In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Arrow

MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
What is the best arrow brand?

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Martes
    What is the best arrow brand?
    [;)]I shoot gametracker carbon express and have been very happy with them. they are very durable arrow and strightness to.001 to.003 There are many good arrows out there. More importantly find an arrow that matches your bow spine stiffness in the newer bow seems to be critical in my opinion. I would go to the archery shop in your area and try several and see what works for you. Everyone shoots different and this will have a bearing on what arrow you finally decide to purchace. hope this was helpful. Buckeyboy
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot Gold Tip XT22's they shoot great. They come in either black or camo. If you do any target shooting I would reccomend their X-Cutter line these arrows are fat .30" dia. I used to shoot carbon express arrows but I had some bad experiences that I am sure is not inherent throughout their line of arrows. My inserts kept pulling out and it didn't matter what I did they just kept on coming out. So one day at the archery range after having all my arrows redone at another shop 3 of my carbon express arrows lost there inserts so I got kinda mad and bought a dozen gold tips right then and there.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    I shoot Gold Tip XT22's they shoot great. They come in either black or camo. If you do any target shooting I would reccomend their X-Cutter line these arrows are fat .30" dia. I used to shoot carbon express arrows but I had some bad experiences that I am sure is not inherent throughout their line of arrows. My inserts kept pulling out and it didn't matter what I did they just kept on coming out. So one day at the archery range after having all my arrows redone at another shop 3 of my carbon express arrows lost there inserts so I got kinda mad and bought a dozen gold tips right then and there.
    [?]Goglen what kind of epoxy were they glueing the inserts in with? also how much per dozen are the gold tips? I had some trouble with inserts also then switched to a two part epoxy you let dry overnight and that put and end to them pulling out. I'm like you when somthings not working I get compulsive and buy somthing else right away kina makes ya feel better.
    edited November -1
    I had the shop put in my inserts they used a 2 part epoxy and even roughed up the inside of the shaft and they still kept on pulling outit was enough to get me to to switch brands I have not had a single problem with my gold tips except I keep on tubing them [:D]. The 22's I bought ran about 100 bucks a dozen and I absolutely love 'em. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting with them I would suggest getting the aluminum nock inserts it cut down on the amount of robinhoods but saves you money in the long run.
    edited November -1
    I had the shop put in my inserts they used a 2 part epoxy and even roughed up the inside of the shaft and they still kept on pulling outit was enough to get me to to switch brands I have not had a single problem with my gold tips except I keep on tubing them [:D]. The 22's I bought ran about 100 bucks a dozen and I absolutely love 'em. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting with them I would suggest getting the aluminum nock inserts it cut down on the amount of robinhoods but saves you money in the long run.
    Goglen are the fatter diameter than the carbon express? The price is not bad at all. what do you think of martes sight? I'M not crazy about it.
    edited November -1
    Well I had the carbon express cx hunters and they had an o.d. of .292" The gold tip 22's I am shooting now have an o.d. of .338, so yes I did step up in arrow diameter a little bit, although carbon express has a cxl hunter with an o.d. of .35938 the gold tip x cutter is still larger with an o.d. of .382. I think I will be sticking with the gold tip arrows they have been shooting really well for me and after the problems I had with the carbon express arrows I don't think I would go back to them. I am not crazy about his sight either I am a pin and peep sight shooter. I have been really happy with my exterme sight I especially like the scope lense that I put in there. What kind of sight set up are you partial to?
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Wow! I have to admit that you guys are way above me in bow hunting. You actually know the diamter of your arrows. The last dozen arrows I bought were aluminum Easton Gamegetters or something like that, realtree camo with plastic 5 inch fletchings. This is way to technical for me, I just wanta shoot deer.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'm with ya, susp. Eastons have always done the trick for me.

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
    edited November -1
    Guys,
    There is nothing wrong with aluminum arrows however you have to realize that every time you shoot one and when it hits a target and you go and pull it out it will tweak a little, you do this 100 or so times and your arrow is tweaked a lot. I shoot way too much to have to replace my arrows that often hence the going to carbon thing. Trust me on this if/when you guys ever start shooting on leagues you will know where the extra money for equipment went. The larger diameter helps cut the line thus giving you a higher score in 3d and target shoots, so it helps to know these things.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    interesting I shoot gamegetter 2s by easton in 2216

And on the 3rd day god created the Remington bolt action rifle to protect the god fearing men from the evil muslims
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Wow! I have to admit that you guys are way above me in bow hunting. You actually know the diamter of your arrows. The last dozen arrows I bought were aluminum Easton Gamegetters or something like that, realtree camo with plastic 5 inch fletchings. This is way to technical for me, I just wanta shoot deer.

