In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

feathers

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
who shots them

I got a guy telling me that if I try them Ill use them [?][?]

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot the synthetic ones that look real? I know people who use them for instinctive shooting and longbow shooting. Not traditional compound material to me...
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot feathers for 20 yrs and still do out of my Reezen. The real reason I shoot them is for aesthetics. I think they look cool. As far as function, years ago guys said they were more "forgiving". There wasn't drop away rests and a lot of time the flexibility of the feather would help stabalize the arrow if it interfered with something when released.

Everyone I hunt with still shoot feathers to this day. (only 3 guys) We all have our own colors that we have shot for years and we make all our own arrows. The reason we still do it is tradition. A properly tuned bow should shoot darts without any fletching at all. In todays modern bows I cant see any advantage to shooting feathers...they just look cool.

From experience I'll tell you feathers have a few cons associated with them. When it rains you have to make sure they dont get wet. If they get wet they will lay down flat and even though my bow is tuned properly, the added weight of the saturated feather will mess with the arrow flight. Also, when traveling its alot easier to mess up feathers. With vanes if they get bent out of shape all you need to do is hit then with a blow dryer and they are good as new again.

All my practice arrows are fletched with vanes, came size and offset as my hunting arrows that sport feathers.

Pick up a half dozen and give em a try, or better yet borrow a couple of you buddies[:D]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot 4" feathers on my hunting arrows. I seem to have a little better control when shooting fixed blade broadheads than I did with vanes. I also shoot 2" feathers on my indoor arrows just to be different. They work great.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i have always shot feathers,course i still use wood arrows,and a longbow...i like traditional[;)]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    My Brother is stuck on feathers and thats cool. they do look good.
    for me Blazers and slick tricks Modern darts if you will.
    and oh yeh they fly like darts.
    hey guys what ever makes you feel more confident when making the shot
    Thats whats really important[;)]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    My Brother is stuck on feathers and thats cool. they do look good.
    for me Blazers and slick tricks Modern darts if you will.
    and oh yeh they fly like darts.
    hey guys what ever makes you feel more confident when making the shot
    Thats whats really important[;)]

Pretty much Bucky. If you know it's gonna hit there than it will.
  • Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    I've shot feathers for 20 yrs and still do out of my Reezen. The real reason I shoot them is for aesthetics. I think they look cool. As far as function, years ago guys said they were more "forgiving". There wasn't drop away rests and a lot of time the flexibility of the feather would help stabalize the arrow if it interfered with something when released.

Everyone I hunt with still shoot feathers to this day. (only 3 guys) We all have our own colors that we have shot for years and we make all our own arrows. The reason we still do it is tradition. A properly tuned bow should shoot darts without any fletching at all. In todays modern bows I cant see any advantage to shooting feathers...they just look cool.

From experience I'll tell you feathers have a few cons associated with them. When it rains you have to make sure they dont get wet. If they get wet they will lay down flat and even though my bow is tuned properly, the added weight of the saturated feather will mess with the arrow flight. Also, when traveling its alot easier to mess up feathers. With vanes if they get bent out of shape all you need to do is hit then with a blow dryer and they are good as new again.

All my practice arrows are fletched with vanes, came size and offset as my hunting arrows that sport feathers.

Pick up a half dozen and give em a try, or better yet borrow a couple of you buddies[:D]

Youcan use waterproofing for your feathers.