In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Muzzleloader hunters, heard of this????

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was talking to a buddy of mine last night and he told me about a nice 130 class buck he shot at and missed. (Not the same guy with the double load and no weapons maintance) The buck stood there and looked at him so he went to reload and couldn't get his bullet and sabot pushed down the barrel. He said after 15 minutes of trying the buck left and he had only gotten the bullet down about 2 inches. He took it home and had to use a hammer and his ramrod to drive the bullet out. He tried with a different type of bullet and still couldn't get it in. He talked to an "old timer" that hunts with us that has been ML hunting for close to 50 years and he told my buddy that the cold weather made the barrel constrict that made the tolerances too tight to get the bullet in. Now, I know that it's been cold here but I can't believe that! Has anyone else had this happen to them or heard of this? My buddy was going to try keeping his ML in the house overnight to warm it up and see if he can then load normally.

waco.gif
Semper Fi!

Comments

• carson0384carson0384 Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have an old single shot .22 that once it got cold, you couldn't get the bulles to go in the barrel. So yea I believe it.

whatnow.jpg

"Guns don't kill people, husbands who come home early do." -Larry the Cable Guy
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a muzzleloader hunter or shooter for that matter. But I can't believe that it would constrict that much to need a hammer to drive it in. A little snug maybe!

untitled.jpg
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive only had that happen after a few shots and the barrel got dirty. He should make sure he is using the right bullet with the sabot, he could be using the wrong bullets.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    actually I very much believe that. If the barrel was dirty, say he was practicing with it before he went hunting or it was not clean before he shot it. I mean you know you have one shot through it and it only takes a few shots to really fowl up a muzzleloader.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dirt was kind of what I was thinking too. I know that he was using the right bullet. He tried two different brands and had the same problem. But I agree that I just can't see a barrel constricting enough to make loading a bullet and sabot impossible.

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had to have been dirty, that's way to tight to have to use a hammer.

00deer4.gif
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Dirt was kind of what I was thinking too. I know that he was using the right bullet. He tried two different brands and had the same problem. But I agree that I just can't see a barrel constricting enough to make loading a bullet and sabot impossible.

i could do the calculations for you, but don't feel like digging through my materials information for the formula. ;)
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I agree with everyone else, dirty barrel + cold weather tightening the metal = no sabot slide.
    I use bore butter with each load, I feel it keeps my barrel from getting dirty as fast. That's just what I think though, I don't really know. I do like the smelly yellow goo on my fingers though. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say it was dirty..Don't believe a barrel is going to constrict that much [B)]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After I shot my buck (see "Slash done good") with my muzzleloader, I didn't have any problems getting my gun reloaded. Well, uh, other than the "post shot gitters" but that's a good thing! I'd have to say dirty barrel! Thanks for the replies!

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:I do like the smelly yellow goo on my fingers though.

Oh Boy!!

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    quote:I do like the smelly yellow goo on my fingers though.

You should have that looked at, my firend had the same problem, but he cleared it up with some antibiotics

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    probley a burr or somthing on the sabot. no way hot cold or dirty should yuo need to use a hammer.[B)] did he put calipers on the sabot he removed I'll bet its larger..[;)]

Mathews1.gif