In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Clover/Food plot??

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone use clover as a food-plot here? I'm leaning to trying one as it should produce for a few years rather than using an annual mix...Just wondered if anyone has used it and what the results were/are?? Saw a clover seed blend of a few different types at the store and noticed the price is up there a bit more...Dont know too much about plots as this will be my first large one for me..1/4 acre. Any input and/or advice would be GREATLY appreciated...Thanks..

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    No. But there is a 5 acre pasture in front of my buddies place down in S.Illinois that the neighbor bales for his cows. He took, with permission of course, and sewed in on top of the grass some clover. it has grown well and we have noticed a significant increase in deer out there in the evenings.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    They do love good clover. Not as much as winter wheat but they do like it.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've planted clover off and on for about 8 yrs now. I did little experiment a few years back. I bought 3 different kinds of clover (red,white and ladino) and planted them in seperate plots alongside one another. I also planted birdsfoot trefoil and a small plot of biologic seed blend. The biologic was by far the best attractant but I found that you really need a large plot to have it make a difference. My plot was about 30yrds wide and 50yrds long. They ate it up so quick it never really had a chance to grow. Its also expensive and a pain to plant. The clover you can just throw down in an area with high sun early in the season and it will grow. I plant it on field edges and around ponds. Dont buy a clover blend. They wont even touch the red clover and the white is just ok. I plant straight LADINO clover that I get at agway in 50lb bags pretty cheap. The larger the plot the longer it will come back. I have one larger plot that I planted alongside a pond 8yrs ago and it still comes back every year on its own.

If your really gonna put alot of effort in and want to do a food plot plant a blend that you mix on your own. Maybe some ladino, some birdsfoot and some chicory. Clover alone wont draw them in like a mix will. You'd probably be better off sitting under some good mast bearing white oaks.

Hope this helps and good luck in your efforts[:)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    They do love good clover. Not as much as winter wheat but they do like it.

Agree, winter wheat killed our season one year. they were always out in the field 200+ yrds out and not in the woods.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Thank you all for the info...MrGun22 has narrowed it down to the Ladino. The homework and results answered a few of my qestions on types..I have just finished putting in another pond and plan on seeding it all the way around with clover. I did take the dozer on a journey{to say the least} through the woods and opened up an area for a plot. 1/4 acre? and that is primarily where I want to put/plant a high quality forage/attractant type plot. I have alot of learning and research to do before I really get going here and I need a 1 or 2 bottom plow or 3pt tiller for my little Ford 2000... Thanks again...