In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

easy one

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a fred bear, bought it, but it never came with a tool to change poundages or draw lengths, do they make tools that are universal or am I stuck at 29" and 70 lbs?

Comments

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poundage is adjusted by either backing out or turning in the limb bolts. As for the length, I think that bear bows have modules which if they didn't come with it you'll have to buy separately and let a bow tech put them on. You need to check how many turns to back out the bolts, otherwise you could back them out to far and then ya have a mess[B)]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    I have a fred bear, bought it, but it never came with a tool to change poundages or draw lengths, do they make tools that are universal or am I stuck at 29" and 70 lbs?

Not trying to be a smart * or anything but all of the bows I've owned, 6, the poundage was changed with a hex or Allen wrench.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

Not trying to be a smart * or anything but all of the bows I've owned, 6, the poundage was changed with a hex or Allen wrench.

Yep, should be just an allen for the limbs/poundage
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how many turns = a lb?
    edited November -1
    how many turns = a lb?

Depends on the make of the bow, I wouldn't back it out over 3 turns.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    how many turns = a lb?

Depends on the make of the bow, I wouldn't back it out over 3 turns.

you mean after he's bottomed it out first, right?
    edited November -1
    Yep, figured he new that much ya buckethead.[:D]
    edited November -1
    I know nothing on changing the weight...I'd like to set it at 65 lb...
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Usually the book for the bow will tell you how much each turn creates. If not, get a scale.[;)] Just make sure that you turn the bolts the same amount.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take some white nil polish or white out and make you a "x" across your bolts to help you line it up for turning it up or down
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know nothing on changing the weight...I'd like to set it at 65 lb...

Try 1 turn on each limb A. Gun. Get a bow scale and hang it in the basement from the floor joists.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Turn counter clockwise? what was the whole x idea? I'm lost lol. I kinda got my bow through ebay so it came without a manual, or anything....if anyone ever owned a bear vapor 300 please help lol
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turn counter clockwise? what was the whole x idea? I'm lost lol. I kinda got my bow through ebay so it came without a manual, or anything....if anyone ever owned a bear vapor 300 please help lol

You need to loosen both screws, as taco said 3 turns max. You need to turn each screw out the same amount. One easy way to tell you did that is with an archery square or a ruler. Pick a spot on the limb pocket that the top and bottom limb pockets have. Take and measure from that spot to the string on both limb pockets. The distance should be the same.