle of a field? I am in MO, so i'm sure it will be a little different, but any advice would help.
    edited November -1
    Hi Fannin
    I find places with a south facing slopes first. These are areas that are the warmest because the sun will beat on it all day. The deer will lay here in the spring. This is also the time of year that the antlers drop so there will be a higher probability of finding some here. The snow will melt first in these locations. I also find dense areas of Hemlock trees. These are used as yarding area during snow storms or deep snow. You will be certain to find something there, if not antlers that at least a skull or some bones from the coyotes. I go out looking as soon as the snow is almost gone because the varmits around here chew them up quick. I have found between 50 - 75 sheds and about a dozen full rack skulls. My job gives me the benefit of being in the woods almost everyday. I have yet to see a bobcat during the day in the woods.
    I hope this helps,
    Pete

a1peteshooting.jpg
    Abort Cuomo
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Hey whats up with the eye sockets man [?] they look weird did you drill holes there... looks good[;)]

Mathews1.gif
  • Daniel HomerDaniel Homer Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right!!!

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

"Move and the bunny gets it"
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Pete, I'll try to keep all that in mind this spring. Nice mount by the way. Man, I can't believe you've found that many! All I'm really wanting are a good pair of ratln' sticks.
    edited November -1
    I have switched to a rattle bag after I fell in a pair of antlers one day while hunting. They almost punctured my back. It left a mark for about a week. Never again !!

a1peteshooting.jpg
    Abort Cuomo
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1