In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hoyt Question

CHAIRMAKERCHAIRMAKER Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
Hello all, this is my first trip to the archery forum, and I have a question for you experts. I do not know much about bows so please bear with me. I have a chance to buy a used Hoyt Supreme and would like to determine what a fair price would be. The label on the lower limb says it is 45-60#, 30" draw, 59" bowstring, 46" aim cables. It is 44" between the axles. The package includes a 4 pin sight, (can't see any brand name) a spring loaded arrow rest, 2 stabilizers (easton x7 26" and easton Gamegetter I 10"), 2 new bowstrings, camo cloth limb covers, bowlegger, glove and armguard, 2 dz. easton alum. arrows w/broadheads and field points. It also has a peep sight and 'whiskers'. The whole mess comes in a San Angelo alum. case. The entire bow in covered with camo tape, but the limb I exposed to find the model name appeared to be in perfect condition. Any ideas what a fair price would be for this bow with all the goodies? Is this a good quality bow? Any way to tell approx. how old this bow may be?Thank you

Comments

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    I dont know... but welcome
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I don't know my Hoyts but there are some here with good knowledge of Hoyt products. You will have your answer soon.

Welcome to the forum!
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supreme is likely the name of the limb, not the name of the bow. So with that said, you need to go determine if that is the name of the bow, which I don't believe it is.

What cams does the bow have on it? That is, if it has cams and not wheels, which may be the case.

All in all, with out actually knowing the bow, but the fact that it has supreme limbs on it, I wouldn't pay more then $100. You can get bows that are three or four years old for a couple of hundred, with better technology. This bow has to be at least 10 years old.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    give us somemore background. are you planning on target hunting, or just knocking around. anyway welcome to the jungle. [;)]
  • CHAIRMAKERCHAIRMAKER Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shoff14,
    The label on the lower limb has the name 'Hoyt' on it, so I assumed this is a Hoyt bow. It is a split-limb, and the wheels appear round, not elliptical(sp). Also, the limbs have stainless steel 'buttons' at the crotch of the split, about 1" dia., looks like they have an allen head screw holding the two halves of the 'buttons' together.

If I understand your reply, this could be a Hoyt bow, but with limbs from another maker? (aftermarket?) Are Supreme limbs not desireable? It does have the rod (don't know what it's called) that attaches to the rear of the riser with the plastic slider that the cables run through, like I have seen on many newer bows. Sorry if this description is difficult to follow, guess I need to remove the camo tape to get more info. Thank you for your input.
    edited November -1
    buckeyboy,
    To give you an idea how long ago I did any bowhunting, I used a Jennings Super T Hunter. I've been thinking about getting a bow for informal target shooting, just playing around.
    edited November -1
    actually hoyt did make a bow Hoyt supreme But it is a purple target bow.[:0]and does not have split limbs[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    actually hoyt did make a bow Hoyt supreme But it is a purple target bow.[:0]and does not have split limbs[;)]

I saw the same thing... but also came across some comments about a hoyt supreme target/hunter.. and a recurve supreme too. I think they made several models with that name from what I have seen.
    edited November -1
    Gagirl is absolutly correct there is a hoyt supreme hunting bow target and recurve . here is a photo of a hoyt defiant supreme, Chairmaker does it look like This
    bd_21.jpg
    edited November -1
    That looks about right, although it has some extras that the one I'm looking at does not have. Is that an overdraw? And, I forgot, the one I'm looking at has a leather strap on the grip (to put around your wrist?) If that is what I have, what's the consensus, good or bad?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CHAIRMAKER
    That looks about right, although it has some extras that the one I'm looking at does not have. Is that an overdraw? And, I forgot, the one I'm looking at has a leather strap on the grip (to put around your wrist?) If that is what I have, what's the consensus, good or bad?
    I personally would not buy it you can get a much newer set up than that for very little money. If they want to give it away then ok other than that. NA pass. I have a reflex grizzly brand new made by hoyt well its a year old but I have only taken about 20 shots. I'll let you have it for $150.00
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    buckey your just a nice guy, you know it?
    edited November -1
    Gagirl is absolutly correct there is a hoyt supreme hunting bow target and recurve . here is a photo of a hoyt defiant supreme, Chairmaker does it look like This
    bd_21.jpg

so is that the Defiant bow with supreme limbs on it? I beleive this is the same bow my father has. Man that is thing loud. [:0][B)]

So they must of had something called a supreme, as you guys say but when the discontinued it they used the limbs from the model and called them the supreme limbs. This is what I meant Chairmaker, they are not aftermarket, even now Hoyt has 4 different types of limbs, each with a different name.

Again, buy buckeye's bow, you will be happier! The cam .5 is much better and smoother then wheels on the Supreme.

