In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer Poll AM or PM

FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I got to thinkn' a little and was curious about whether people kill their deer in the AM or PM more.
I personally have killed a measly 9 deer since I started about five years ago and every single one has been in the AM. I thought that ws interesting, so If ya have time, and can remember, did you kill more in the am or pm?

Comments

• HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    This year I have 3 in the AM and one in the PM. I have been seeing them during both times, I just haven't had shot opportunities.

Last year, I killed 5 deer. All of but one of them came in the morning.

Year before that, both of the deer that I killed were afternoon deer.

2004 - 50-50

2003 - 50-50

I think you get the point.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For hours spent I would have to say I have killed more deer for my time in the morning. However when you take into consideration the fact that I have more evenings available to hunt than mornings, the actual number of deer I have killed in the evening probably out number the deer I killed in the morning. Given the choice I would hunt mornings. It's also easier to find then with the extra daylight.

It's been my experience that deer are active for a longer period after daylight than they are before dark, usually. That being said I have shot a lot of deer in the last 5 minutes of shooting time at days end. 2 of my best bucks came with the last ounce of daylight.

Being in the woods is better than not being in the woods. Hunt when ever you can.

Scout
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with scout for most of this one. I have just as many mornings as evenings, but prefer to hunt evenings better. I hunt near a quarry and there is a ton of noise until they shut down for the day. The evening hours are quiet.

I have shot many more deer in the evening than morning. I'm having a hard time remembering the last deer I shot on a morning sit. Shotgun about 2 years ago I guess. My biggest bucks have all been evening shots.

I do like the light for finding deer that are shot in the morning, but with a good light you can find deer shot in the evening too. That said I am going to try for a Thursday evening hunt this week...
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    well, i havent shot many deer but most of the deer i have seen have been in the morning.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Mornings generally. This year I have 2 morning and 1 evening, however one of the places I hunt I havent seen a deer in the morning yet. I prefer mornings.

Overall most of mine have been mornings.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only bow hunted 3 times in the morn."don't like to wake up that early"[|)]
    So to me Evening hunt are the best.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have seen my biggest deer in the middle of the day haven't seen many in the a.m the late afternoons has been good also
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    +1
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

Get you a summit viper climber, get up early get out there and set up then go back to sleep. Not sayin' I've ever done that or anything but I'm sure you can get some really good sleep out there. [:D] Maybe some of the best sleep you'll ever get. [^]

...'er so I've heard anyway. [:I]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I cant remember anymore... but it's either just getting light or just turning dark, 50/50 for me[:)]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen just as many in the morning as I have at dark. The problem I have in the morning hunts though is that I never can seem to get out of bed early enough and end up spooking something going to the woods. In the evening I am already in the stand before the deer begin to get active for the night.