In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Turkey

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
How many of you are gonna hunt turkey this year with a bow?
I picked up a spring tag yesterday, prices went up to $24 this year!
I've been dragging out my stuff and practicing my calls a bit. It's really not as much fun anymore since there are so many turkeys around. One farm I hunt, I see a flock of more than 2 dozen darn near everytime I go on the back side of the property. I shouldn't say it isn't much fun, it still is and I'm excited to go.

How about the rest of you?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Anyone know the BEST shot to take down a turkey with an arrow? Spring is a'commin and I need some input!

Thanks,
    A.Gun
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I cant get um with a shotgun so the bows outs

Pinky-what are we going to do today brain?

Brain-the same thing we try to do everyday...try and take over the world!
    edited November -1
    I take it the turkey population in NY isn't to high? Maybe you need to stop studing so much and take a trip to Ohio for some huntin. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    no it is high but someone doesnt like to get up at 5 am and walk out back

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am planning on going in my backyard and shoot one with a bow. They practically never leave my property. I wouldnt shoot one with a shotgun-would be too easy-but I figure if I use a bow it will make it somewhat of a challenge. Never got a turkey with a bow.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    no it is high but someone doesnt like to get up at 5 am and walk out bac

[:D][:D][:D]
    You only got to do it one morning if you find out where they roost, just sit there and they'll fly to you.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    I am planning on going in my backyard and shoot one with a bow. They practically never leave my property. I wouldnt shoot one with a shotgun-would be too easy-but I figure if I use a bow it will make it somewhat of a challenge. Never got a turkey with a bow.

somewhat of a challenge with a bow is right. It's pretty hard drawing on them and not being seen. I call them in when using a shotgun, but most of the time when I use a bow I setup up down from their roost or close to where they enter fields.

edited November -1
    I have know where they roost but the turkey is the smartest creature on the face of the earth who takes my best laid plans for sucess and ruins them, give me a deer anyday

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension- Do you hunt them on te ground, or in a tree?

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Suspension- Do you hunt them on te ground, or in a tree?

Both, but I have been caught more times while in a tree than on the ground. This year I hope to buy a blind, one of the really good ones. Normally I sit in natural blinds, places where I am open in front of me, but both sides are totally concealed with a small opening to look through. Or I setup just below the top of a ridge, if I'm lucky enough to get a tough guy or one really looking for love they cross the ridge rather quickly and I don't have to hold draw that long.
    Last year I hunted with a buddy on his property which is fairly close to public hunting areas. He had saw a real nice gobbler in the area so we hunted it hard at least a dozen times. Those birds would not come close enough for a shotgun let alone a bow. The day after we gave up on that bird I took him to one farm I hunt and just happen to be the only turkey hunter there and we both took gobblers by 10 or 11, still had time before lunch.

• s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    No Bagged Turkey here in the last two years.

Saw them advertsed at Giant Eagle the other day for .59 cents per Lb.

Seems tempting.

I can buy a really big one for less than the price of the Turkey Tag.And I would not have to get up 2 hours before first light.[:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by s.gun

No Bagged Turkey here in the last two years.

Saw them advertsed at Giant Eagle the other day for .59 cents per Lb.

Seems tempting.

I can buy a really big one for less than the price of the Turkey Tag.And I would not have to get up 2 hours before first light.[:p]

[}:)] I spent $24 on my tag, I could buy over 40 lbs of turkey at that price (already plucked!) Oh well, you'll be envious of me while I sit in the rain at 5AM [:D][;)]

• s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I have the First Week of Turkey for Vacation.Guess I'll go out 5 or 6 times but; come Saturday I may have to stop in Giant Eagle on the way home.[:)]

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    at least you have a back up plan!