With this bow, it seems that it was probably designed for a finger shooter, henche the long ATA compared to todays bows. If you plan on shooting with a release, you need to be like 6'4" in order to shoot something with a 30" draw.
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the informed responses. I knew I could get the answers here. I can get the whole mess for $85.00,
    I don't know.....
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the informed responses. I knew I could get the answers here. I can get the whole mess for $85.00,
    I don't know.....

If its an aluminum case, the case might be worth $85

I see now where a glove and arm guard are included, so if you want to shoot with your fingers go ahead, if you want to shoot with a release, get a different bow cause the draw will likely be to long and you can't change it on those bows with wheels.
    edited November -1
    the bow is an antique its not worth $85 plus like shoff said 30 inch Draw is real long are you like 6'3" the bow is usless if you dont have a 30" draw. for $65 dollars more you would have a 2005 model reflex. thats a no brainer man.the dwaw on the grizzly is adjustable from 27" to 30 " without a bow press/ with slam and 1/2 cams.[:p][;)]
    edited November -1
    Chair ..... I know you are new here.. But I would go with Buckey's offer.
    edited November -1
    Yea Dude what she said[:0][:D]
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    i had an old pse and it was loud too. i would stay away from the 5+ year old bows. i just payed $666.21 last year for just a bow and 6 arrows. i would go with buckey's deal
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DaBowMan18
    i would stay away from the 5+ year old bows. Unless it's a Mathews
    I'd stay away from any bow that had taped up limbs.You don't know if they are split,cracked,[B)]
    Got for Buckeyboy's deal.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the responses.
    Buckeyboy, I'll give your offer some thought.
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the responses.
    Buckeyboy, I'll give your offer some thought.
    I'll take a photo and post if you like .
    edited November -1
    Surekill made a point that I never thought about... with taped up limbs... I would walk away...Buckey is offering a good deal.. BUT if not his there are TONS of used bows out there.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this bow just because of tape. I would draw it and as you draw, listen for any "ticks", "poppings" or strange noises coming from a limb. Have someone else draw the bow as you watch each limb, pulley, cable, and wheel/cam. See if eveything stays in line and where it should. You take a chance on buying anything used but the tape doesn't necessarily make this a deal to walk from in my opinion. Like all others have said, WELCOME to the nut house. PLUS one BIG advantage it has going for it... IT'S A HOYT!!!! SO it's gotta be good!! (You'll see that a few of us like to take jabs and the whole "Hoty-vs.-mathews" thing![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this bow just because of tape. I would draw it and as you draw, listen for any "ticks", "poppings" or strange noises coming from a limb. Have someone else draw the bow as you watch each limb, pulley, cable, and wheel/cam. See if eveything stays in line and where it should. You take a chance on buying anything used but the tape doesn't necessarily make this a deal to walk from in my opinion. Like all others have said, WELCOME to the nut house. PLUS one BIG advantage it has going for it... IT'S A HOYT!!!! SO it's gotta be good!! (You'll see that a few of us like to take jabs and the whole "Hoty-vs.-mathews" thing![:D]
    Don't you some free doghnuts to eat????[:D] The bows 10 years old ding dong I'm offering the guy a brand new hoyt for $65 bucks more . its a no brainer.[8D][;)]
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chairmaker, the toys that come with the bow sounds like it might be worth buying if they're in good condition, even if you get Bucks bow(which is a good deal)then sell the bow for $25 or so to a beginner and keep the case,sight ect. for $50-$55. You'll have to buy most of that stuff anyway. JMO
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Chairmaker, the toys that come with the bow sounds like it might be worth buying if they're in good condition, even if you get Bucks bow(which is a good deal)then sell the bow for $25 or so to a beginner and keep the case,sight ect. for $50-$55. You'll have to buy most of that stuff anyway. JMO
    Hunter mag these folks know me here I'll give him a case some arrows I'll trrow in a whisker biscuit and a sight. hows that.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Hunter mag these folks know me here I'll give him a case some arrows I'll trrow in a whisker biscuit and a sight. hows that.

Buck I'll take it! You didn't mention all that before?[:D]
    edited November -1
    I bought it as a back up bow. before I bought my Switchback xt. Igot a bunch of aluminum arrows as I now shoot carbond
    sights and rests
    [;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Speaking from personal experience: Buckey is more interested in setting people up with nice bows than he is in making money. I think he about gave me the deal of the century on his slightly used Mathews.

Oh, and btw, I'm still shooting the crap out of it, and I'm a deadly SOB! Look out Moses!!!

Ben
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Speaking from personal experience: Buckey is more interested in setting people up with nice bows than he is in making money. I think he about gave me the deal of the century on his slightly used Mathews.

Oh, and btw, I'm still shooting the crap out of it, and I'm a deadly SOB! Look out Moses!!!

Ben
    Glad to hear it's shooting good for ya Just think I killed I think Three deer with tat particular boew thats the coolest thing if you kill some deer with the same bow then you can sell it to Slash and he will have a freekin heart attack.[:D][:D][:D][;)]