In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

treestand

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lookin for any info you guys got into any of these newer climbers. Someone stole my climber this past season. I'm looking for light and sturdy. I like to be spacious once I'm up the tree too. Any input?

Comments

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is a good ladder stand, that DOESN'T have rails??[:D]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    Lookin for any info you guys got into any of these newer climbers. Someone stole my climber this past season. I'm looking for light and sturdy. I like to be spacious once I'm up the tree too. Any input?

Go Muddy, get a loc on, more options with trees, comfortable, big platform, light as a climber fast set up. the sticks are fast to put on also. Havent used my climber since I bought mine.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard good things about the Summit climbers but have never actually used one before. I climbed with a loggy bayou for about 15 yrs before getting my Lone Wolf 2 yrs ago. I love it. Its absolutely 100% silent and light as a feather. The only drawback is that it eats up the tree a little bit where my loggy left no marks. Muddy makes real nice stands but your mobility and stealth is not the same as with a climber. Every bow hunter needs a climber in his arsenal[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    I've heard good things about the Summit climbers but have never actually used one before. I climbed with a loggy bayou for about 15 yrs before getting my Lone Wolf 2 yrs ago. I love it. Its absolutely 100% silent and light as a feather. The only drawback is that it eats up the tree a little bit where my loggy left no marks. Muddy makes real nice stands but your mobility and stealth is not the same as with a climber. Every bow hunter needs a climber in his arsenal[:D]

I have a summit climber, havent used it since I bought my Muddy. Mobility is better, more tree options. And since you dont have to have a perfect tree you'll be able to pick a tree with cover. I can be 20 ft up a tree faster than I can with my climber. Trust me, I didnt believe it either til I tried it. If I can get the time I'll video it and post it.

Muddy is no longer our sponsor so I'm not pluggin' them either. I truly love my Muddy
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Ilike my equalizer, have summit loggy lone wolf equalizer puts them to shame[;)] but everone has their person preference
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

I have a summit climber, havent used it since I bought my Muddy. Mobility is better, more tree options. And since you dont have to have a perfect tree you'll be able to pick a tree with cover. I can be 20 ft up a tree faster than I can with my climber. Trust me, I didnt believe it either til I tried it. If I can get the time I'll video it and post it.

Muddy is no longer our sponsor so I'm not pluggin' them either. I truly love my Muddy

Rich is right about being able to locate a portable a lot easier. You can be EXACTLY where you need to be instead of as close as you can get to where you need to be because of lack of a climbable tree. Super important with a bow. You can also get in a tree with good cover. I hang plenty of portables before the season, but once there hung they usually stay put. Rich, do you actually set your Muddy up in the morning? Before the hunt? Id be too afraid of making too much noise.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a Summit guy. One word... Comfort! They are not the lightest stand out there, but the comfort compares to nothing else. I use a Goliath, but have also used the Vipers, as well as the 180. I'd like to try the Titan as it is just a little bigger than the Goliath, but then again I am loosing weight finally so the bigger stand may not be an issue by next season.
    edited November -1

Rich is right about being able to locate a portable a lot easier. You can be EXACTLY where you need to be instead of as close as you can get to where you need to be because of lack of a climbable tree. Super important with a bow. You can also get in a tree with good cover. I hang plenty of portables before the season, but once there hung they usually stay put. Rich, do you actually set your Muddy up in the morning? Before the hunt? Id be too afraid of making too much noise.

Yes sir, The muddy has a loop on the strap. not metal hook like most other loc ons. The steps use a rope and a cam system.

I hate to do this cause myself and camera man just left Bills show but at this link there is a video that shows him setting it up. Obviously he's not worried about being quiet but it can be done very quietly. If you know how a ratchet strap works you'll know how to ratchet it without the clicking.

http://gomuddy.com/shopping/Departments/Stands.aspx

At this link is the stick set up. the little loop he ties after putting the rope threw the cam can be done with one hand. I also would like to agree with buckey, its personal preference really.

http://gomuddy.com/shopping/Departments/Climbing-Sticks.aspx
    edited November -1

Yes sir, The muddy has a loop on the strap. not metal hook like most other loc ons. The steps use a rope and a cam system.

I hate to do this cause myself and camera man just left Bills show but at this link there is a video that shows him setting it up. Obviously he's not worried about being quiet but it can be done very quietly. If you know how a ratchet strap works you'll know how to ratchet it without the clicking.

http://gomuddy.com/shopping/Departments/Stands.aspx

At this link is the stick set up. the little loop he ties after putting the rope threw the cam can be done with one hand. I also would like to agree with buckey, its personal preference really.

http://gomuddy.com/shopping/Departments/Climbing-Sticks.aspx

Wow, I really like the sticks. I wasn't familiar with them. Seems like a great idea. Super Quiet. How many sticks do you need to get 20+ feet? Looks like nice stuff, i like the features of the stand. Very reasonably priced too. You might have just made a few sales for them Rich[:D]
    edited November -1
    How high you get somewhat depends on your height. Longer legs can space them farther thus getting higher. I have 4 sections right now and would like to have just 1 more, I'm under 6'. If you call to order, you'll be happy you did. I forget her name now, I wanna say its Julie but couldnt say for certain, but absolutely pleasant to talk to. Did you see on the stand every 3 or 5 years you send the straps back and they send you new ones? their CS is top notch!