In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Archery season

furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
My season is starting to stink. Anyone else having bad luck? I just don't want to be the only one, misery loves company you know.[:D]

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine too. I have seen what I think is the same buck 2 times, both way too dark to shoot, one early and one late. That is the only deer I have seen!
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not going real good so-far! Haven't even drawn on one yet...Seen quite a few but mostly out of range and/or no open shots...Not out there as much as I should be either.

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a 2-3 year old 8 point on oct 26, will have pics soon!
    Other than that deer I have only seen does and a youn buck.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have clocked well over 50 hours in the stand since Oct. 1st without scoring. I have had 2 bucks within 15 feet, but could not get a shot. We still have an unusual amount of leaves on the understory for this time of year. I saw 6 this evening (2 bucks)but they were out of range. I only have 3 more evenings to hunt and muzzleloading opens this Saturday. Its not looking good. I got a 5 point and a doe last archery season, but this year has been slow. The first part of October was sweltering heat, but it has cooled off over the past week or so and I am starting to see more deer. I'll keep trying.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you boys are givin' up before prime time even gets here??! [B)][}:)][:0]
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have been out 4 times this year and have had shots 2 of them why i havnt shot one yet is beyond me but im seeing deer so im happy

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Goin the next three weekends, I think prime time is here. From what I hear and read the Rut has started in Illinois. A guy I hunt with occassionally siad he watched a 170 chase a doe around and around and wouldn't give her a chance to rest and he beat the crap out of her little one. I read on another forum that this one fella has seen chasin and fightin since last Wed. and has seen it everyday since,
    So I'm goin huntin as much as I can.
    Bad luck??? Not yet!!

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    My biggest problem is too many deer. Have'nt even tried stand hunting cause there is no way to get to one outside of stillhunting to it which in my case would take 3-4 hours just to get to there. No matter which way I come in there are 1/2 dozen or more deer. Been still hunting and holding out for a nice 4x4 or better and large doe while being nearly run over by fawns,spikes,forks and small 3x3s and I'm sure as soo as I decide a smaller deer will do even those won't get close any more.
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    My biggest problem is too many deer. Have'nt even tried stand hunting cause there is no way to get to one outside of stillhunting to it which in my case would take 3-4 hours just to get to there. No matter which way I come in there are 1/2 dozen or more deer. Been still hunting and holding out for a nice 4x4 or better and large doe while being nearly run over by fawns,spikes,forks and small 3x3s and I'm sure as soo as I decide a smaller deer will do even those won't get close any more.

i'm sorry. i can't quite find it in myself to feel sorry for your situation. i've never been fortunate enough to have that problem.

40 and counting...
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Actually I don't consider it bad luck and am enjoying it. I'm one of those guys that hates to shoot even a decent buck if it will end my season too early. I'll hold out till the last day if possible. Drives my wife nuts. It's the chase that I enjoy. Though I did miss a doe because I was so awestruck by her stupidity.
  • furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong. I absolutely enjoy just being in the woods. I am seeing deer, mostly the same problems y'all are having, too far away or not a thing. They don't seem to keep much of a pattern in my neck-o-the-woods. They just meander in the same general area, but rarely the same spot twice. Any one else find that problem. I'll take any advice.[:)]

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe you could try to funnel them to you? It may work. Take some fishing line and put it on trails about knee high, the deer will stop and follow another trail, do that untill you have them on a trail that you are hunting on.
  • furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    maybe you could try to funnel them to you? It may work. Take some fishing line and put it on trails about knee high, the deer will stop and follow another trail, do that untill you have them on a trail that you are hunting on.

Really? Won't they just break it? Have you done this?