In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crossbow from Break Free?

student1946student1946 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
I bought a book on crossbows some years ag which showed a picture of a crossbow powered by surgical tubing like a spear gun with a short string and sights.It used full length arrows and appeared to be only about 8 or 10 inches wide.They claimed more power for the draw weight due to the long arrow and long power stroke and ease of use in tight cover.Never saw it for sale;wondered what experienced crossbow hunters thought of the idea.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I'm not an experienced crossbow hunter, I only hunt with a guy that is however I would say with todays technology the idea is outdated. Course this is just my opinion.. [;)]

http://www.bowtecharchery.com/blog/2007/06/20/birth-of-new-stryker-delivers-big-bang-for-the-buck/
  • student1946student1946 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it would be pretty hard to beat some of the modern bow tech with surgical tubing.I thought it might be a useful idea because it was so narrow.Could use springs or air pistons on the sides,I guess,but then you're getting pretty far from the original crossbow concept.Oh well,I imagine there are many ideas like that which never work out.The same book which had that tubing powered model had a conventional non-compound cross bow which had a geared rack down the center of the stock.You cocked the string with the bow almost off tension and then cranked the string back with the rack to the tension desired.You could make a pretty powerful crossbow that way and still have it usable by the average person.Another interesting idea I never saw for sale.
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have lots of ideas. All the stuff out there today started as just that, an experiment/concept/idea someone had. Who knows, you could be the head of the next big company...
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Sounds like you have lots of ideas. All the stuff out there today started as just that, an experiment/concept/idea someone had. Who knows, you could be the head of the next big company...
    Or just stay in school and keep smoking dope![:D][:0][:D][:D]
  • student1946student1946 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sad truth is they weren't even my ideas and I saw them when I was sober.Now, my idea for a propane-powered spear thrower,that one was the product of alcoholic delusion.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by student1946
    The sad truth is they weren't even my ideas and I saw them when I was sober.Now, my idea for a propane-powered spear thrower,that one was the product of alcoholic delusion.

[:D]

I like the way this guy thinks!

Ben
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by student1946

ROFLMAO.gif
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bang wasn't the inventor of velcro gloves but he sends the guy a christmas card and bday card every year.[:D]
  • tnt30tnt30 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have on of the cross bows made by break free i need to find a string for it would any one know where i can find that
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a google search after the smoke clears.
  • bilwitbilwit Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd stick with today's technology.