In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you?

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
I think we have discussed this before but how many of you do food plots? What do you like the best?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you call 2000 acres of crops food plots, then yes. [:D] corn and alfalfa (i can't spell) work the best.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    if you call 2000 acres of crops food plots, then yes. [:D] corn and alfalfa (i can't spell) work the best.

Nope thats farmin'. Pull your bibs up, take that straw outta your mouth, let go of the sheep and tell me about the different blends that work well in the midwest. Although I have thought about the alfalfa, I would like to try a few different types of seeds to see what they like and what times of year they like it. But not sure what to try and when I should plant it. I would also like something with nutritional value, and if I remember correctly corn has no nutritional value for deer, they like it cause its like "a candy" to them. I believe I read that in "Petersons bowhunting". I guess I could do corn then look for feces and see if it is being digested but that would be difficult to find with the population down there I would think.
    Now that I said all that, I'm puttin on the rubber boots, grabbin my velcroe gloves and goin to find that sheep you just turned loose.[:D][;)]

Let me add that I know the deer here up by home will hit corn and bean fields but down where I hunt there isn't much of that they have the acorns in the woods and the other green stuff. I can't think of any crop types fields close to there. I want something proven to attract and hold them at different times of the year. But again, I would like to a few different ones on the same plot to see what they prefer. But what should I try?? I know biologic did come out with a corn/bean mix roundup ready that is supposed to be genetically engineered for palatability. I think this is the first season it will be out though so I have heard no results.

Give me some thoughts.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bio Logic(sp)mossy oak stuff/works good,,,alfalfa type stuff also
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I just plowed my two larger plots 2 or 3 weeks ago, I still need to lime them.
    I like good old fashion corn the best. I also do a variety of soy beans, alfalfa, clover. I always throw in a few packs of pumkin seeds too, the deer really seem to like them for some reason. I never had much luck with biologic, but a buddy of mine sure does, he swears by the stuff.
    I plant mainly what farmers I know give me in seed. A property close to a farm that is raising corn this year, I put out soy bean in my plot. Most farmers I know don't care much about a half bag of seed corn or soy beans they give me. They probably hope it keeps the deer out of their money crop a little more.

If I remember correct, taco plants beer and peanut butter to attract deer. [:I]
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My lease has toyed with plots a little bit. (We're planning our stratagy for when the loggers are done, but waiting until then.) We have mainly used clover and some bio-logic. Our problem in our area, and when I don't think they will help us much, is that we have soooo many acres of farm land around us. In our area, we can put a food plot out but they only have to move 1/4 to 1/2 mile and they are in the middle of a corn or soybean field. I personally think food plots are a waste of time in our area. (Before I get trashed for that, I can see where they would be a HUGE benefit if you are in an area that doesn't have much in the way of farms or other food sources.)
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope no food plots just carrots and sugar beets.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    Nope no food plots just carrots and sugar beets.

I wasn't asking what you eat while in stand.[:D]
    edited November -1
    I wasn't telling ya![:D]
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't found any Landino Clover seed yet, but I havent looked real hard...But I did plant 4 Kieffer Pear trees and 6 apple trees...
    edited November -1
    quote:DIRTYRAT Posted - 03/31/2006 : 4:21:16 PM
    Haven't found any Landino Clover seed yet, but I havent looked real hard...But I did plant 4 Kieffer Pear trees and 6 apple trees...

Find any four leaf? If ya do let me know.