In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

tuning a crossbow

campdogcampdog Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have a Barnett crossbow that doesn't shoot at all well. You can see the rear end of the bolt kick out sideways when you shoot and it doesn't group well. It has a cheap rest that is factory installed which is two thick wires that the bolt rests on. These wires can be bent to position the bolt better but try as I might I haven't been able to postion the rests such that the bolt doesn't kick out sideways. I imagine that the crossbow is harder to tune than a compound bow due to the strength of the draw and the shortness of the bolt.

Would appreciate any advice I can get on this... Thanks!

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    wish I could help no nothing about crossbows. try a crossbow site "forum" best of luck
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pic of the bow, with a bolt in place would be helpful.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my cross bow would kick the arrow out like that it was due to not getting the string locked down on center.

Are you using any type of cocking tool? If not you may just be pulling the stirng up off center.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my first crossbow was a barnett... and i hated it would should good one day and bad the next, check your bolts for right weight and spine.. you also have to make sure that you are cocking the string back straight, make a mark on your string with a marker and draw it back and make sure your mark is still in center of the track... definately sounds like a poor design on your rest.... my 10point crossbow is awesome and well worth the money.... and i dont use a cocking device... just my fingers tight to the sides of the forearm and make sure they stay in place on the string...
  • chevynutschevynuts Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been in bowhunting since the 70,s . I had my own shop for over 15 years. I refused to sell these crossbows because they were NOT accurate and were low in power [because of the draw lenth...how far you pull the string back]. I helped design what I consider the most accurate and powerful x bow available. I am getting NO compensation for telling you this. If you purchase an Excaliber xbow you will be absolutely pleased. It is the most accurate xbow and wins the national xbow championships on a consistent basis.He has killeed African big game with his bow. This x bow is accutate even with broadheads up to 50yds partially because of the low pressure trigger pull compared to others. When practacing you do Not want to shoot more than one arrow at the same target or you will damage your first arrow with the next.This is a simple xbow made for hunting by hunters. Carl
  • chevynutschevynuts Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you insist on using this xbow I an give you tips on making it shoot the best it can. Carl
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    campdog,you could always email me at rreeves46@hotmail.com about a very nice Horton compound crossbow that i am willing to part with.