In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Red and Blue lights for tracking???

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone used or seen these lights in use? Ive seen them popping up in different stores around here and wonder if they are worth buying. In case you haven't heard about these, the concept is that a combo of red and blue LED lights make teh blood stand out more so it's more easily seen at night while tracking. Ive seen them at wal-mart for $15 while other cataloges have them over $50!!

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can buy maglights with a red and blue shield. Haven't ever tried it for tracking. It doesn't have to be an LED light.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    yes heard of it no never used it
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need the red and blue together. Just blue works great. Makes the blood glow. The red works well for not spooking game. Green does as well. Blue does all of the above. I had a green stylus for a while, until I lost it. Now I carry a blue stylus light.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    You don't need the red and blue together. Just blue works great. Makes the blood glow. The red works well for not spooking game. Green does as well. Blue does all of the above. I had a green stylus for a while, until I lost it. Now I carry a blue stylus light.
    Dont track after dark if there is not a real good trail you are most likely pushing the animal will wait till morning. unless rain is on the way... I have had better results this way[;)]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think in Illinois they are considered a tracking device and therefore they are illegal.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    I think in Illinois they are considered a tracking device and therefore they are illegal.
    Your brain should be illeagl. tracking device. hey man just use me when I get itchy your close[:D][:D]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Has anyone used or seen these lights in use?

I've heard and seen them before. It usually sucks.

Ben
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bucky
    The only time I used the blue light for tracking was durring rifle season. They don't go far after being hit with the 30 cal.
    I do agree if there is any doubt to let the animal sit. It did cost my brother a deer once about 12 years ago. He decided to wait on a late hit. In the morning he followed the blood trail right up to a momma bear with 4 cubs at the dinner table. He didn't stick around long after that.