In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow hunters......

longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
Where are you? this ones not used much....So anyway they do not let us use crossbows here,they do in Ohio.Do they let you all wherever your at?

Comments

• 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    In my state of Va. only if you get a statement from Dr. that you are disabled can you use a crossbow. I do not believe the regulations have changed.

flag.gif
  • sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same in Mi. Allows people that can't hunt with a bow due to disability to still partipate. Good law...

God put stupid people on earth just to test me
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Well,as for myself I started on a real cheap compound,shot instintive for years.Eventually got into better bows,sights,releases etc.etc.Often thought the change was a mistake.Thinking about basic shooting some now.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Unfortunatly the Michigan law says you must be 80% disabled.This leaves alot of people out(like me).Michigan Bowhunters Association doesn`t want the law change because they feel too many people will take up the crossbow and ruin their good time.The states solution? After the bow hunters have their 6 week season and they have put down their bows and picked up their rifles and shotguns for the gun deer season,then and only then I can use a crossbow to hunt deer.It`s kind of like taking a knife to a gun fight isn`t it? It`s pretty hard to get withing bow range of a deer during gun season.I haven`t been able to hunt during the bow season for about 25 yrs. and it pi$$es me off.

Our state has plenty of deer .Weve got TB in the herd in some areas and chronic waste is knockng on the door. That will ruin bow hunters good times alot faster than a few extra guys in the woods with a cross bow.Doe permits are sold over the counter in my part of the state.You can buy one permit today ,go back and get another the next day,and the next and the next. I`m starting to rant.....Sorry.
    edited November -1
    Don't blame you for ranting one bit,you make some very valid points.Sorry I haven't gotten back...I had given up on this forum.Anyhow Maine allows us to hunt for a month before firearms,with out a crossbow,matter of fact you better not get caught in the woods with one at all. They have their firearms season and then we get from 3 days to a week of muzzleloading......Sounds likw West Virginia is a bit more like your state ,getting doe permits and all....The deer hunting here in maine ain't great anyhow unless you elect to hunt around houses.The bear,moose and grouse hunting are good,and lord knows there are enough dang coyotes for everyone!
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longhunter
    Well,as for myself I started on a real cheap compound,shot instintive for years.Eventually got into better bows,sights,releases etc.etc.Often thought the change was a mistake.Thinking about basic shooting some now.

Funny you mention your experiences. Mine was exactly the same. I found an old bear 4 wheel compound when I got started-I couldnt miss with the thing. It was funny how slow it was, and how you could see the arrow flight arc at 20 yards. I had one pin, compensated for my shooting distance instinctively(between 0-35 yards)and was damn good with it. Slow and not much power, but enough to bring down 2 deer with it. Then I had to upgrade-Got a single cam, with all the bells and whistles. Took a year of shooting before I felt like my accuracy was as good as the other bow. Had a sight with three pins, wound up taking off two of them and using the one pin for shooting out to 35 yards-still compensate for the change in distance, but not as much as the old bow.
    I do think there is something to be said about all the trinkets. When you add more variables(pins, fancy release, fancey rest,etc) you increase the chances of something going wrong.

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once"
    -David Hume
    edited November -1
    Salzo....must be something to it eh? I look at bows today and just shudder,extremly high tech compared to where I began,and complicated.It seems that simpler is better ,at least for some of us.I do believe thatI personally did much better instinctive,seemed to just judge the distance,no bunches of pins to figure out which one to use etc...and the fact that it would b less expensive won't hurt feelings much either.I believe on a taerget range maybe all that stuff is good?! I don't know,gonna go qwith out for a while and see how I do.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    In Texas,a person who has an upper limb
    disability that make them unable to use a
    conventional bow can use a cross bow during
    bow season(with doctors' statement).Cross bow's
    are legal during gun season for anybody,
    but I figure that unless you can't shoot
    a gun, what's the point?

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A bow's a bow in Ontario. Mind you, my only cross bow is a Medieval copy I use for re-enacting.
    BOBBYWINS, because it's a different style of shooting. You still have to be able to shoot it. Same as using a muzzle loader or lever action. Same thing only different.
    edited November -1
    the same but different??? I am confused....[:D][:D]
  • RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Missouri a cross bow is considered a firearm and can only be used under the rules of gun hunting UNLESSyou have a doctors certification approved by the Department of Conservation stating you are physically unable to properly use a conventional bow. Once approved you are given a waiver and can use the crossbow during bow hunting seasons. Crossbows also qualify under most primitive weapons seasons in the Show-Me-State!
    edited November -1
    At least they let yoou use em somehow...they got no sense of humor bout at all here.