[8D]Have to agree with Goglen on this one 'although I hate to admit it" Carbon arrows will #1 allow you to bridge the gaps between 20 and 30 yard pins with not having to judge where to hold your sight pin you can pretty much hold it dead on. plus carbon arrows don't bend unless you shatter it or split it they remain true to strightness I have actually saved money since switching to carbon you get more speed out of your bow, you don't have to bracket nearly as much when you shoot.And they dont bend. sounds a lot more tech than it really is. I do know it works for me. pick up one carbon arrow cut it to lenth install insert and nock. From the same spot shoot your easton which I too used for years. Then shoot The carbon let me Know the results think you will be suprised.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still shoot my Easton XX78 super slams in 2219 with 4" feathers. Haven't failed me yet so guess i'll stick with em.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
    edited November -1
    Well I had the carbon express cx hunters and they had an o.d. of .292" The gold tip 22's I am shooting now have an o.d. of .338, so yes I did step up in arrow diameter a little bit, although carbon express has a cxl hunter with an o.d. of .35938 the gold tip x cutter is still larger with an o.d. of .382. I think I will be sticking with the gold tip arrows they have been shooting really well for me and after the problems I had with the carbon express arrows I don't think I would go back to them. I am not crazy about his sight either I am a pin and peep sight shooter. I have been really happy with my exterme sight I especially like the scope lense that I put in there. What kind of sight set up are you partial to? I use a sight by impact archey. super brite in low light has 3pins with 3 ft of fiber optic cable wrapped. works real well. I don't want to give the other guys the impression that buying certain equipment will make you a better hunter. I simply use what I found works best for me. As far as Im concerned there is no substitute for time spent in the woods. I learn somthing new every time out.
    edited November -1
    I'm not disagreeing with anyone, I'm sure the carbon arrows your talking about would perform better for me. I'm just not into it, I kill deer fine now and until something fails me, other than my own self[:D] I'm gonna stick with what I got. I definately ain't got nothing fancy either.
    My fiancee actually told me last weekend I should buy a new bow because all my friends have bows that look neat and mine looks bad. The discussion ended when I brought up my dear old superslam she ran over.[:(!][;)]
    edited November -1
    LOL you should have her break more of your stuff you could get a new bow every year in theory.
    edited November -1
    She does a fair job messing up my hunting stuff for me.
    Let's see...she used all my no scent dryer sheets, she wondered why those ones were in a vacumm sealed bag.
    She opened two scent blocker bags in the garage to see what was inside, once she saw it was my camo's she left the bags open right next to my chain saw....
    She threw away my application for Colorado a couple years ago cause she thought is was junk mail and it was to late to get a new one before the dealine....
    Oh I could go on and on.[:(][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    She does a fair job messing up my hunting stuff for me.
    Let's see...she used all my no scent dryer sheets, she wondered why those ones were in a vacumm sealed bag.
    She opened two scent blocker bags in the garage to see what was inside, once she saw it was my camo's she left the bags open right next to my chain saw....
    She threw away my application for Colorado a couple years ago cause she thought is was junk mail and it was to late to get a new one before the dealine....
    Oh I could go on and on.[:(][:D]
    [8D]I had an old Darton Impulse felt like it weighed 25 lbs Easton 2512 telephone poles I woulden't part with it.I had killed a lot of deer with that bow I used it till a limb blew so I know where your comming from. If it works for you and your happy. dont fix it if it aint broke. It's kinda a side hobby of mine I like checking out new stuff to see how it works. Please don't think in any way I am suggesting you guys need new equipment. Suspention judging by your pictures I woulden't change either. I would however keep my hunting stuff under lock and key when your wife is home.[:D]
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, guys I actually have goldtip xt 7595 and Easton xx75 gamegetter 2 and wasn't asking for advice just wanting to a discussion going, but thanks anyway. About the sight, no I'm not all too happy with it myself propably getting a 3 pin model instead. Funny thing is that the bow has a peep sight even though it's a pin alignment sight!!
    edited November -1
    speaking of pictures, I want to see more. I stopped posting more of mine cause I felt I was taking advantage MAKING you guys look at them. [8D]
    If I locked stuff up she'd probably break the lock. [;)]

How about if we have a contest this year for bow season. If I shoot a deer that measures 16" or more inside then you guys send me money. Sound good?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    And if I shoot a fawn, that measures at least 4inches between the ears, you send me money? Deal?

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    And if I shoot a fawn, that measures at least 4inches between the ears, you send me money? Deal?

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com

No way man! this is my deal here[:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Hey Martes, what type of game do you bow hunt in Finland? Is that where the red stage deer are located?
    edited November -1
    Well we've got just about everything; we're one of the only European countries with white tail deer, but very strict laws on bow hunting. The biggest animal you get to shoot in Finland is a roe deer. Normal game is small mammals; red foxes, hares, badgers and such, birds; pheasants, Capercaillies, black grouse and other such and the most resent additions; roe deer and beavers[:)]( 2001 I think). Rifle game we have more or less the same as Canada; 6 species of deers, brown bears(only with special permit), wolves(only with special permit), wild boars(few), all kind of smaller mammels and lots of birds. And yes we have red deer "Cervus Elaphus"
    edited November -1
    You definately have a wide variety of game. Bow hunting laws are pretty tough huh. Is that because they are just reintroducing some of the game so there are limited tags or is that just hunting laws of Finland?
    Have you ever tangled with a badger? My dad saw one in Canada, but wasn't close to it.

Is Finland laid out similar to Canada, as in the wilderness and mountains? I watch the travel channel all the time, but I don't believe I have ever seen anything on Finland.
    edited November -1
    Well the wilderness is similar with pine and fir tree forests, but we're kind of lacking with mountains. The last ice-age scraped all higher mountains when it receded so it's "hilly" at parts but no real mountains. Never killed a badger, seen many, their quite common here. When I was driving home yesterday I saw three whitetail deers grazing at a field next to the road, really made me want to stop the car right there and then. I also do wildlife photography so I can post pictures later this season. About the bow hunting in Finland; there is no reason why the limit the hunting except the misconception that arrows don't kill as effectively as bullets[:(!]. With rifles one can shoot a lot of game every year. The problem is that bow hunting's so small in Finland and there are so many gun hunters who don't want the competition of bow hunters. I believe we have one of the biggest hunting populations in the world. Look up Finland on a map and look at the size of the country; most of it's forest, there is less than 6 million people living here![:0]. So there's a lot of hunting space[:D]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
    That misconception of arrows not killing animals humanely or as effective as bullets is everywhere. I've been turned down on hunting privalidges because the owner didn't like bow hunting.

I'll have to look up Finland on the net and see what all I can find. Can't wait to see some of your wildlife photos...
    later