In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what kind of bow do u have

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
I have a PSE nova from 1999. Ive killed 2 deer with it but cant get a pass through with it. The one deer I shot in the back but got both lungs "I have no idea how i did that". The second I shot this year I choked and gut shot a doe but took out the liver and everything else with my rocket broadheads. Here my problem I stick um and the arrow hangs out by about a foot and it hits every little branch in the woods and cuts stuff to hell on the inside "good thing". Should i get a new bow or stick with this one. Ive been looking at hoyts and like the feel and looks any suggestions

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I have a browning that I got in Jr high, don't remember the actual style name if it. I still use it if the weather is crappy with rain or snow. I have never shot clean through a deer with this bow, it'll bury the arrow, but never went all the way through.
    I also have a hoyt superslam that I picked up in 91 or 92, somebody brought it brand new and didn't like it, so that's where I came into play. I have shot clean through deer with this bow, but most have been 10 yards or less with a very extreme angle, in others words darn near underneath me.
    I really like my hoyt, if your gonna get a new one I would definately consider the hoyt line. As far as your PSE, I'd keep using it if I where you. I don't put much into new bows and equipment (like new guns though [:D]). I just keep reusing all my old stuff and never update. Sounds like your bow is killing deer for ya so why change?

I have a friend who is considering getting into achery so if you do decide you want to sell your PSE e-mail me a price and I'll check with him. I'd change quick though so you can be completely ready and setup for when season hits.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a reflex I got 2 years ago, just love the way it shoots. Before that I have had a Browning and an Oneida screamin eagle.

Only the strong survive!!!!!
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Custom Pronghorn Longbow 56#@28" Sedua riser and flat grain red elm laminated limbs. Very good shooting and good looking long bow.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Parker feather mag, 2000 model. It has adequate speed, but is on the slow side. I have NEVER had an arrow NOT go through a deer. Do you use the same broadheads for hunting that you use when practicing? If you do, sharpen them religiously. I have a friend who doesnt pay all that much attention to his broadheads, shoots them 100x at a practice target and then goes and hunts with them. If he ever shoots a dee, itll be a mess. I am pretty fanatic about making sure my broadheads are sharp. When I get in my stand, I take an arrow out of the quiver, and give it a couple of hits wit the sharpner.
    Also, you really should not be shooting through brush to begin with. An arrow is not like a bullet, and hitting a blade of grass can send that arrow way off course, and if you do get it to go through the brush and hit the deer, the arrow will have lost an enormous amount of energy from the brush banging.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    No my tips are right out of the box so they should be sharp right. I shoot one to make sure its on then that one becomes my mess around arrow in the woods for targets of opportuninty. All my stands are on the borders between woods and brush, im set up in the woods, but the deer when shot head right to the brush with the arrow sticking out of them, hit the brush when they enter it.

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Headzilla-Sorry I read it wrong. I thought you were saying that you shoot through brush.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Mathews Outback about a month ago I absoultely love it it is very very fast and it is extremely short 31 1/2" axle to axle. The thing I like most though it has a 7 5/8" brace height which means no more accidental arm smacking. Very accurate bow. I have an extreme quick release rail mounted sight, an mpsi drop away rest, and a release loop. So thats my rig.
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a High Country Carbon 4 Runner with 75 pound limbs, 2 years old. If there is a better shooting bow I will have to see it. The last deer I took with it I shot in the chest at 30 yards and the arrow came out the hind quarter, complete pass through. Last year in Canada I shot a very large black bear at 25 yards and the arrow pass completly through on a broadside shot, missed P&Y by 1/2". I shoot Steel Force 2 blade broadheads with ICS 400 Beman carbon arrows, 29" long. And this does not count the many exotics in Texas I have shot with complet pass through.

