In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

planning a hunting trip

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
I want to go on a guided hunt someplace in the midwest next year. How does one go about planning this. I have been looking online and its not telling me to much

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.

Comments

• FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.huntfind.com/index.html?/guide/state/ks/kansas_big_boys.html
    http://www.trophydeerhunt.com/

http://www.eagleridgeoutfitters.com/

It depends on where you want to go in the midwest....these are some that I have seen used on some hunting shows. Never been on a guided hunt though. I am from southwest Missouri though. I hunt on my father-in-laws land in Northern MO and there are some decent sized bucks, but if Whitetail hunting is what you're after....you HAVE to go to Kansas.....Some amazing sized deer there.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can afford it, I have heard that Boulder Creek Outfitters located in Idaho are second to none for guided hunts. I have not used them, but have read nothing but positive things about their operation. You better be in great physical condition, because you will walk miles and miles every day. A whole lot of "spot and stalk" with these guys. They generally will not let you shoot any deer less than 150 class. They should have a website if you do a Google search. I've never tried though. Good luck.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    My Dad is lookin at buyin' a lodge in Southern Illinois. Hes headed down this week to look it over and another 100 acres close to it. I'll let you know what goes down, maybe I can get you a decent deal if he makes the purchase.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    bang...where at in Southern IL? I am just across the river from Metropolis. Can't get much more southern in IL than that!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Its in pope county.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    free hunts for all gb members right lol
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Head all depends on what ya got to spend and what your expectations are what you require for accomidations. DO NOT BOOK A HUNT WITH AN OUTFITTER JUST BY TALKING TO HIM AND GOING ON THEIR WEB SITE> Get references repete customers call around and do some research or you will be taken...[;)] OH YEA GET REFERENCES OF UN SUCESSFUL HUNTERS ALSO AND ASK THEM DID THEY GET OPPERTUNITIES AND SO FORTH. OF COARSE A SUCESSFUL HUNTERS GOING TO TELL YOU IT'S GREAT. I'VE SEEN SOME REAL MISSLEADING CRAP. EVEN WHERE I HUNT IN N DAKOTA THE HUNTING IS GREAT BUT IF YOU GO ON THE WEBSITE TWO OF THE LARGEST BUCKS I POSTED PIX OF WERE NOT BOW KILLSAS ADVERTISED AND I'M A LITTLE PISSED ABOUT THAT IF YOU LOOK CLOSLY AND I WILL REPOST PIX THEY HAVE RIFLE TAGS ON THE ANTLERSCarrollandJason.jpg

Mathews1.gif
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Its in pope county.

my favorite![:p][;)]

squirrel.jpg
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    WHAT[?] SQUIRREL NUTS[:D][:D]

Mathews1.gif
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    yeah, buckey. The tubbie is gone...Long live the squirrel!

Ben

squirrel.jpg
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    heres what i want. I want to shoot a 130 to a 140 class buck and im willing to spend a total of 3000 for it. Most of all I want to see lots of deer. I want to do it with a bow sometime about the first week of november. Id love to have an opportunity to do it cheaper than that if the oppourtunity was to arise.

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    What about going somewhere closer to you? That way you would be spending less money on travel/time and more money on the hunt. Your talking about a game preserve type hunt right, guarenteed kill or whatever?
    There are a few places not a half hour drive from where I live that offer whitetail hunts for around 2 grand. I believe they pretty much guarantee you'll take a 130+ deer, least that's what I've been told. I have never check into any of them.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    sus I dont want a canned hunt but real live free ranging deer

• Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since it hasn't been mentioned, one thing that I have heard is that most places will consider a hunt "successful" if you get a shot "opportunity" not just killing an animal. I can understand that it wouldn't be their fault if our weapon was off and we miss but it really gives outfitters a lot of room to "fudge" the numbers in their favor. It might be worth asking what they call a successful hunt in their advertising. Good luck! I'v never been able to afford a hunt like you are speaking of, but then again, I'm blessed to live in a area with tons of hunting areas and I'm now on a 900+ acre lease with 8 other guys that I've hunted my entire life with so now I really don't need to.

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
    edited November -1
    head, here are some pics of deer from Kansas and Missouri:
    [img]C:\Documents and Settings\Travis Fannin.TRAVISOFFICE\Desktop\100_0885.JPG[/img]
    [img]C:\Documents and Settings\Travis Fannin.TRAVISOFFICE\Desktop\deer 014.jpg[/img]
    [img]C:\Documents and Settings\Travis Fannin.TRAVISOFFICE\Desktop\05bow1_1.jpg[/img]
    edited November -1
    hey....just let me know if the pictures are too big. [:D][:D][:D]
    sorry, i suck at resizing.....big is all I know.

and by the way....the first one actually came from Canada, I think.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO PIC. FANNIN [:(]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    sus I dont want a canned hunt but real live free ranging deer

Okay, I wondered, but wasn't sure.

If it was me I'd check into places in Northwest Kentucky, Wisconsin, and them Illinois boys sure take some nice bucks. Those would be the three states I'd narrow my searches down to. Find out where the largest deer populations are, which of those areas harvest the nicest bucks each year, then pack a tent and head out. Make it a class project, we'll all grade you when you return. [:D][;)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent