In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    My fish. 2lb. 8 oz. White Crappie.

MVC-573F.jpg

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Wow, that's one big crappie. Did ya throw it back or have it mounted?
    Never heard of a white crappie, just called them crappie around here. Is that more a midwest species?
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    White Crappies and Black Crappies.Taste all about the same.

Hey I want to know where you Guys are catching these fish.[:p]

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    Had to do this.[:)]

staterecord_Big_Catfish.jpg

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    That is a Big Crappie Ben.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jesus! That's a big fish! That "thing" could eat my dogs.
    edited November -1
    Isn't that picture fake s.gun? I thought I remember it being passed around in the general forum as a hoax..

All the big flatheads we had came from Will's creek, it's the spillway of Salt Fork lake. The stringer of channels came from a sand & gravel pond. The gar and other smaller flatheads came from the Tuscarawas River, all in Ohio.
    we fish the Ohio and the Miskingum some, but our best luck is at Will's creek in a secret spot. [^]
    edited November -1
    Yes a Hoax I believe also.Just saved it from a Gunbroker Post a while back.

That part of Ohio where you caught those Big Cats is very good but, I haven't yet done well there myself.Saw many Pic,s of big cats and skulls nailed to the trees and Bait Houses.Seen a few that you could set a Footbal inside their mouth.

I,ve been to Salt Fork,Clendenning,Leesville,Atwood,Tappan,and the Muskhingham River where we used Trot Lines but never caught any Big Cat's like you have.

Usually we called those Flatheads;Shovelheads.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    Yeah it's a pretty good area if the times right. The largest we have got was 57# I believe. We ran into a couple old fellows one night that needed a hand getting theirs in the boat. Once we got to the bank they pulled out their scales and the one they had was darn near 70#. Kinda tough to lug into a 14 foot jon boat [:D]
    We never have much luck at the lakes, once in a while Atwood Lake is pretty decent for cats.
    We call them shovelheads or flatheads.

One thing we found is that in order to catch catfish at night your required to have either Bush Light or Old Milwaukee on hand. [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Never heard of a white crappie, just called them crappie around here. Is that more a midwest species?

I threw it back w/in 5 minutes. She briskly swam away. I would have mounted her, but I didn't want to spend the moolah. Next time I will. There's more where she came from. This lake is beginning to produce some huge crappie. I have multiple fish condomeniums and vacation resorts built for them. We placed approximately 50 Christmas trees, 10 toilets, 3 bath tubs, 3 sinks, and a couple of urinals last year alone[:D]. The only downside is, the bass clubs really hit our area hard.
    Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by s.gun
    Had to do this.[:)]Wholy crap that thing as big as the last deer I shot[;)]

staterecord_Big_Catfish.jpg

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension

I threw it back w/in 5 minutes. She briskly swam away. I would have mounted her, but I didn't want to spend the moolah. Next time I will. There's more where she came from. This lake is beginning to produce some huge crappie. I have multiple fish condomeniums and vacation resorts built for them. We placed approximately 50 Christmas trees, 10 toilets, 3 bath tubs, 3 sinks, and a couple of urinals last year alone[:D]. The only downside is, the bass clubs really hit our area hard.
    Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com

toilets, bath tubs & sinks? Never heard of doing that. We always just threw christmas trees and hollow logs in. Looks like whatever you guys are doing is working good. I take it you live right near the lake huh? That must be great.
    edited November -1
    My grandparents and my Aunt and Uncle live on about a 20 Acre penninsula on a small lake. One side of the penn is shallow the other side is a 27 foot channel. Every winter we put in brush/toilet piles all around the penn at every depth. This year the bass club piled a bunch of x-mas trees on the public beach and then did nothing with them. So, we stole 'em. I like to use porcelein because it's forever, and there are not many places to cut your line(and I know a guy who owns a plumbing business). The x-mas trees seldom make it through one season, though. We did sink two 20 foot cedars 4 years ago that still produce nicely. It's nice having piles at every level, it makes it easy to locate fish without having to leave the shore. Also, placement is everything. You gotta get it in front of their nose and keep it there on slow days.

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The big channel cat came from lake Texoma. It weighed 141 pounds.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beagle
    The big channel cat came from lake Texoma. It weighed 141 pounds.

Welcome aboard beagle! We don't have many folks around here so it's good to see someone new.
    Hate to bust your chops on the fish, but I believe it is a hoax.
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/catfish.asp

Are you a beagler? Bow hunter? You gonna stick around for a while?
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree on the hoax, world record flathead wasn't even that big. Like 123 lbs from a resevoir in Kansas.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!