In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

longest shot You have made

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
Ive shot at 3 deer my whole hunting carreer. the longest was between 15 and 20 yards. It wasnt a perfect shot some how I managed to put an arrow down through the top of him missing his spine by a 1/2 an inch and took out both lungs. This year I hit a doe at 13 yards and took her down with a good shot. the only deer I have missed was a 10 pointer when I just started hunting. I got my bow 3 days before and shot at the shop where i got the bow, I then went hunting. On my way into my stand I saw the biggest deer Ive ever seen standing in the open at 20 yards. I drew back fired and the damn thing jumped my string. I almost cried I was 16. My dad and I spent the next 2 hours looking for blood and hair but to no avail

And on the 3rd day god created the Remington bolt action rifle to protect the god fearing men from the evil muslims

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Furthest shot I have made on a deer would be in the range of 35-37 yards. I try not to go over 30, this year will be less than that even.
    Two years ago a buddy had a little get together/cookout/bowshoot at his place. After completing the course there was a bullzeye shoot off to determine the winning, I sank 6 arrows at 50 yards. Surprised me, but I still came in second cause I missed my seventh and the other guy didn't.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    35 yards, pot shot on a baby. I usually have to keep it outside of 15-20 yards because I hunt so high, anything closer will not get a double lung. I'm thinking of hunting lower this year, because I think it will open more shots up for me.

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    35 yards, pot shot on a baby. I usually have to keep it outside of 15-20 yards because I hunt so high, anything closer will not get a double lung. I'm thinking of hunting lower this year, because I think it will open more shots up for me.

Ben

How high do you hunt Ben?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    20-30ft usually on ridges that can make the actual distance above the deer a little more.

I like to get way up there with the birds and squirells.[:)]

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I stay away from the tree rats I had a red one come down on me one morning just before sun up. it was about a foot above my head and it lets out a cry right from the devil himself. I was definatly airborn off my stand for a second before land back on my seat. then wielding an aarow like a sword I tryed to hit him with it

And on the 3rd day god created the Remington bolt action rifle to protect the god fearing men from the evil muslims
    edited November -1
    Ben, 20-30 isn't bad, I thought you meant higher than that. Most of mine are under 20 feet high, I do have a couple closer to 24 feet where the brush is thicker and it's harder to see anything coming.
    I got one buddy that puts his 30 feet high minimum, I hunted one of his last year and it had to be 35 feet or more in the air, almost got motion sickness, that was way to high for me.

headvilla, LMAO picturing you and that squirell! I went out one morning in West Virgina, completly dark out and was sitting in my stand half asleep waiting for it to get light when I heard a bobcat squal. Sounded like the thing was next to me in that stand. I almost jumped out of my britches I was so scared. [:D]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 years ago I made a shot from 39 yds. from the ground, never made it to the tree. I sat behind a brushpile and waited for the doe to make the turn then whacked her. After I retreived her I stepped it off and realized how far it was. Suprised even me[8D].

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!