In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rage penetration (abuse?)

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok I have an opinion on the Rage 2 blade head now that I have taken a deer with it. They do their job well. I, however, was a little shakey on this one. I misjudged the distance and hit the doe in the spine. It went all the way through the spine, but did not exit. The blades were intact and not bent like I thought they would be. A 2nd arrow to finish off the deer went through 2 ribs, and the shoulder blade with an exit! Again no bent baldes, or damage.

The only bad part of these heads has been mentioned before... You can't change the blades easily. The screw that holds them in gets damaged and you have a hard time to get it out.

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a picture? What type of screws are they and can you replace them?
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is what I could do tonight.
    First how they look for flight
    70db46e6.jpg

And here is deployed
    67ad372e.jpg

Next the offending screw
    9e038527.jpg

Here is where it sits. You can see how the load on the blades will damage the threads...
    0459918e.jpg

Last one that the head of the allen screw stripped out (please ignore the deer chunks still in the head)
    828befe6.jpg
    edited November -1
    Here is a better picture of the stripped out screw.
    a3085540.jpg

I love my new camera... Awesome Macro!
    edited November -1
    The threads on the set screw were really damaged? wow Two common things that strip socket head screws are either cheap screws and worn wrenches. If the threads were damaged then they are using a very cheap screw. What size is it, 8-32?
    edited November -1
    Holy crap thats F-up
    edited November -1
    The screw head is an .050. I was using a new wrench so that shouldn't be a problem... I am sending this all to Rage to see what they have to say. At this point I have 5 heads. One is burried in a tree, 2 are stripped out and stuck together. One is the bad screw that I took a picture of and just one came apart ok.

I like the head, just not the price if they are a one time use.
    edited November -1
    The screw should be 4-40 or 4-48 according to the handbook. I have to say that its a poor design. Too small of a screw for the force that is exerted on it. It would almost be better to have a pin that you could press in an out to replace the screw.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    The screw should be 4-40 or 4-48 according to the handbook. I have to say that its a poor design. Too small of a screw for the force that is exerted on it. It would almost be better to have a pin that you could press in an out to replace the screw.

+1 on pinning it.
  • ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 12 bucks a piece you would think they could use a little better screw. The idea of pinning it would work well, wonder why they didn't just do that. Unless maybe they want you to have to keep buying new 12 dollar heads every time you use them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladams
    The idea of pinning it would work well, wonder why they didn't just do that.

because like a lot of other niche markets, the people designing products are not always someone that can look over a completed design and see the problems. Screws are not designed to have force pushing into the threads. The force of a screw is along the threads, up and down through out the screw. Screws maybe able to be used like the above broadhead, but the screw needs to be larger then a screw with .110 outer diameter. There just isn't enough material there to do any good.
    edited November -1
    Shoff

Maybe you need to be on the design team for a broadhead company...[:D]
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the best of both suggestions, have a pin that is only threaded on one end. That way the area where the blades immpact does not have any threads. You could even thread both ends and leave the middle blank. Might work?

Bode
  • 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I noted the rubber band at the rear of the head. What does it actually do ?

I was thinking of trying them out and looked on eBarf and saw bands for the RAGE heads. They are fairly cheap on eBarf. I wasn't aware that the RAGE used bands until then.
    edited November -1
    The ring holds the blades in place for flight, and then acts as a cushion for the blades to hit against when deployed and cutting. They should be cheap, since you have to replace them after each use and each season. This was what happened with the ones I had.

Here is another Rage success story that may not have happened with another BH... My co-worker told me he shot his buck (small 8 point) in the throat with his Rage. 40 yard blood trail and deer in hand! I would not want to see anyone duplicate that shot, but the head did it's job.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen to many pictures of dead deer using the Rage,plus the one my nephew killed with the 3 blades.I have them in my quiver.[:)]