In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Climber Height

mschexnamschexna Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
Morning

I am new to the Gun Broker forums and this is my first post in the bow hunting section....but I have a question concerning height of a climber stand.

This will be my first year to bow hunt....and I have decieded to hunt out of a climber, I am trying to get an idea of how high you take them....10, 15, 20, 25ft.....what a good height for bow hunting.

Thanks in Advance
Mike

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There really isn't any really true answer. I always try to hunt high enough that I am shooting well above ground brush. I also hunt fence rows so I need to have a clear shooting lane out into the field that I am hunting. I have had stands 15 feet all the way up to 30. The 30 foot one was because of the tree being shaped oddly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me also ask this question.....

How much does the height effect the arrow.....

Example....say I am 20ft off the ground....will my arrow fly true like it would if I was on the ground shooting at targets or will it shoot an inch or two higher or lower at that height.....

Mike
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have noticed I shoot a little higher out of a tree then on the ground, I climb up on the neighbors dog box for prac though haha
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    My preference for height is around the 20' area give or take some.

On the arrow flight, if you have a way to do it, sight your bow from the stand or similar position.

Welcome to the archery side of the forum.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome here!
    Get a ladder out and set your climber at a certain heighth in your back-yard.Practice from your climber at a certain heights{15'-20'example} at different ranges from the base of your tree{10,20,30,40 yards?} and dial in your pins. When you get ready to set-up in the woods, mark the yards in your shooting lanes from the base of your tree with sticks or something and try to get up to your heighth that you practiced from with your climber and you should be set!?!
    ...Works for me!...you could always buy a range-finder too!
    I think practicing from your climber is a smart thing anyhow.Practice sitting and standing,left and right shots also. You have to get used to the wind etc.. and concentrating on your pins without loosing your balance...wear a harness too!
    Good-Luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info guys....hope to be able to share some pics in the near furture......

Bow Season starts the 29th here in TX....[:D]

Mike
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sit anywhere from 12-60 feet depending on the tree and what I can see. The 60' is only a gun stand, but the view is awesome! My rule of thumb is to go as high as you can and maintain good visibility. Most times I find that in the 18-25' range.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Good luck to ya! Hope you do have pics to share, I love seeing pics.

[:0] 29th! man, I gotta wait til Oct.1, but thats only 10 days away. [:D]
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I am pretty much in the 16' - 23' range with my bow stands.

One thing to add about using a rangefinder. If it doesn't have angle compensation, the range that it gives you and the true range may not be the same. It won't affect you much if you are using a fast bow, but if your bow is a little slower (i.e. you have different 20, 30, and 40 yard pins) then it may. If you are 20 feet up and your rangefinder says it is 32 yards to the target, the true distance is really around 23 yards. This may cause you to aim higher than you should. If you are using a pendulum sight, it takes that into account, so disregard the above.
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunt as high as your surroundings allow you and your comfort level. The largest buck I've ever stuck was from ~12ft up...because thats all I could go up. He never saw me. I personally do not see any need to go up past 25' and usually hover around 20ft or so.

Rule #1 however is...wear a safety harness...especially climbing...since you are new to the experience. Don't let the first hunt be the last.

Safe Hunting...
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can go back to algebra to figure out the actual ranges when shooting from a stand, A^2+b^2=c^2.
    For example if your stand is 21 feet up thats 7 yards, and lest say you want to shoot 30 yards the equation would let you know that you would be shooting an actual distance of 30.81 yards..... as you can see the distance is minimal.
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to add that when shooting down hill you will tend to shoot a little bit high.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I prefer to hunt above 20 and often go 30. I settle in where the best shooting lanes are and if that's 10 feet that's where I hunt. However if you haven't practices at those heights (20 feet +) go lower. The higher you go the more your actual shooting distance changes as others have told you. Besides that the angle into the deer vitals change and missing them is much easier the higher you are. A climbing stand, when I finally got one, took my bow hunting to a new level with the added versitility. Enjoy your season. I climb with my harness, no fancy climbing system, I just wrap my strap around the tree after I get in the stand, hook my harness to it and climb, moving the strap up as I go. Is it a little slower yes but not that much. I have kids to raise, that's a lot harder to do paralyzed and impossible to do dead.

Scout
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Try not to go too high with a bow your angle of penetration into the deer will be affected meaning the higher that u go the chances of getting both lungs diminises