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Illinois Archery Tags are only $5.00!!! I always buy one, cause they're so cheap. Last year I came close to getting a HUGE TOM. His beard was literally dragging ground. I called him in to 30 yards just using my mouth. But, He busted me.
    Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
    edited November -1
    dragging the ground, wow. I've only ever seen one tom that big and he wasn't even close to being 30 yards from me [:(]

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    You want to hear an even sadder story. That turkey was with 3 other big toms. I was deer hunting and honestly not even very excited with the turkey near my stand. Near my camp, I met an old man and his son-in-law, who were fall turkey hunting. They were both ameteurs, the son actually walked in on my tree stand without seeing me, and I whistled at him for probably 10 minutes. The old man had just lost his wife 6 months earlier, and seemed in bad shape. He was a very humble man. Well, they hadn't seen any turkeys and I kind of felt sorry for them. So, I took him out to the spot, pulled my stand, and showed him what direction they came from and where they had been roosting. Pretty good info for two guys who'd hunted a week and not seen crap. He went out that afternoon with his son-in-law and here is the story he told me.

He said they were sitting there and sure as doodoo the gobblers came in right where I said they would with the Big Tom leading. He shot the turkey and it ran/flew about 80 yards away, and went down at the bottom of a hill. They got re-situated and tried to call the other Toms back in so they could both shoot one. Well their efforts to call them back in were futile(I heard them call, it was bad). Here's the kicker, when they went to get their bird they told me that "there was a fox eating it, and it ran off with bird-in-mouth when we tried to shoot it." Now, I know that it had to have been a red coyote that stole their bird. Our foxes are about 1/2 the size of a big tom. But still, Damn the LUCK!!! I did what I could to help those boys, it was just not their day.
    Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
    edited November -1
    poor guys

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turkey huntin' is the most blood-rushing, heart punding, and most fun sport i'm involved in! I love it...even though I have never even shot at one before the rush of hearing a spring gobbler gets my heart every spring! I'd like to hunt with a bow but I need to get one with my brand new remington 870 pump [8D]
    edited November -1
    Now that is some bad luck, I hate to say it but it's almost funny.

One of my buddies and I helped a younger guy get started in bow hunting during his junior or senior year of high school. His parents had a farm and some really nice woods with plenty of good deer eats the entire way around the property. We had him shooting good, got a nice stand built, but unfortunatly the best place we found for his stand was only 30-40 yards from their property line. His fourth or fifth morning in that stand brought a really nice buck straight underneath him, he shot, the deer ran across the property line and he saw it stumble as it started over the small rise. He didn't wait he climbed down and ran straight over[:0]. When he got their a guy was walking up to the deer he just shot. It ended up the guy told Lawerence to get off the property and that he had killed the deer not Lawerence. My buddy and I drove to the house later that night after Lawerence told us what happened (we thought we knew the people that lived there, but ended up we didn't). They were all acting like *'s to us so we just left without saying much since it wasn't even our deer, but from what I could see of the deer hangin in their tree I'd have to guess it would have scored in the high 140's min, it was a nice buck. [:(]

A.Gun I sure agree with you on that spring gobble [:)]

• crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is anything that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, It's the gobble of the ole spring gobbler. Could not beleive how loud the first time I hunted them. Got lucky and filled both tags last year. Only two weeks away and counting like a kid at christmas time![:D][:D][:D][:D]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • SlowpitchSlowpitch Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is my 1st year hunting Wild turkey with a Bow as well with my gun, I got everything i need ready But Experiance, that I will get May 1st here in NY, I never buy a single tag Always go for super sportsman Get spring/fall turkey, deer, beer & everything else for $68 Did i say beer ? i meant Bear ;),, Good luck everyone Thats going out Im looking foward to it Myself...

Slowpitch
  • GUIDOMANGUIDOMAN Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought a new PSE Avenger. Going to try it this year. Didnt put in for spring hunt none around in the spring, but come fall they are everywhere. Took a 7 1/2 beard last fall with the Mossberg. This year I'll try the Bow, seen a MONSTER last fall must of been 10" to 12" beard and he had 3- 5" to 6" beards and at least 15 hens with him.
    Gotta dig that Huh[:D][:D][:D]