In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Today- Pic. Added

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
Went hunting with a buddy on his ground this a.m. This was the same stand that I passed on the forkie. I told him on the way out that I was shooting anything since I only have 1 LB of burger left. He is in the process of moving and doesn't know when he will be able to get out to hunt. He has to be out of his house by Dec. 1. He said he would also shoot anything that moved. He is hunting a stand about 125 Yrds from the one that I'm in. He is down in the bottom and I'm on the top. Around 8 I hear something behind me. I stand and snap my release on the string. There is a doe 30 yrds. behind me. I have no shot but she is still coming my way. Then all of a sudden, I hear a deer blow about 100 yrds away. I can see her stamp her foot, then blow again. The one that is behind me is just standing there. The one that has been blowing finally takes off and the one behind me follows her. A couple minutes later my buddy gets on the radio and says that he has just drilled a forkie. We figured that the doe that was blowing saw him down the hill stand to get a shot at him. He said that he was coming my way. I saw him come up the hill. He coughed, then took about 10 steps and went down. I had a tree blocking my view so, I crawled down the ladder in time to see him doing his Stevie Wonder impression of swinging his head around.
It ended up being a 5 pointer. The same deer that I passed up last weekend. He shot it at 8:15 and we were done butchering at 3. His 6 year old son helped on the grinding. Hopefully we have him hooked.

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good work. Get that youngster involved. Butchering is not much fun, but it is part of the process.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Good work. Get that youngster involved. Butchering is not much fun, but it is part of the process.

I had fun butchering yesterday. Although taco came over and gave us the low down on it, Enos cooked brauts and burgers on the grill and there is a fresh keg in the kegerator. [:D]
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been sawing legs, heads, and tails off since I can remember...not the greatest part of hunting but still part of it as well. Got a nice scar on my left middle finger to remind me to wear gloves while field dressing, a few years back I didn't wear gloves , cut myself, and never knew until my hand was white as paper and I could barely move my finger...not much fun[:(]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    excellelent story...awsome hunt congrats[;)]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Here is A.J. stuffing the grinder.

[img][/img]1028071305a.jpg
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Question for a new "do it yourselfer". How many times do you run it threw the grinder? It looks like the meat AJ is puttin in has been threw once? Hard to tell for sure but it kinda looks that way. Do you mix anything with it or just straight deer meat?

I'm enjoying the butchering process but I'm new to it and I'm sure have many things/tips/tricks to learn. Thanks for your help!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Question for a new "do it yourselfer". How many times do you run it threw the grinder? It looks like the meat AJ is puttin in has been threw once? Hard to tell for sure but it kinda looks that way. Do you mix anything with it or just straight deer meat?

I'm enjoying the butchering process but I'm new to it and I'm sure have many things/tips/tricks to learn. Thanks for your help!

We run it thru twice. Once is enough but it doesn't take too much time to run it thru again. The thing it helps the most on is getting the sinew.
    We use straight deer meat. I did see in F&S that they suggested using bacon to mix with it. I think that it would give it good flavor but the reason I just use straight deer is the lack of fat.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now ya did it Chief, I'm starving!!!

Great picture!!!!!
    edited November -1
    Another tip on grinding. I use a food safe silicon spray. I spray it on the plate, knife, and the body of the grinder. It is the red can in the picture.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the same grinder you have in the picture. Works GREAT!

I add some beef fat to my burger for some stick when making burgers and it seems to make it fry up easier. I don't have an exact ratio. Done by eye, but it has been perfect for 8 years of doing it. Prior to that I had the local shop grind it and mix in the beef fat for me.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Bang, I will add to what has already been said. It really is personal preference. I like to mix a little of the cheap hamburger in with mine. I will grind the meat, then run it through the grinder again with the hamburger to get a good mix. I do save about 5-10 pounds per deer that I do not add any fat to. I use this to make chili and jerky with. The stuff that I use to make sausage or snack sticks with has to have some fat or it will not bind right and be very dry.