In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The rut is on in MN

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well it's here. Big Time! Sunday I had a HUGE doe being chased my a smaller buck. He was grunting so much I thought it was a duck! She ran right under my feet, then jumped/fell over the fence (property line) and stood broadside at 15 yds. The buck turned a little further away and stood where I could shoot, but he was a small scrubby 7pt. They hung around for 15 minutes or so and then the chase was on again. I'll be back in the same area all day Thursday.

I really wanted the doe. She was over 24" wide at the shoulder, and a true northern giant. I'd say dressed out in the 200lb mark. Most bucks here are not as big as she was. Too bad she stood 2' from the property line on the wrong side. I could have shot her, and no one would have known the difference, better judgment prevailed. I can hunt this property the whole month of November, so I have lots of time to find her again.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    The rut in this part of the state seems to be a week or so earlier than the southern part. Had a phone call this morning about a small buck chasin so I'd say another week and it'll be happening here which means a week later it should be on down south. Sounds like I planned my time off just right. [:D]

Good luck to you!
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw 4 bucks and 6 does tonight. 2 bucks where good ones. The last one was a sold 130" ling tine 10pt. Just too late by the time he got in range.

I passed on a fork horn that I think is an old deer. He was really big bodied, and the antlers had about 5" circumference. He walked through early at about 12yds. I just could not get myself to shoot him.

Everywhere I looked there was a doe or 2. I really wish I could be in the tree more, but my next day will be Sunday at best, and more like Monday for sure.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I'm able to get out tomorrow, supposed to be 70 degrees and 30 mph winds. [xx(]