In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My name is Ben, and I'm a thunderheadaholic.

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
I've been trying to talk myself into switching broadheads for 2 years now, to no avail. After reading the "Broad-Head Lethality Chart" posted by headzilla, I've decided that it would be best for me and the creatures that venture near my stand(while I'm awake) to switch to a fixed 2-blade. Now I've just got to decide on what brand and weight I want to shoot.
I am currently shooting 2117s with a 100gr Thunderhead at 60lb draw weight. The combination of light arrow weight and low draw weight really limits my range on big deer.

So I've got to decide--Zwickey, Dead-Heads, or Grizzly. And I need to decide if I wanna move up in grains. If I choose the Dead-Heads I'll have to go up, because I don't think that they even made a 100gr head. Any suggestions???

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me too looking for suggestions. I currently shoot Muzzy 3 blades, 100 grain.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Im set of my rocket arrow head expandables

Pinky-what are we going to do today brain?

Brain-the same thing we try to do everyday...try and take over the world!
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shootin thunderhead 100gr for years and keep killin deer with it so until they fail me i'm staying with them. My brother used to shoot expandables until one didn't open, now he's back to thunderheads. I think whatever is workin and a person feels good with means be happy and not change. Only thing i've changed is arrows, I used to shoot c/c until one shattered. So i've went back to my 2219 XX78 super slams. Again though, it's personal preference. In some places like guided trips they will state in their brochere, "No Expandables".

Only the strong survive!!!!!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I think I'll pick up a pack of single blades to try and see what I think. Unless I see a big difference then those 3 will be the only ones I get.

fishermanben how come you feel like your 60# draw is low? I just wonder cause I'm not big on setting bows up heavy. I think if your really comfortable holding draw on 70# then fine, but if I draw on a 160+ class whitetail and it takes longer to get into my lane then I expected then I sure wouldn't want my bow set at 70#
    I had my hoyt at 70# last season but I dropped to 60# the other week and I may turn it down more even before season starts. I feel if your in the 50's your fine, least for Ohio. I wouldn't try that for Elk. [;)]
    Boy I started rambling didn't I? sorry

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I can draw more; however, I can hold 60lb well. Also, on extremely cold days, even 60lbs can seem like a lot to get back. But, the boys that I hunt with are all pulling 70+ Mathews and I like the looks of their kills and the trajectories of their arrows. I'm shooting a 2000 model PSE Nova, and it is not a very powerful bow, so I feel like I need to compensate by raising my draw weight or going to a 2 blade broadhead.

But, 60lbs is a far cry from what I started out with. At 12 years old I think I could have outrun my 40lb American Bow; but, I killed with it, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about 60lb. And now I'm rambling so, I guess my point is: You have to capitalize on your bowhunting opportunities. So when the moment comes, you really want your rig to perform like a champ, especially if you square a rib or graze a shoulder. You do not need a pass through to kill a deer, but it can help emmensly in finding it, so that is why I am considering raising my draw weight and going to a 1-blade head.
    Ben
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Ive got a nova shooting between 65 and 70 pounds too, but if you stick um with it they die

Pinky-what are we going to do today brain?

Brain-the same thing we try to do everyday...try and take over the world!
    edited November -1
    Ben that makes sense.

I know a guy in his late 60's or early 70's now that still bow hunts every single year. His bow must be set around 40, which I believe is not legal around here, but he kills a big doe or else a year and a half old buck every year. He calls a buddy of mine or me to come and get it out for him. One time he stopped at my buddy's while we were shooting and got his bow out to shoot with us, my neice was 10 or 11 at the time and she ended up shooting his bow really well for being her first time.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I consider myself very lucky to still be able to hunt with my 75 year old Grandfather. He's gonna need a crossbow one of these days, but I don't think he'll get one. He's too proud.
    edited November -1
    75 and still hunting, now that is a true sportsman there. That's good

• DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100 grain 3 blade Muzzy. BAD TO THE BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    I've been trying to talk myself into switching broadheads for 2 years now, to no avail. After reading the "Broad-Head Lethality Chart" posted by headzilla, I've decided that it would be best for me and the creatures that venture near my stand(while I'm awake) to switch to a fixed 2-blade. Now I've just got to decide on what brand and weight I want to shoot.
    I am currently shooting 2117s with a 100gr Thunderhead at 60lb draw weight. The combination of light arrow weight and low draw weight really limits my range on big deer.

So I've got to decide--Zwickey, Dead-Heads, or Grizzly. And I need to decide if I wanna move up in grains. If I choose the Dead-Heads I'll have to go up, because I don't think that they even made a 100gr head. Any suggestions???
    fisherman, Iuse muzzy 3 blade and have never had a problem. I keep telling everone to look up slick trick broadheads their 4 blade awsome broadhead i ordered some and tried them shoot at plywood metal barrel theese things are unbelivable fly like feildtips to did not have to line up with vains or feathers.