Hornet.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hoyt Fast Flite at #71 pounds, 17 inch shaft 2413, 3 inch vane, 125 grain Thunderheads, no problem with pass through. Unless I screw up.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • dallas.comdallas.com Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HOYT CYBERTEC, LOVE IT
  • BowBoyBowBoy Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an AR-31 and I just bought a High Country SSR carbon bow.
    Last year was my first year bowhunting and I killed two deer.
    I shot a doe from a pretty extreme angle from a tree stand. The arrow entered high on her right side and came out of the opposite shoulder carving off a 1 1/2" piece of bone. I only caught one lung with the shot but she died after running about 125 yards.
    The second deer I shot was from 42 yards and the arrow went completey through and stuck six inches in the ground. The arrow hit a rib on entrance and exit taking out the heart and both lungs. He piled up in less then 35 yards.
    I am shooting lightweight carbon arrows and don't seem to have a problem with penetration. I also used 85 grain Thunderhead broadheads last year. This year I will be using 75 grain Steelforce Titaniums from my HCA bow. My total arrow weight is only 250 grains but I am getting more penetration the I was with a 325 grain arrow last year.
  • runt-hunterrunt-hunter Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 hoyt deviators, 2 hoyt havotecs, 1 ultratec, 1 defiant, 1 oasis, 1 aspen, 1 enticer and one ex-wife. Two deviators have the master cam, one has the red line cam. One havotec and ultratec has the excel cam. The other havotec has the cam and a half. The aspen has the red line cam and the oasis has the command cam. The enticer and defiant has the master cam. I shot my best groups with the deviator with red line cam. I could shoot 50 yard 9 arrow 2 inch groups with acc-360's consistantly with this bow. I am a lefty. I don't shoot as much as I use too since I broke my back and my ankles--OUCH--about a year and a half ago. I shot some today with my ultratec. I am getting it lined out. Thinking of doing some 3D this year.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horton Explorer crossbow. Does that count? Shoots very nice and killed a few deer with it.

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    everything counts crosshair [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    approx 2001 PSE Nova w/ 65% letoff
    2117 Eastons w/ 100gr Thunderheads
    Whisker Biscuit
    Carter One Shot Hunter Release(Absolutely Awesome!!!)
    Keller Pendelum sight
    String loop

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pearson Spoiler twin cam. 70lb draw with 6" overdraw. Very fast and accurate. But very loud.
  • GUIDOMANGUIDOMAN Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a PSE Avenger and its shooting 305 FPS IBO at 20 yards with a 2413 XX78 Super Slam with a 125 grain Rockey Mountain Razor broadhead. Havent tried this combination with this bow on deer yet but I have used this combination with my old Bear Whitetail Classic XL and it was only shooting 250 IBO at 50% let off and it went clean through a few deer and definatly killed the ones it didnt go through. The Nova I hear is a pretty quick bow as well. Is yours tuned to peak weight or turned down, and what type of arrow and broadhead are you using. Maybe that is the problem.[:D][:D]

The GUIDOMAN
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Hoyt Magnatec w/ the 2000 limbs. I'm new so i got the cheapest bow from a reputable company. I haven't been able to shoot lately because I moved into a big city. I like the bow but have nothing to compare it to.
  • ufgators68ufgators68 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PSE Durango w/ bullwhip cam. 250 fps, 28" PSE Carbon Force Dominator Arrows, 100 gr Muzzy four blade broadheads, whisker biscuit rest.
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    Hoyt pro force extream 80#
    wind walker long bow built by Dave Harper
    Earl Hoyt take down recurve

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • FletchMasterFletchMaster Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot High Country
    Max Xtreme Aluminum
    TSS
    and soon to have
    the perf-X aluminum

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest until youre Good Is Better and Youre Better Is Best!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    . there are a lot of other great bows out there I think whatever bow you feel most comfortable and confident with is the best for you. I have a mathews sq2 and love it no recoil no vobration 290fps and muzzy's are still the best broadhead you can by and they are not that expensive. The new montecs fly well but they are dull as hell and sound like when you shoot feathers,wooooooooosh splat.[xx(]
  • bgrivrsbgrivrs Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am shooting a Bowtech Patriot single cam model at 66lbs with Easton
    ACC/349 shafts, and am getting average of 285fps. This is the fastest
    bow I have ever laid my hands on, and I love it.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    I have a PSE nova from 1999. Ive killed 2 deer with it but cant get a pass through with it. The one deer I shot in the back but got both lungs "I have no idea how i did that". The second I shot this year I choked and gut shot a doe but took out the liver and everything else with my rocket broadheads. Here my problem I stick um and the arrow hangs out by about a foot and it hits every little branch in the woods and cuts stuff to hell on the inside "good thing". Should i get a new bow or stick with this one. Ive been looking at hoyts and like the feel and looks any suggestions

Dead is Dead weather your arrow passes through or not, Only since all the telivision shows has there been such importance placed on pass through. I have harvested many deer without pass throughs. However blood trails are better with a pass through. My opinion is there is no substitute for hitting a deer in the proper place. Practice, Practice Practice, And please stop cutting up the woods with your broadheads thats what chain saws are for. "Just kidding Good luck"