In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Black bear hunters?

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
I need some advice from anyone who bowhunts black bear. I have been bowhunting for about 15 years and have yet to take a bear, but last year I had a close encounter with a 300lb. bear in the mountains. The previous year I had shot at one and shot right over his back by maybe 1/8 of an inch. Anyway, I am thinking behind the front shoulder just like a deer. The bear I saw last year was coming down the ridge I was on to eat freshly dropped white oak acorns. I was in my climber amongst 5 or 6 big white oaks raining acorns in mid October about halfway up a ridge. The bear came down the ridge and I guess he winded me, because at about 40 yards he stopped, stood up and stuck his nose stright up in the air and took off down the side of the ridge like a bat out of hell. I was just wondering the best place to aim for on a bear.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not hunt bear, but I read somewhere that the vital areA on just about all mammals is the same. That being said, on a broadside shot, aim behind the shoulder, 'bout halfway up the body.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    go for the lungs and you will be a happy camper.. been hunting bear for about 17 yrs know. we have killed 25 bears in my town alone up here in Maine.. good luck and keep the blade sharp..

excalibur
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by excalibur
    go for the lungs and you will be a happy camper.. been hunting bear for about 17 yrs know. we have killed 25 bears in my town alone up here in Maine.. good luck and keep the blade sharp..

excalibur

Dayum he is alive!!!!!!!!! I thought married life had took its toll on you[:D]

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Hey Ex. is the honeymoon finally over?[:D] Good to see you again.

I have never hunted bear but watched a show the other day and they said when aiming to take into account roughly 4 inches of hair that hangs below the underside of the animal.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    The onely thing I know about Beers is that they taste good and get ya drunk.[:D][:D][:p]
  • excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, honeymoon is over and time to get things together.