In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Good starter bow

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
Hey all! I don't frequent the bow forum a lot, but from time to time I drop in. Have a quick question for you all. What is a decent compund bow for a beginning compund shooter? I have shot bow in the past(a lot when I was younger) and started shooting again about 1 year ago, but all of this was done with a recurve and no sights. I am wanting to get a compound to give me a little more confidence so I can start hunting. Nothing real fancy, but nothing extremely cheap either. Basically something that won't cost me an arm and a leg(in case I don't get addicted to it like I hope), but something that will serve me well for a long period of time if I really get into it. My size is 5'7 165 lbs. and my draw is right around 30". Thanks in advance.

Jon

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure of a bow that fits in your need. I can guess any PSE, Reflex, and Diamond line.

as for this comment though "My size is 5'7 165 lbs. and my draw is right around 30"

Your draw is probably closer to 26-27 then 30. You may of long arms and all, but not that long. Having a bow that is too long can be detrimental to your shooting.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    My size is 5'7 165 lbs. and my draw is right around 30"Jon

I am 5'7" and my draw length is 26" But I shoot 27" comfortably but not all shooters are comfortable shooting a longer draw

I would recommend going to an archery pro shop and being fitted for a bow and starting out on the right track so you don't learn bad habits that will take you a long time to correct

shooting a bow is a lot like playing golf you need to do every thing the same way every time to gain consistancy and accuracy[;)]

I will recommend the diamond line of bows (they are made by Bowtech)
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by csjs1194
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    My size is 5'7 165 lbs. and my draw is right around 30"Jon

I am 5'7" and my draw length is 26" But I shoot 27" comfortably but not all shooters are comfortable shooting a longer draw

I would recommend going to an archery pro shop and being fitted for a bow and starting out on the right track so you don't learn bad habits that will take you a long time to correct

shooting a bow is a lot like playing golf you need to do every thing the same way every time to gain consistancy and accuracy[;)]

I will recommend the diamond line of bows (they are made by Bowtech)

What he said. Go get measured up and get the right draw. 30 seems long for your hight. Unless you got monkey arms. [:D]

I'm just under to 6' and shoot 28".
    As for a particular bow. Again I would go shoot several and see what you like. There are so many good bows out now days.
    Mission archery, Diamond, PSE, Mathews, Bowtech....oh the list goes on and on.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30 sounds long to me too. I'm 6' and shoot a 29. A good friend of mine is 6'5" and he shoots a 29 as well.

As for a good bow at a good price, look at the Mission line at a Mathews dealer. The X3 is $330 and shoots as good as most $500 bows. I got one for my wife and what a shooter it is. BTW she is 5'10" and shoots a 27 1/2 DL.

If you want to consider used bows, there are a ton of them out there! Some real winners that you may be able to get at a good price are the Mathews Switchback, Switchback XT, or Drenalin, Hoyt Vectrix, Bowtech Allegence or Tribute. There are many other good bows, but these are big ones that came to mind fast. Martin makes good bows at a reasonable price as well.

Good luck and let us know what you go with. We can also make some reccomendations as far as acccessories if you like.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    ya, 30 seems a little long. im just under 6 foot and mine in 28". i shoot a diamond. it was pretty cheap for a new one but they are a real nice bow. i could afford one when i was...14
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for teasing me guys.[:D]Just had it measured again and it if officially 29 3/4". And yes, I do have monkey arms. Boy were they an advantage at my height when it came to playing basketball.[:p] Anyways, thanks for the suggestions fellas. I am going to do some looking around here in the next few weeks and see what I can find. Another question that I do have is, would I be better off buying a package deal or would I just end up replacing most of(or all of) the accessories in the future anyways?
    Also, on a side note, I am considering trading one of my guns in towards the bow as well, so if you think I would be better off stepping up to the $500 range let me know(maybe a lot more performance, etc). I am otherwise wanting to stay around $300 maybe a little more.

Jon
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Depends on the equipment that comes with the package. A package that came with a whisker biscuit, S-coil stab. I would keep those. Sight would be the only thing that might need replaced but again it depends on what it comes with.
    ie. this one I would keep it all for starters but probably replace the sight eventually.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?id=0046340&navCount=5&parentId=cat602590&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21424-cat602590&parentType=index&indexId=cat602590&rid=

This one I would replace the rest and maybe the sight, I'm a fan of the Montana black gold sight but it doesn't say which one this has on it.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat602590&id=0046350418163a&navCount=7&podId=0046350&parentId=cat602590&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=7IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602590&hasJS=true

Obviously these are just my opinion and you know what they say about those. [:D]