In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

releases...to be or not to be?

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
ok, I am a gunbroker vet....but I'm a younger guy. I hunt with my grandfather and uncle. I have always hunted with a crossbow but this season I have been using my grandfathers' old "bantam" and it seems to be working out. Only problem is my fingers are taking a beating...he bought me a leather slip pad to go over my shooting fingers but I hear that releases are very deadly accurate...anyone have any input? I'd like to know the pros/cons if anyone has any info.

Thanks,
A.Gun[8D]

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently changed from fingers to a release with my new bow purchase. Personally I think everyone should first learn to shoot with fingers. I think that if you shot with fingers you will become more accurate with a release. You must be very smooth with fingers to be accurate, this smoothness can translate to releases.

The one thing that you have already learned being a finger shooter is that your fingers get torn up if you shot a lot, this is normal. LOL It sounds like you are using a tab, have you tried using a shooting glove? I hated gloves cause I could not get a good feel for the string. However, my father uses a glove so shooting does not tear up his fingers.

That being said, I love shooting with a release. I am shooting with a Tru ball 3D release. It is a hand type release. I did not like releases that strap to my wrist. Knowing the fact that you are shooting with fingers, almost any release will work for you. You can always go out and buy a cheap $15 dollar one at wally world, nock it right underneath your arrow and shot some. See how you like it, then go find a good release.

And welcome to bow shooting.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get 1 you will like it very much,and it will increase your shooting alot.Arrow will come off the string much better or true.

GET~R~DONE!
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I most likely will buy a cheaper one to try it out. Thanks a ton!
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is also a 2 piecce set of round rubber finger tabs that fit over your string. I used to use them and they work nice....Cant remember what they are called. Way better than a glove to me!

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    Thanks guys, I most likely will buy a cheaper one to try it out. Thanks a ton!

A cheap one?? Dont bother.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    . I did not like releases that strap to my wrist.

I used to shoot with a handheld, switched to a wrist strap, prefer it.

I find with a wrist strap, as opposed to a handheld, the error factor is much less, because with the strap, you hand is not involved in the equation, except your finger when you touch the trigger.
    When using a strap, you dont hold it, you "pull" it, keeping your hand and wrist completely relaxed, so that all that is required of your hand, is moving a finger.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two rubber peices that fit on the bow string are called "no-glove" you might have to look around for them as every shop does not carry them. The problem with them is that they cause the srings to roll off the fingers at the release more than with a glove or tab. I use the "no-glove" on my bowfishing bows as it is perfect for that purpose but would not use on to hunt big game with. Also you will need to take the string off the bow for instalation, if that will be a problem for you.

My suggestion is to try a release and see if you like it. A lot of pro-shops will let you try a release on the range to choose the one you like.

0311 semper fi
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a "Cobra" brand release. It's not very expensive and has always worked well for me. I personally like the ones with the wrist strap. I like it because it is easier to keep track of and doesn't fall out of the tree or anything when I am hunting because it's attached to me. A release will generally allow for more consistant launching of your arrow. With fingers, it is easier for you to make errors that will result in wild arrow flight. The release helps to reduce those problems.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot for years by finger release, but as mechanical releases became so popular I caved in. Two problems I had with using a mechanical release was the fact that I lost one during a walk to my stand. I was able to shoot a couple stumps after sunup and determine my aim back to fingers, but it did ruin my morning. Then the second time I dropped my release out of my tree stand and had to climb down to pick it up a time or two, so I decided to go back to fingers and did for a year or two. Eventually I ended up with a perfect match for me. I use a Winn Free Flight release with a relax trigger. Fits almost like a glove without fingers. I can use my hand for other stuff like climbing my tree or carrying gear with the release mounted on my hand. It is always at the ready. And the relax trigger was a comfortable transition for me from finger release to mechanical. I have had it for years now, without a problem. Back when I got it you had to ask the manufacture to convert one to a relax trigger, but I believe this company makes a relax trigger model now. It is sized to your hand, so I also ordered an extra oversized wrist/glove when I bought it and swap the unit over to the larger size if I know I am going to be wearing heavy winter gloves on a hunt. Which is not very often in Texas. This was an expensive release back when I bought it and probably still is.